MAC Address of all devices connected to range extender showing as range extender MAC on modem

MAC Address of all devices connected to range extender showing as range extender MAC on modem

16 Reply
Re:MAC Address of all devices connected to range extender showing as range extender MAC on modem
2023-07-12 08:52:23 - last edited 2023-07-12 09:35:21

@Riley_S 

RE550 V1

I have the same problem and my device (IoT device) cannot set a static IP-address. Therefore I would need to reserve the adress using DHCP of router. Unfortunately thats not possible, because of the wrong MAC-address passthrough by the extender. Is there a possibility to rollout a firmware update in the near future, which fixes this problem and allows Proxy Mode at least? 

I must say, I am kind of frustrated. I don't want to buy another range extender, just because this one doesn't function properly. 

Options
Re:MAC Address of all devices connected to range extender showing as range extender MAC on modem
2023-07-12 18:29:38 - last edited 2023-07-12 18:30:12

@Alphabeet,

Almost all the REs that are sold and use the BlueUI from the last few years will use Proxy Mode for its addressing. If you haven't make sure that you are already using the latest firmware and can determine that your RE for sure is not using Proxy Mode already.

Also make sure that the addresses are in fact identical at the router, it should be that only the first half of the MAC address was changed. As seen in this FAQ: How to set up Mac Filtering on router (blue UI) to control the devices connected to the Range Extender

Options
2023-07-12 19:59:35 - last edited 2023-07-12 20:53:17

@Riley_S @Alphabeet 

As TP-Link tech support stated to me the RE550 only operates in "Universal Mode" previous community post and all client mac addresses are converted to a single mac address when sent to the connected router.  This is very unfortunate (that the RE550 does not support proxy) as many routers are not compatible with this Universal mode and will keep reseting the wifi connection between the client device and the router due to mac address conflicts.

If there is a way to change the RE550 to a proxy configuration, someone from TP Link should test and post directions specifically for the RE550.  After many hours of troubleshooting and working with the RE550 (I believe it had a "blue") UI, I had no success and had to get another router essentially leaving the RE550 as unusable. 

Unfortunately, I never found a proxy mode for this extender.

Thank you.

Options
2023-07-13 09:01:22 - last edited 2023-07-13 09:01:42

@asbstn @Riley_S 

It is exactly as stated out. My RE550 has the newest firmware version available for hardware V1.

So therefore it is an issue of the RE550 not my setup. That's why I was asking if TP-Link has the possibility to release a firmware update, which would fix this issue. It cannot be real, that I pay more than 50 € for a range extender, and it doesn't even function properly. I hope a future firmware update, which might be released ASAP can fix this.

Options
2023-10-16 18:40:20

@asbstn 

In my case I had got the thing working - except like you notice I started to hit issue where the IP address would be that of the repeater. Not cool.

So I have a TP-Link Archer 2800 v1 connected to FTTP.

This dishes an IP to the RE550. I had hoped that being the same brand it would "just work". Hmmh.

Finally I have a NetGear wpt2000 that received signal from the RE550 and serves another network.

Today I hit similar issue to you - I am wondering if part of the issue might be TPLink might have messed up the Mac on the device?

NETWORK MAC

2.4GHz xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-zE

5GHz    xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-zF

Wired   xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-zE

So my wired connections's Mac is apparently the same as the 2.4GHz.

The 5G is as 2.4G but incr the last hex digit.

Surely this is wrong - two ports with same mac? How on earth can another device supply a fixed IP based on Mac filtering?

Anyhow - this unit is likely going back to Amazon as even with its latest firmware the unit isnt fit for purpose (and my Archer shows TPLink happily abandons devices without support / firmware update)

Options
2024-03-10 06:55:26

Hello community, I have the same problem on my RE305. I have disabled DHCP and upgraded to the latest firmware, but I am unable to solve the problem. Is there a way to solve this on the RE305? It is causing multiple problems in my network and is starting to be very frustrating.

Options

Tags

MAC Address Conflict
Related Articles