Configurable names for clients show in EAP controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Configurable names for clients show in EAP controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
44 Reply
Re:Configurable names for clients show in EAP controller
2020-06-24 21:00:24

@matt25 It may or may not be necessary to stop the service. Just habit, since that's usually the right thing to do.

I'm glad you found this useful.

-- Kevin

Options
2020-06-24 22:06:21

Hi @kross , is there any chance something similar can be done on OC-200 hardware controller?

Options
2020-06-24 22:20:02

@jbtibor I don't think that's possible, since I don't think TP-Link provides SSH access to the OC200's. But I can't say for sure, since I don't have one of those.

Options
2020-07-18 13:00:12

@Dolphin following.  eagerly awaiting the ability to edit device names.   Cant keep track of all the amazon products and "unknowns"...

Options
2020-07-18 13:39:56

Reef-a-Holic wrote

eagerly awaiting the ability to edit device names.

Omada SDN Controller, which lets you define device names maually, was just released this week.

See the Omada Cloud SDN forum, the support sites for OC200 resp. Omada SW Controller and read the Omada Controller Upgrade Guide before doing an upgrade.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-07-18 22:07:44

R1D2 wrote

Reef-a-Holic wrote

eagerly awaiting the ability to edit device names.

Omada SDN Controller, which lets you define device names maually, was just released this week.

See the Omada Cloud SDN forum, the support sites for OC200 resp. Omada SW Controller and read the Omada Controller Upgrade Guide before doing an upgrade.

Yep, I just upgraded my Omada controller software to the latest SDN release, and we now have the ability to edit device names. Sweet!

If anyone wants to do this, make sure your firmware on your APs are up to date! The new software needs the latest firmware on the APs to function properly. The firmware upgrade is best done from the older version of the Omada software. Also, once you update the firmware, the APs will no longer be manageable from the old software, kinda forcing you to updade to the newer Omada software.

But I went through the process, and the new software really is a nice upgrade.

So thanks TP-Link!

Options
2020-07-18 22:13:23 - last edited 2020-07-18 22:14:04

kross wrote

The firmware upgrade is best done from the older version of the Omada software. Also, once you update the firmware, the APs will no longer be manageable from the old software, kinda forcing you to updade to the newer Omada software.

To minimize downtime you should first migrate the old controller to the new one and then upgrade the EAPs from the new controller (after adopting them in the new controller).

See also this post.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-07-18 23:30:01

@R1D2 There are some issues with the new SDN firmware on the oc200.  They still work and yes we can finally update the names of the devices but the NTP server can't deal with DST,  Automated backups fail and email out of it is real iffy.  Those are just the ones I saw when I upgraded.  

The network still worked so the core function didn't seem broken.   However, after a couple of days I reverted back to the prior version.  Not too much trouble but if you decide to revert you're going to have to do a hard reset on the eap225's.  There is a new secert password assigned to them and the controller with the older firmware can't adopt them with the new firmware.   Once you do you can restore the backup you made before the conversion and you're back in business on the prior firmware.

I'm going to wait till they put out the next release with the fixes and then try it again.

Options
2020-07-18 23:43:42

Renaming works well, thank you TP-Link :-)

One confusing issue I had was that my EAP245 v3 APs were on version 2.4.0, automatic update didn't detect an update and the latest FW on website was 2.20.0 what looks smaller than 2.4.0. But I downloaded and applied regardless and this made my APs work with the new controller version. I didn't have to adopt the APs at any point, they were included automatically after I restored the controller settings from backup, just couldn't manage them until FW was updated.

Options
2020-07-19 02:46:11

@R1D2 

so windows version only not the OC200 hardware box?  Hope they push that soon.  Just upgraded today and there was no difference so I guess those of us who bought the hardware must wait

Options
Related Articles