Can devices be restricted to certain Access Points?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-29 18:01:52 - last edited 2019-09-02 02:21:12

I have some (non-mobile) wireless automation devices that I want to associate exclusively with their nearest Access Points.

I want to do this so that if that nearest AP goes down, the devices simply lose connectivity, instead of reaching out to distant APs with which they might have poor connections that they are then slow to release.

I can think of three approaches to accomplishing this:

1. The best would be to be able to associate a given MAC exclusively with a single AP.

2. Or, though a hassle, be able to ban a given MAC from all APs except the one I want it to use.

3. Or, create some new SSIDs that only communicate over certain APs, and associate the devices with these new SSIDs.

Sadly, using Omada Controller 3.2.1, I can't find any way to do any of these things.

Does anyone know if any of these things are possible? Or have another approach to suggest?

Thanks very much!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can devices be restricted to certain Access Points?-Solution
2019-08-30 11:57:29 - last edited 2019-09-02 02:21:12

I Have done that on my accesspoint, Add a "Dummy" SSID in this case IoT And go to accespoint and wlans, add SSID Overrides . IoT device work mutch beter and are more stable with this configuration.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Can devices be restricted to certain Access Points?
2019-08-29 22:52:27

bland328 wrote

I can think of three approaches to accomplishing this:

1. The best would be to be able to associate a given MAC exclusively with a single AP

Could be done with MAC Filter/Filter Association. Drawback is that only allowed devices could use this AP.

2. Or, though a hassle, be able to ban a given MAC from all APs except the one I want it to use.

Could also be done with MAC Filter/Filter Association.

3. Or, create some new SSIDs that only communicate over certain APs, and associate the devices with these new SSIDs.

Could be done by adding an additional SSID to the WLAN group assigned to the radio.

See the Omada Controller User's Guide for information how to use 1., 2. or 3.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Can devices be restricted to certain Access Points?-Solution
2019-08-30 11:57:29 - last edited 2019-09-02 02:21:12

I Have done that on my accesspoint, Add a "Dummy" SSID in this case IoT And go to accespoint and wlans, add SSID Overrides . IoT device work mutch beter and are more stable with this configuration.

Recommended Solution
Options
2019-08-30 21:04:58

Thanks very much, both @R1D2 and @shberge!

That got me on the right track.  I now have it configured and working well, with my IoT devices on "override" SSIDs, successfully associating each with only a single AP.

Again, many thanks!

Options
2020-11-22 11:28:12

Hello everybody,

I have the same question and couldn`t find or understand the solution. And a look in forum more user search for this.

I have three devices 2 x EAP225 and 1 x EAP225-Wall  and use Omada softwarecontroller 4.2.4 on a synology docker

Where can I find a MAC white- or blacklist for the AP`s - with this function it was easy

I found a MAC white- or blacklist for the "Wlan`s" but does not help with the problem 

best regards mark

Options
2020-11-25 02:57:55

Dear @SunTi,

I have the same question and couldn`t find or understand the solution. And a look in forum more user search for this.

It's suggested to set a unique SSID for certain devices, you can configure SSID Override by referring to this post.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-12-03 08:08:24

Hello everybody,

@bland328 - yes in the new version 4.2.4 wlan overide works well - but I think MAC Filter on AP are more easier

Thank you mark

Options
2020-12-03 11:07:17

@bland328 Yes, as far as I know. The device can be restricted. I usually blocked other users to share my connection. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2458

Replies: 7