Sky MER

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Sky MER

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Sky MER
Sky MER
2019-09-26 10:09:50 - last edited 2020-10-23 10:15:19
Model: Archer C5400X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: V.1

Hi

Trying to connect Archer C5400X to Draytek Vigor 130 modem in bridge mode. This is to replace Sky Q router /modem.

At present WIFI turned off on Sky router/modem and purely using this as a modem. Having issues with broadband constantly dropping out due to ip issues.

Want to replace sky router/modem altogether with Draytek(informed this was a good all round modem).

Have i gone overboard in buying this router C5400x as it does not seem to deal with MER system that sky fibre uses.

From looking at other forums it seems cheaper Tp-Link modem/routers have a built in connection for Sky Mer.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I have tried technical support for both Tp - link and Draytek to no avail.

Regards

Gary

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Sky MER-Solution
2019-09-27 05:59:41 - last edited 2020-10-23 10:15:19

@GSJS 

So the WAN connection type provided by ISP is DHCP/MER, right? Actually, this connection type is special, it is similar to dynamic IP, but there is a special field called option 61.

Our TP-Link VR series modems support MER. Such as VR900, but SKY doesn’t allow third-party modem to connect, therefore we cannot ensure that our modem will definitely work with SKY.

While cause you bought Archer C5400X already, we can do some troubleshooting first.

With Draytek 130 connected to the WAN/blue port of the Archer C5400X, what is the internet IP address and default gateway after you set it up? You can login to the web UI of the Archer C5400X and show us a screenshot of the advanced-status page. 

Or you can configure the Sky Q router as router but disable the wifi, and then connect the Archer C5400X to the Sky Q router to verify whether it works well.

Besides, may I know when and where did  you buy it?

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Sky MER-Solution
2019-09-27 05:59:41 - last edited 2020-10-23 10:15:19

@GSJS 

So the WAN connection type provided by ISP is DHCP/MER, right? Actually, this connection type is special, it is similar to dynamic IP, but there is a special field called option 61.

Our TP-Link VR series modems support MER. Such as VR900, but SKY doesn’t allow third-party modem to connect, therefore we cannot ensure that our modem will definitely work with SKY.

While cause you bought Archer C5400X already, we can do some troubleshooting first.

With Draytek 130 connected to the WAN/blue port of the Archer C5400X, what is the internet IP address and default gateway after you set it up? You can login to the web UI of the Archer C5400X and show us a screenshot of the advanced-status page. 

Or you can configure the Sky Q router as router but disable the wifi, and then connect the Archer C5400X to the Sky Q router to verify whether it works well.

Besides, may I know when and where did  you buy it?

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Sky MER
2019-09-27 10:04:00

@Kevin_Z 

Hi

Bought via Sotel Gmbh 31 July 2019

I can use router connected to internet via SKY ER115 router/modem, Sky Modem has wifi disabled.

Iam trying to remove sky unit as it suffers from poor latency and issues with assigning i.p addresses. below shows connected direct to sky router/modem 

Options
2019-09-30 09:09:40

@GSJS 

Thanks for your reply. 

I understand that you want to remove the Sky router and use the Archer C5400X as the main router to replace it. 

While the point is that whether the Archer C5400X can work well without the sky router works as a bridge( wifi disabled, but still works like a router) due to the special DHCP/Mer connection type.

Anyway, you can give it a go and test whether the C5400X works well.

Otherwise, you may need use the sky router together to make C5400X access internet. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-12-20 10:34:44

@Kevin_Z 

Can you give me proper instructions on how to disable the wifi in Sky modem/router? I just bought a TP-Link Archer 6. The original plan was to hook the archer 6 to the sky internet directly but the cable connected to the old sky router/modem was not an ethernet cable. So it appears that I need still need the sky modem/router to enable my archer 6 to work. I just want to disable the wifi provided by the sky modem/router so that the only network that would appear is the network from my TP-Link Archer 6. Please help me. Thank you.

Kevin_Z wrote

@GSJS 

Thanks for your reply. 

I understand that you want to remove the Sky router and use the Archer C5400X as the main router to replace it. 

While the point is that whether the Archer C5400X can work well without the sky router works as a bridge( wifi disabled, but still works like a router) due to the special DHCP/Mer connection type.

Anyway, you can give it a go and test whether the C5400X works well.

Otherwise, you may need use the sky router together to make C5400X access internet. 

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8377

Replies: 4

Related Articles