Random ping to popular domains

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-26 06:58:38 - last edited 2022-03-22 06:26:49
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.1 Build 20190617 Rel. 47476

Hi,

Recently I have come across this random ping from my main deco m5 to popular domains such as live.com, amazon.com, reddit.com, linkedin.com, facebook.com, a.root-servers.net

My network setup TL-ER6120 as my main DHCP/ VPN Router, Raspberry Pi managing my DNS and 3x Deco M5 as AP.  My DNS log shows that the main Deco M5 is making this request each and every minute. 

I don't understand why if this is designed in such a way to work then aren't we contributing to a coordinated DDOS? First of all, why should it ping to these domains? If it's just to check if my connection is active/ up then why not google.com for the ping? there are other better ways to do the same

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Random ping to popular domains-Solution
2019-10-29 08:46:27 - last edited 2022-03-22 06:26:49

@aashishvanand 

Update:

Hello, thanks for the update.

Firstly, Deco device is a network device or system, just like your PC, it will need to resolve or send the DNS request to one or several of those domains or websites, such as the domain names mentioned here to detect the online connection and it is part of the green LED status, which means the internet is good on the system, only when Deco resolves the outside website successfully, can it display a solid green light (even when it is in AP mode). You may also check some other network devices from other manufacturers, they should be working like this and behaving the same.

Secondly, Deco only resolves the DNS domain names but it is not actually connecting or pinging to the websites, so please don't worry about the traffic or data usage in your network, it won't be much.

Additionally, different regions may have a different network or DNS domain limitations/restrictions, so it will try to resolve different domains based on your region, you may block some while it will connect to the others in order to keep the connection alive. If you block all the domains from your network, the Deco system will display a red light.

May this answer your inquiry.

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Random ping to popular domains-Solution
2019-10-29 08:46:27 - last edited 2022-03-22 06:26:49

@aashishvanand 

Update:

Hello, thanks for the update.

Firstly, Deco device is a network device or system, just like your PC, it will need to resolve or send the DNS request to one or several of those domains or websites, such as the domain names mentioned here to detect the online connection and it is part of the green LED status, which means the internet is good on the system, only when Deco resolves the outside website successfully, can it display a solid green light (even when it is in AP mode). You may also check some other network devices from other manufacturers, they should be working like this and behaving the same.

Secondly, Deco only resolves the DNS domain names but it is not actually connecting or pinging to the websites, so please don't worry about the traffic or data usage in your network, it won't be much.

Additionally, different regions may have a different network or DNS domain limitations/restrictions, so it will try to resolve different domains based on your region, you may block some while it will connect to the others in order to keep the connection alive. If you block all the domains from your network, the Deco system will display a red light.

May this answer your inquiry.

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Random ping to popular domains
2022-02-22 03:22:44

I'm noticing the same behavior on an AX1500.  It's in AP mode and set to a static IP address and there's no way to specify DNS addresses.  It seems to be resolving them from the router, which then forwards the requests to the actual dns servers.

This is the list of domain names that I'm seeing resolved over and over, one every minute or two, somewhat randomly.

amazon.com
bing.com
ebay.com
google.com
linkedin.com
live.com
netflix.com
reddit.com
tp-link.com
wikipedia.org
yahoo.com

I understand the purpose, and it's fine.  There could also be some value in having some domains pre-resolved and cached.  Though some of them I'll rarely visit.

Options