Cannot connect to SMB share from Chromebook

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-22 20:29:41
Model: Archer A2300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.3

I have a 500GB drive connected to my Archer 2300 router and have smb sharing set up via its web app. I can connect to the share with no problem from my Mac and from my Android devices. I can connect to the share from my Chromebook using any of a number of Android apps but when I try connecting using the Chromebook's native smb client I am told that there is an error. No details are given as to what the error might be. I have no problem connecting the Chromebook to the network shares on my Mac.

I am led to believe that Chrome OS may need SMBv3 in order for it to connect although I am not 100% sure of this.

Does anyone know what version of smb is used by the Archer 2300 router? If it's v2 (or v1) then is it possible to change it?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Cannot connect to SMB share from Chromebook
2019-11-23 10:16:25

@peteywetey 

Hi, the Archer A2300 supports SMB V2 already. 

Cause the MAC and Android devices can access the HDD via the USB sharing function of the A2300, it should be working properly. 

Try to plug the HDD into the USB port of the chromebook directly and verify whether it can connect to the HDD. 

Besides, you can give a call to the tech support of the chromebook to verify whether it supports SMB V2. 

May it help. 

Options
2019-11-23 15:13:09

@Kevin_Z  Thanks Kevin. Chrome OS only seems to support SMBv3. Is there any chance that a future version of the Archer 2300 firmware will support v3 too?

Options
2019-11-25 03:22:34

@peteywetey 

Not sure yet, as far as I know, SMB V2 is still the mainstream; for the SMB V3, we have noted that and will forward it to our RD team. 

You can keep an eye on offcial website for more updates.

Best regards. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1444

Replies: 3

Related Articles