Extend existing wireless network with wired access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-25 23:17:33 - last edited 2020-03-31 09:51:30
Model: TL-WA901ND  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 3.16.9 Build 160929 Rel.37753n

Hi,

I have an existing wireless network using a Plusnet router, the Plusnet router broadcasts a wireless network and is also the hub of the house wired network.

I have a blind spot in part of the house that the wireless doesn't reach, but this space does have a network port on the wall which connects to the Plusnet router.

I'd like to set up the TL-WA901ND to provide wireless in this blind area, I'd like the TL-WA901ND to broadcast the same SSID as the Plusnet router and connect back to the Plusnet router via a network cable.

What configuration is best for this, Access Point perhaps? Does this configuration work if the Plusnet router is also broadcasting a wireless network with the same SSID?

I'd appriciate some advise.

Thanks.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Extend existing wireless network with wired access point-Solution
2020-03-26 07:47:07 - last edited 2020-03-31 09:51:30

@archie456 

Hi, you can configure the TL-WA901ND as the access point mode. And you can log into the web UI to change the wireless name and password to the same as the main router's. 

Here is the instruction: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1603/

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Extend existing wireless network with wired access point
2020-03-26 07:27:36
I have basically the very same question. I will follow this as I am also using a TL-WA901ND. All help will be appreciated.
Options
Re:Extend existing wireless network with wired access point-Solution
2020-03-26 07:47:07 - last edited 2020-03-31 09:51:30

@archie456 

Hi, you can configure the TL-WA901ND as the access point mode. And you can log into the web UI to change the wireless name and password to the same as the main router's. 

Here is the instruction: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1603/

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-03-26 11:44:54

@Kevin_Z 

Thats great - thanks.

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

I read somewhere that you should disable DCHP so that the access point does not give out IP addresses that are already in use by the wireless router.

Also, somewhere else it stated that it was important to ensure that the wireless router and wireless access point are using the same encryption (WPA2 or something like that).

I'm also unsure if I should change any settings with the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz broadcasts - is it OK if both routers are broadcasting on both bands?

Cheers.

Options
2020-03-31 09:51:22

@archie456 

You do not have to change DHCP server settings, it supports smart DHCP, once there is a DHCP server detected, the DHCP server function on 901ND will be disabled. 

And it is okay that both devices broadcast 2.4GHz and 5GHz. 

You can use the same encryption for the wireless network, WPA2-PSK is recommended. 

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 2429

Replies: 4

Related Articles