Cannot setup the TP-Link EAP 225-Outdoor

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Cannot setup the TP-Link EAP 225-Outdoor

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
20 Reply
Re:Cannot setup the TP-Link EAP 225-Outdoor
2020-05-27 18:57:49

@JSchnee21 

Set the laptop as follows:

Laptop IP - 192.168.0.99

Subnet mask - 255.255.255.00

Gateway - 192.168.0.1

Powered on the AP and typed 192.168.0.254 in the address bar of my browser - I get a No Internet message

I have first tried connecting this AP directly to my FIOS router and couldn't get it working.  Then I connected to my Asus router (which is in turn connected to my FIOS router) and still not working.  The direct connection to the laptop fails as well.  

I really think I got a damaged unit.

Options
2020-05-27 19:59:08 - last edited 2020-05-27 20:01:03

@cgcmgr70, did you perform a factory reset already? If the EAP blinks green slowly, it has been managed before, but no connection to a controller. Maybe you got a device which was configured by someone else who eventually returned it before you got it.

First, perform a factory reset: press the RESET button for 5-7 seconds until the EAP LED starts blinking.
Shortly thereafter, the EAP reboots and you will see a red-orange-green cycle.

The green LED blinks during boot and finally stays on permanently.

Next, connect your laptop/PC directly with the EAP (through the PoE injector). Set the laptop to static IP 192.168.0.10 and netmask 255.255.255.0, nothing else. Open a browser and address the EAP using its default IP 192.168.0.254.

Type exactly this URL including the trailing slash ('/'):

http://192.168.0.254/

Beware of the browser suggesting other names (such as www.192.168.0.254). Don't use a config domain (tplinkeap.net or whatever), always use IPs.

If you still can't manage to load the EAP's web UI, it might be broken.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-05-27 21:05:06

@R1D2 

I'll give it a shot.  I have factory reset the AP a few times prior to your post.  It does what you said, but the green light is not steady.  It blinks off and on slowly (every 4-5 seconds).

I'll report back with my results.

Options
2020-05-27 21:19:35

@R1D2 

Still no good.  I just get a No Internet message when trying to hit the AP's server.  Looks like it's going back to Amazon.  It was in a sealed box shrinked wrapped and all.  I guess these things happen.

Thanks for all the help and quick responses guys.  I really appreciate it!

Options
2020-10-24 21:49:01

@cgcmgr70 

I'm having the exact issue  as the OP.

My phone never gets an IP from the EAP when trying to connect phone to the EAP's SSID.

But for some reason I can connect map laptop to the EAP built in SSID.

But it never assigns my laptop an IP address (must be the same issue as the phone).

But on my laptop I can set the IP address manually to 192.168.0.100 and 255.255.255.0 netmask and then connect Chrome browser to http://192.168.0.254 and get the login page.  I put in the admin/admin and then next step is to put in my home Wifi SSID and Wifi password so I put in the SSIDs and pw for both my 2.4 and 5 GHz networks and click Save.  I get a long progress bar showing it's applying.

When that finishes it says SUCCESS! and shows my two wifi SSIDs and has a checkbox saying "I've connected to my device's network" that I have to check to enable the NEXT button.  Clicking NEXT fails because the EAP has stopped broadcasting its built-in SSIDs and I'm assuming has connected to my home wifi.

BUT when I open up the client list on my wifi router's admin page I don't see the EAP's MAC address so it's not actually connected.

I don't have any MAC block/allow lists so that's not it.  It's just not connecting to my home wifi at all.  I'm assuming because I wan't able to get to that next page in the configuration?

I can see that the EAP stops broadcasting its internal SSIDs and is not connected to the wifi even though I triple checked the password.

Also it would not probably have given me that SUCCESS page after applying my home wifi SSIDs and PWs.

So it seems to be getting stuck in the middle of setup and not working.

Issues:

1. When connecting to the EAP's built in WiFi SSIDs it never assigns an IP address to the client.

2. After manually "hacking" in by setting your own client IP address it never signs on to the WiFi network you gave it.

Options
2020-10-24 22:21:04

@RAMGarden 

I just watched one of the videos on the TPLink website and it showed the non-outdoor model but they plugged an ethernet cable from the LAN into the POE box so I decided to try that just to see.  I plugged in the ethernet cables and everything right next to my home router and powered it on and did a factory reset by holding the reset button inside the bottom of the EAP for 8 seconds.  I was then able to see the built-in SSIDs on my phone again so I tried to connect.  This time it immediately assigned my phone an IP address!  I was then able to see the EAP in the Omada app under the Standalone tab.  I tapped it and it asked for me to set a new password.  So I did.  Then it wanted me to set the new WiFI SSIDs.  I saw this time it was pre-populated with the same built in SSIDs and made me think, wait does this EAP need to create its OWN wifi SSIDs?? I thought it was a WiFi EXTENDER that just made my existing wifi reach further?  I thought I could hook this up to an outdoor outlet on the outside of my house where my wifi signal is weak then it would boost it out into the yard.  Is that not what this EAP can do?  Do I really need to run an ethernet cable through the wall from my inside wifi router out to the POE block?  I thought I was buying a wifi extender that would just boost my wifi signal using only a power outlet?  I am starting to think this EAP is just a plain wifi ACCESS POINT that turns wired LAN into wireless LAN.  

I created new wifi SSIDs and passwords and now I can connect my phone/laptop etc to that wifi and of course that works great because it's plugged into my router over ethernet.

I thought I could type in my EXISTING home wifi SSIDs and password and it would just EXTEND that network.

Options
2020-10-26 08:11:03 - last edited 2020-10-26 08:12:42

Dear @RAMGarden,

Thank you for posting the detailed information, which is very helpful to address the problem.

I am starting to think this EAP is just a plain wifi ACCESS POINT that turns wired LAN into wireless LAN.  

Correct. The EAP225-Outdoor is just a wireless access point. It is required to hardwire to the root router via Ethernet cable.

If you want to use it to deploy the network wirelessly, you may add a 2nd EAP225-Outdoor and use the mesh feature to make it.

To learn more about the EAP Mesh feature, it's recommended to read the following FAQ.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2283/ 

Note: the root AP needs to hardwire to the network, and Omada Controller is required to configure the Mesh function.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-10-26 13:05:05

@Fae 

Do you sell a device that works like I explained?  I don't want to buy TWO devices, since my Wifi already reaches out to my front gate where I have an Arlo camera but the signal is about 40-50% strength there.  I was hoping to just plug a device into my outside outlet on the front of my house that would pick up my Wifi and boost it out across the yard.  I see now that I could do this with two EAPs but why would I need to buy another wifi access point for inside the house when I already have my home router wifi access point?  I have an Asus wifi router that has it's own AI Mesh technology but the only wifi extenders I can find are not outdoor rated.  Does no one build an outdoor rated WiFi EXTENDER to extend your existing wifi range?

Options
2020-10-26 14:51:18

RAMGarden wrote

Does no one build an outdoor rated WiFi EXTENDER to extend your existing wifi range?

That's not as easy, because in some regions the 5 GHz indoor channels are not allowed to be used outdoors, so the WLAN cannot just become extended wirelessly.

What's more, wireless extenders are not used in business scenarios at all b/c of their disadvantages, thus you hardly find such a device in SMB product lines.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2021-06-24 21:09:07 - last edited 2021-06-25 13:37:54

Hi everyone!

I'd like to add some info to this topic.

I'm setting up my new EAP225-Outdoor and had an issue after a few minutes navigating on tplinkeap.net management page. It stopped reaching the page while there still had internet. I couldn't reach neither tplinkeap.net nor the IP address the main router gave to the EAP nor the IP address of the main router.

I factory resetted it a few times for desperation.

Finally I figured out the cause of the problem.

I wanted to setup the wireless to isolate clients which feature TP-Link recently calls "Guest network".

After setting up Guest network I can't reach the device (nor the main router) from its wireless connection. However, I can reach it connecting my computer to to main router.

On one hand I see it as a bug because Guest network doesn't have to mean management vlan being turned on.

On the other hand I can recognize it as a safe setup, thus noone can break into the network via wifi but it should be noted in the setup page under the Guest network option.

Another interesting detail is that my freshly bought device has the firmware version 5.0.4 Build 20210520 Rel. 67983(4555) while the latest one published on TP-Link product page is still on version number 5.0.3

I'm happy I didn't get a product that sat in a warehouse for months/years and got one with the newest firmware not even available for public but that's weird why isn't it published for earlier birds. Imagine if someone already had the same EAP products and just extended his/her arsenal with a new one, we all know that same type of devices with different firmware in the same network is not the best case scenario.

Edit:

This is going to be a problem in my situation where I was going to connect the eap device into a port of an easy smart switch that has MTU VLAN set up. It means, after I turn Guest Network on, it won't be reachable because via wifi it couldn't by this nature and via local network also couldn't because of the vlan isolation.

That's really bad, I won't be able to monitor the wirelessly connected devices.

Only work around I see is connecting this eap into the lan port of another (not eap) access point that is connected to the switch and connecting to that other AP wired or wirelessly.

Options
Related Articles