MESH - 5 EAP's hardwired, one MESH: will the hardwired EAP use UTP instead of MESH

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

MESH - 5 EAP's hardwired, one MESH: will the hardwired EAP use UTP instead of MESH

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-30 13:53:06
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Latest

Hi,

I have 3 EAP 225, 1 EAP245, 1 EAP 225 Wall and 1 EAP 225 outdoor.

All those EAP's are hardwired to the POE switch, only the EAP225 Outdoor isn't.

My question: if I activate Mesh (to use the EAP225 outdoor), will all the other EAP's keep using the fast UTP connection or will they all switch to 'slower' Mesh mode (so utp cable not used) except from the 'master' EAP.

Options
10 Reply
Re:MESH - 5 EAP's hardwired, one MESH: will the hardwired EAP use UTP instead of MESH
2020-06-30 13:59:55

Hi @Ernieken,

Welcome.  No, all AP's will prefer hardwired/UTP/ethernet connections if available.  And only devices which you have specifically configured to be able to use MESH (e.g. your outdoor unit) will do so anyway.

Additionally, I believe only your EAP225V3 (master node) and EAP225-Outdoor (wirelessly MESHed) even support MESH.  The 245 and 225-Wall do not currently support MESH.  (there is a beta firmware for the 245).

-Jonathan

Options
Re:MESH - 5 EAP's hardwired, one MESH: will the hardwired EAP use UTP instead of MESH
2020-06-30 14:09:36

@JSchnee21 Ok thanks for the answer.

So not all my AP's seem to be mesh-aware. Doest it mean I can't use this function at all (global setting on the cloud controller I believe) or does it mean that only the EAP225 hardwired EAP's can communicate with the wireless connected EAP 225 outdoor?

Where can I find the Bèta firmware?

Thanks,

Hans

Options
2020-06-30 14:31:12

Hi @Ernieken

"So not all my AP's seem to be mesh-aware. Doest it mean I can't use this function at all (global setting on the cloud controller I believe) or does it mean that only the EAP225 hardwired EAP's can communicate with the wireless connected EAP 225 outdoor?"

Correct.  This is not a concern.  Your EAP225V3 (indoor) will be configured to be the master node (aka uplink) for the MESH.  And your EAP225V1-Outdoor will be the client (aka download) for the MESH.  Wirelessly MESH'ed AP's are only associated / linked to one master node AP at a time.

If you plan to run Omada Server 24x7 or have an OC-200 it is possible to enable the MESH network to dynamically reconfigure itself -- if you have multiple master nodes enabled, for example.  But I don't know if this capabilities supports the EAP245 Beta or EAP255-Wall firmwares.

"Where can I find the Bèta firmware?"

I believe you need to contact TP-Link support to get a copy.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-06-30 14:35:47

Hi @Ernieken,

Just to clarify MESH has nothing to do with wireless client / STA roaming.  In a perfect world, all access points would be hard wired with Ethernet.  The TP-Link EAP wireless MESH capability enables you to wirelessly link supported units (e.g. the Outdoor unit) which cannot be easily hard wired.

Note that when additional AP's are MESHed, total user capacity does not increase (as there is overhead associated with the MESH communications) and DL/UL speeds on the MESH'ed AP (Outdoor) will be slower than they are from Ethernet connected AP's.

MESH is a convenience feature and does not improve performance, per se.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-06-30 15:07:45 - last edited 2020-06-30 15:23:54

@Ernieken,

I would see it this way: If you enable the global Mesh setting, every wired EAP225 or EAP225-Outdoor becomes a root node of the mesh, meaning other (non-root) mesh nodes can uplink to them. There is no further configuration necessary for root nodes: if you connect an EAP225 to the network, it automatically becomes a root node; whether it is actually used as such or not doesn't matter. OTOH, if you unplug an EAP225 from the network, it can work as a mesh node. All you need to do (only once) is to link the mesh node to a root node or to an uplink node, which can be either a root node or even another mesh node – one click in the appropriate menu:

See also the EAP Mesh FAQ.

Additional note: if you're located in the EU, keep in mind that indoor-only channels cannot be used by an EAP225-Outdoor (forbidden by law). So, EAP225 set to indoor-only channels can not be used as an uplink node for outdoor EAPs. If you want to link them, you need to set the indoor EAP to a fixed channel allowed also outdoors.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-06-30 17:18:16 - last edited 2020-06-30 17:48:55

@Ernieken 

Thank you all for the interesting answers. It's now completely clear to me.

Goal was indeed to minimize mesh-connected AP's in my house, so now all EAP's are hardwired except the outdoor EAP which is 'mesh-wired'.

One small question though: how to update the EAP firmware using the file I received from support? Apparently I can only install the firmware from the GUI and I don't have the option to browse for a file.

Options
2020-06-30 19:02:04

Hi @Ernieken,

In Omada, if you go to "Access Points" and then Click on "Overview" or "Config" on the right hand side you will see a little up arrow under "Action".  This will open the AP Firmware Upgrade dialog (see picture below).

You can then browse to the firmware file.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-06-30 19:41:53

@JSchnee21 Hi Jonathan,

Yes i thought indeed the option to choose a firmware file was in that window but when I do the same as you the last line, the one for browsing a file, is missing.

I'm an administrator on the system and I'm running the cloud controller. I remember once the option to choose a file was there so strangely it disappeared.

Options
2020-06-30 19:55:02

Hi @Ernieken,

For security reasons, I believe you have to go through the direct, internal IP route (e.g. 192.168.1.64 in my case) to connect to the Omada controller and not through the cloud gateway (e.g. omada.tplinkcloud.com)

-Jonathan

Options
2020-06-30 20:01:35

@JSchnee21 

Yes, that was it! Works fine when I logon locally.

Thanks for helping me!

Hans

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1422

Replies: 10

Related Articles