Omada App vs software vs oc200?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-09 14:18:23 - last edited 2020-10-16 06:14:35

Building a new house pre-wired for multiple access points with Ethernet backhaul.  Saw the omada as very affordable solution.  But can't figure out some details.

Keep in mind this is for residential usage

1)  I read somewhere that the roaming works faster with a controller, is that true?

2) what does the controller offer functionality wise over standalone or the omada app? I mean any actual functional/operational difference beyond centralized management and reporting? like #1 above?

3) does the controller software need to be on 24/7 (maybe a raspberry) or can it be started up on demand (windows version) without lost of functionality per #1 and #2 above?

4) oc200 vs raspberry 3. Looking at a $60 difference.  Any performance difference? I read that it maybe slow on the raspberry? Any where I can download pre built image for free to avoid all the package install?

Any idea when eap235-wall will be released? The gigabit is much more preferable than the 10/100 on the eap225-wall.

Price point of the eap6 series? I don't really have any ax devices but future proofing would be nice if the price premium isn't too much over eap2 series

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Omada App vs software vs oc200?-Solution
2020-07-12 09:06:45 - last edited 2020-10-16 06:14:35

Bitz wrote

1)  I read somewhere that the roaming works faster with a controller, is that true?

As Fae wrote already, fast roaming requires a) clients which support 802.11k/v and b) to run Omada controller 24/7. Fast roaming differs from basic roaming (defined in even the first version of 802.11) by having the controller provide a list of nearby EAPs to clients, thus clients do not need to perform a wireless survey when changing WiFi cells. See also this FAQ: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2097/

Therefore the answer is: Yes, using Omada controller can provide faster roaming to clients which support 802.11k/v.

It does not provide faster roaming to clients not supporting 802.11k/v. Such clients can still use basic roaming.

4) oc200 vs raspberry 3. Looking at a $60 difference.  Any performance difference? I read that it maybe slow on the raspberry? Any where I can download pre built image for free to avoid all the package install?

The official version of Omada SW controller from TP-Link avoids 3rd party package installs since it comes bundled with Oracle's Java JRE and mongodb database. However, since it includes the java and mongod binaries, the TP-Link package is architecture-dependent and runs only on i386/amd64 platforms. RasPi is based on ARM architecture and therefore the versions of JRE/mongodb bundled in TP-Link's Omada controller won't run on a RasPi.

The community version of Omada SW controller found here is architecture-independend and can be installed on Raspbian, too. Since Java JRE and mongodb packages come pre-installed on Raspbian, you can install this version of Omada controller on a RasPi. What's more, it supports latest version of Oracle's JRE as well as latest mongodb version, which gives you the benefit of latest security patches to JRE/mongodb.

However, there are some points to consider:

• RasPi 3B has only 1GB RAM (affects maximum number of EAPs you can manage with Omada Controller on a RasPi).

• Raspbian allows one to replace Oracle JRE with OpenJDK, which won't work with Omada Controller. You need to ensure to select Oracle's JRE instead; this might require a package re-install (instructions how to install Oracle JRE can be found in the Raspbian forum).

• Due to the way Omada Controller starts mongod, you need to disable automatic startup of Raspbian's pre-installed mongod at boot time. This means that other programs can not use mongod.

If you are not familiar with Linux/Raspbian, I suggest to use OC200 rather than a RasPi.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Omada App vs software vs oc200?
2020-07-12 05:03:44

@Bitz 

Hi, 

Building a new house pre-wired for multiple access points with Ethernet backhaul.  Saw the omada as very affordable solution.  But can't figure out some details.

Keep in mind this is for residential usage

2) what does the controller offer functionality wise over standalone or the omada app? I mean any actual functional/operational difference beyond centralized management and reporting? like #1 above?

3) does the controller software need to be on 24/7 (maybe a raspberry) or can it be started up on demand (windows version) without lost of functionality per #1 and #2 above?

Any idea when eap235-wall will be released? The gigabit is much more preferable than the 10/100 on the eap225-wall.

Price point of the eap6 series? I don't really have any ax devices but future proofing would be nice if the price premium isn't too much over eap2 series 

1) Not really. Roaming is a behavior on the wireless clients.We have some EAP models that support Fast Roaming feature (802.11k/V standard), which allows your Wi-Fi clients to switch their connection from one AP to another quickly to get stronger Wi-Fi signal, improving your Wi-Fi experience. Note that fast roaming requires the wireless clients to support 802.11k/V as well.

2) 3) This FAQ could answer the questions clearly. In short, some advanced features are only supported by Omada Controller, some of them are required the controller to keep running.

4) OC200 can be taken as a computer installing the Omada Controller software. Our Omada Controller software is for free, here is the download link.

As for when a new device will become available, please visit TP-Link website in your region and search the full model to check its status, and you can check the price from the market when the new device is available in your region.

Thank you for your attention and support on our products!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:Omada App vs software vs oc200?-Solution
2020-07-12 09:06:45 - last edited 2020-10-16 06:14:35

Bitz wrote

As Fae wrote already, fast roaming requires a) clients which support 802.11k/v and b) to run Omada controller 24/7. Fast roaming differs from basic roaming (defined in even the first version of 802.11) by having the controller provide a list of nearby EAPs to clients, thus clients do not need to perform a wireless survey when changing WiFi cells. See also this FAQ: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2097/

Therefore the answer is: Yes, using Omada controller can provide faster roaming to clients which support 802.11k/v.

It does not provide faster roaming to clients not supporting 802.11k/v. Such clients can still use basic roaming.

The official version of Omada SW controller from TP-Link avoids 3rd party package installs since it comes bundled with Oracle's Java JRE and mongodb database. However, since it includes the java and mongod binaries, the TP-Link package is architecture-dependent and runs only on i386/amd64 platforms. RasPi is based on ARM architecture and therefore the versions of JRE/mongodb bundled in TP-Link's Omada controller won't run on a RasPi.

The community version of Omada SW controller found here is architecture-independend and can be installed on Raspbian, too. Since Java JRE and mongodb packages come pre-installed on Raspbian, you can install this version of Omada controller on a RasPi. What's more, it supports latest version of Oracle's JRE as well as latest mongodb version, which gives you the benefit of latest security patches to JRE/mongodb.

However, there are some points to consider:

• RasPi 3B has only 1GB RAM (affects maximum number of EAPs you can manage with Omada Controller on a RasPi).

• Raspbian allows one to replace Oracle JRE with OpenJDK, which won't work with Omada Controller. You need to ensure to select Oracle's JRE instead; this might require a package re-install (instructions how to install Oracle JRE can be found in the Raspbian forum).

• Due to the way Omada Controller starts mongod, you need to disable automatic startup of Raspbian's pre-installed mongod at boot time. This means that other programs can not use mongod.

If you are not familiar with Linux/Raspbian, I suggest to use OC200 rather than a RasPi.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Omada App vs software vs oc200?
2021-02-26 02:48:35

@Bitz 

Hello

Someone knows how I can access this path \Omada Controller\work\omada-web\webapp\WEB-INF\omada\theme\img\portal on OC200 ?

I want to copy my own logo to use it in the customize web file for captive portal.

Thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4226

Replies: 3

Related Articles