Non-Deco AP using Deco SSID?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-19 03:42:38 - last edited 2020-08-25 06:27:19
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have just ordered a M9 Plus 3 pack and have a question about my setup.

I will be setting up the main Deco unit as an AP as I want to make use of my current router (Netgear Nighthawk R6700) as the gateway due to the multiple ethernet ports available.  I have an ethernet cable running the length of my house into a distant room.  In that room, I currently have another router acting as an access point that broadcasts the same SSID as my main router.  

When I setup the Deco mesh network, what happens if I let that (non-Deco) hardwired AP stay connected as is?  Included in that is continuing to let it broadcast the same SSID used by the Deco mesh?  I know it won't join the mesh network, but will my devices see 2 networks with the same name that they can join?  Will this cause conflicts?

Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Non-Deco AP using Deco SSID?-Solution
2020-08-25 06:27:02 - last edited 2020-08-25 06:27:19

@HarlanPepper 

Hello,

Generally, it is not suggested to set the SSID on the Deco app to be the same as the existing wireless network, which may be hard to tell whether your phone connects to the Deco network or to the existing. When Deco works with an existing router, it is suggested to turn off the router's Wi-Fi network and use Deco's Wi-Fi network instead to minimize the wireless interference.

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Non-Deco AP using Deco SSID?-Solution
2020-08-25 06:27:02 - last edited 2020-08-25 06:27:19

@HarlanPepper 

Hello,

Generally, it is not suggested to set the SSID on the Deco app to be the same as the existing wireless network, which may be hard to tell whether your phone connects to the Deco network or to the existing. When Deco works with an existing router, it is suggested to turn off the router's Wi-Fi network and use Deco's Wi-Fi network instead to minimize the wireless interference.

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Non-Deco AP using Deco SSID?
2020-08-25 09:49:00

@TP-Link_Deco thank you. 
I understand how to set Deco to AP mode to use w existing router. But is it possible to flip that and let Deco be main router and make existing router be an AP?  This would allow me to make use of Deco's routing abilities while using other router fo hardwired devices (and satellite Decos)

Options
2020-08-26 12:04:01

@HarlanPepper 

Hi,

Yes, we can connect or add another router or range extender to the Deco network via Wi-Fi or wired to extend the Wi-Fi range, and Deco will act like a normal router to provide internet to those devices.

However, Deco can't build a mesh network with those non-Deco devices. The Deco Mesh is the technology only used on TP-Link Deco products for the Mesh network.

Thanks.

Options
2020-08-26 19:07:47

@TP-Link_Deco Thank you.  I understand but have one follow up:

If I make a Deco be the main router, then hardwire a non-Deco router (w/WiFi off) as an AP, then hardwire another Deco to the AP, can that satellite join the mesh?  

In other words:

Main Deco as router --ethernet-->Netgear Nighthawk as no WiFi AP --ethernet--> slave Decos.    <----Will these slaves be able to join the mesh since they are hardwired to a non-mesh AP?

The Netgear AP will hardwire to 2 slave Decos for house coverage, and will also hardwire to a PS4, but that doesn't have to be in the mesh.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

Options
2020-08-27 07:52:26

@HarlanPepper 

Hi, yes, they can still build up the mesh network between those Deco units. No worries.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1010

Replies: 5

Related Articles