Bridge Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Bridge Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Bridge Mode
Bridge Mode
2020-10-30 00:38:40 - last edited 2020-10-30 08:57:57
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am looking to upgrade one of my current routers to a Wi-Fi 6 router. My current setup involves two routers one is two stores below me and works in router mode and the other is connected via an Ethernet cable and works in what is called bridge mode (not to be confused with the wireless bridge mode). I have computers connected to both routers via LAN cables and via wireless. They form a single LAN network but I have two separate wireless networks. I would like to replicate the same setup. Looking at the docs for Archer AX50 I see it supports something called AP mode. It is not clear to me if the LAN ports continue to work in this mode (as a switch) and also if in this mode I will have a wifi network distinct from the one of my main router. Can someone explain that?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Bridge Mode-Solution
2020-10-30 08:57:52 - last edited 2020-10-30 08:57:57

@StilgarNaib 

Hello, thanks for asking.

The AX50 supports router modem and AP mode. When it works in AP mode, all the clients will be in the same LAN subnet, no matter it is connected to the main router or to this AP network.

When the AX50 works as the wireless router mode, and we enable the Guest Network, the clients connected to the Guest Network cannot access the main network, so the guest clients are separated from the main.

However, under the AP mode, the Guest Network will not be separated from the main network. Clients connected to the guest network can access to the main network.

If you want to separate the wireless clients to different networks, you need to configure the AX50 as your main router.

Please let us know if you might need additional suggestions, thanks.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-10-30 09:35:06 - last edited 2020-10-30 09:35:52

@StilgarNaib 

Hi, 

Let's make it clearer as the below:

Main router (A)----PC X

\------Router B (AP mode)-----------PC Y

You want to be sure if PC Y and X will be in the same network/subnet, right? Yes, they belong to the same network, and the IP address on both X and Y are assigned by the main Router A.

Hope this makes sense.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
2020-10-30 08:57:52 - last edited 2020-10-30 08:57:57

@StilgarNaib 

The AX50 supports router modem and AP mode. When it works in AP mode, all the clients will be in the same LAN subnet, no matter it is connected to the main router or to this AP network.

When the AX50 works as the wireless router mode, and we enable the Guest Network, the clients connected to the Guest Network cannot access the main network, so the guest clients are separated from the main.

However, under the AP mode, the Guest Network will not be separated from the main network. Clients connected to the guest network can access to the main network.

If you want to separate the wireless clients to different networks, you need to configure the AX50 as your main router.

Please let us know if you might need additional suggestions, thanks.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Bridge Mode
2020-10-30 09:06:30

@Kevin_Z I am not asking about the Guest Wireless network. I am asking about the ethernet ports. If I have a computer X connected to router A, router B in AP mode connected to router A and computer Y connected to router B with ethernet cable will computer Y be on the same network as computer A and will it have Internet access. The docs make it sound as if all non-wireless stuff is turned off in AP mode which doesn't make much sense to me. From the docs "Wireless Access Point is only designed to provide wireless connection."

Options
2020-10-30 09:35:06 - last edited 2020-10-30 09:35:52

@StilgarNaib 

Hi, 

Let's make it clearer as the below:

Main router (A)----PC X

\------Router B (AP mode)-----------PC Y

You want to be sure if PC Y and X will be in the same network/subnet, right? Yes, they belong to the same network, and the IP address on both X and Y are assigned by the main Router A.

Hope this makes sense.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-10-30 09:39:27

@Kevin_Z thanks that's what I wanted to know. I am also wondering if there will be two separate wifi networks from the two routers. I realize that once connected the devices will be part of the same network/subnet but it is not clear to me if devices will see one or two wifi networks before connecting and if they will use separate credentials to connect to each of the networks. (Again talking about AP mode)

Options
2020-10-30 12:18:35

@StilgarNaib 

When configuring in the AP mode, you can either have the same SSID and password on the AX50 as on the main router, or you can set up a different SSID and password, but they will still belong to the same network/subnet even though they are connected to different SSIDs.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6582

Replies: 5

Related Articles