Votes

OpenVPN Missing field for Username and Password in Client Options

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

OpenVPN Missing field for Username and Password in Client Options

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
50 Reply
Re:OpenVPN Missing field for Username and Password in Client Options
2022-10-27 00:39:04

Hi  @Fae 
Is there any update on the planned update for "OpenVPN supporting Username and Password authentication". It's now end of October?
A revised ETA would be helpful.

Options
2022-10-27 01:27:27

Hi @Fae ,

BTW I thought I'd revisit the specifications to see if I had missed something before purchasing. I went through both the "ER605 (TL-R605) V2" and the "ER7206"...
I must say that re-reading the spec's I still looks like Open VPN is just fine for both these TP-Link routers. However, the devil was found in the fine print...
No where does it mention that OpenVPN does NOT support Username and Password authentication in Stand-Alone mode. You need to deduce the fact via a deep understanding of how the Omada ecosystem works...
A case of buyer beware...
See below:
-------------------------------------------------------------

ER605 (TL-R605) V2:

https://www.tp-link.com/au/business-networking/omada-sdn-router/er605/#specifications

OpenVPN:    
• OpenVPN Server*
• 10 OpenVPN Clients*△
• 16 OpenVPN Tunnels*

*These functions requires the use of Omada Hardware Controller, Software Controller, or Cloud-Based Controller.

For OpenVPN: When set up as a VPN server, each WAN port can connect with up to 10 VPN clients. At the same time, the ER605 can work as a VPN client to connect with up to 10 VPN servers. The total number of OpenVPN tunnels is limited to 16.

-----------------------------------------------------------

ER7206:  
https://www.tp-link.com/au/business-networking/omada-sdn-router/tl-er7206/#specifications 

OpenVPN:
• OpenVPN Server*
• 10 OpenVPN Clients*
• 50 OpenVPN Tunnels*

*These functions requires the use of Omada Hardware Controller, Software Controller, or Cloud-Based Controller

Options
2022-11-04 18:52:27

@Fae HELLO? WHAT IS THE REVISED ETA? I HAVE BEEN ASKING FOR THIS FOR TWO YEARS?

Martin_Theobald wrote

Why is the field for Username and Password missing in the client options of OpenVPN Client?

How do i specify the settings to connect to a VPN Provider?

Martin_Theobald wrote

Why is the field for Username and Password missing in the client options of OpenVPN Client?

How do i specify the settings to connect to a VPN Provider?

Options
RE:OpenVPN Missing field for Username and Password in Client Options
2022-11-16 00:33:54
please implement this feature, there is obviously demand for it!
Options
2022-11-27 23:08:05

@Fae 

Well, since the new firmware update - I am able to input my credentials into the OpenVPN client and guess what ?

It still doesn't work .

I am trying to connect to my NordVPN server .

Other generic OpenVPN clients works with no problem .

What do we have to do to get this to work ?

Fae wrote

Hi All,

Thank you for your valued and continuous feedback!

It's confirmed that OpenVPN supporting Username and Password authentication is planned to be added in the firmware adapted to Omada Controller v5.6, which can be expected to release in the end of September. So stay tuned!

Note: the release time mentioned here is for your reference only, it's subject to the actual firmware condition.

Options
2022-11-28 01:22:51 - last edited 2022-11-28 01:23:41

Dear @kablammy,

kablammy wrote

@Fae 

Well, since the new firmware update - I am able to input my credentials into the OpenVPN client and guess what ?

It still doesn't work .

I am trying to connect to my NordVPN server .

Other generic OpenVPN clients works with no problem .

What do we have to do to get this to work ?

The OpenVPN feature requires to upgrade both the Omada Controller and the Router.

If you're using the ER7206, please ensure that your ER7206 router has been upgraded to the firmware adapted to Omada Controller v5.6.

For other Router models, I've been informed that the firmware adapted to the controller v5.6 will be released one by one in the subsequent Controller releases.

This post will be actively updated to notify the latest firmware release for Omada Routers, welcome to subscribe!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-11-28 08:27:43

@kablammy what router model and software version are you running? 

I have omada version 5.6.4 and my ER605 v1. 0 with firmware version "v1.2.1 Build 20220512 Rel 76748" and there is still no option to enter OpenVPN credentials. 

Options
2022-12-01 14:31:17

@Martin_Theobald I have two site using OC100 V1.0 and noticed this feature has been added recently to the site with ER7206, but still missing in the OC100 V1.0 / ER605 site. Both sites have same FW on the OC200. Seems this is limitation on the ER605 FW.

I am using successfully on the ER7206, with usernames.

Both ER7206 and ER605 have latest FW updates.

Options
2022-12-04 18:47:20 - last edited 2022-12-04 18:47:48

So with a few hours on a cold Sunday afternoon, I was able to configure my Omada system to work exactly as I needed - and it works perfectly...

A writeup is here - https://paulhiggs.github.io/tp-link-vpn/

Thanks TP-Link

Options
2022-12-16 16:10:46

Any ideas when ER605 V2 firmware will catchup with this implementation?  I am able to see the Certificate+Account for Client-to-Site VPN, but it doesn't work currently.  Contacted support and was told that there is no support for an encrypted VPN on the ER605.  Am I missing something, or am I simply needing to wait for a firmware update?

Options

Voters 14

+ 10 Voters