Votes

OpenVPN Missing field for Username and Password in Client Options

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

OpenVPN Missing field for Username and Password in Client Options

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
50 Reply
Re:OpenVPN Missing field for Username and Password in Client Options
2022-12-19 02:02:45

@Fae 

I got new controller update 5.7.6 today and I am using router ER605 version 1.21 .

The OpenVPN is not working .  So, I guess I am waiting on a router update ?

Fae wrote

Dear @kablammy,

kablammy wrote

@Fae 

Well, since the new firmware update - I am able to input my credentials into the OpenVPN client and guess what ?

It still doesn't work .

I am trying to connect to my NordVPN server .

Other generic OpenVPN clients works with no problem .

What do we have to do to get this to work ?

The OpenVPN feature requires to upgrade both the Omada Controller and the Router.

If you're using the ER7206, please ensure that your ER7206 router has been upgraded to the firmware adapted to Omada Controller v5.6.

For other Router models, I've been informed that the firmware adapted to the controller v5.6 will be released one by one in the subsequent Controller releases.

This post will be actively updated to notify the latest firmware release for Omada Routers, welcome to subscribe!

Options
RE:OpenVPN Missing field for Username and Password in Client Options
2023-01-29 00:54:42
I need this.
Options
2023-03-24 11:53:39
Come on people... Make this happen!
Options
2023-03-24 13:40:32

@S1ou Evidently it does now work but only if OpenVPN is configured as the only client to server vpn protocol within any one VLAN, and cannot be controlled (meaning used/not used for outgoing traffic) by Transmission->Routing->Policy Routing. I was given what seems like a lame reason that with the OpenVPN protocol as client to server, when the tunnel is established it is the server that determines the client routing rules and who the clients are, not the other way around. Therefore it (as client to server with us on the client end) cannot be mixed or used within the policy routing rules and cannot be used along with other client to server routing policies on the same vlan. Supposedly that is why it is not even allowed within the UI to add policy routing rules with openvpn as client. I have many client vpn related policy routing rules that I switch on or off as needed for outgoing traffic, and it does work well, but as soon as I even added one openvpn client to server vpn, not even with any routing rules (as the UI disallows that anyway), it broke all the routing rules I did have (they did not work) and caused all manner of problems.  I was going to try to set up a separate VLAN to see if it would work when I have the time, but that would only be useful for me for my outgoing client to server vpn routing for various devices in my network if I could then switch devices on my network easily from one vlan to the other. Ideally depending upon the type of traffic and who the client is, we should be able to route all of our traffic with whatever protocol we like in any direction. Supposedly they are working on it but what a nightmare. I do not know if this is a problem or the case with other router manufacturers?

Hope that helps

Options
2023-04-20 07:25:21

@Luds Thank you very much for this extensive yet very insightful answer!

Options
2023-04-23 17:25:19

@S1ou you are welcome!

S1ou wrote

@Luds Thank you very much for this extensive yet very insightful answer!

Options
Re:OpenVPN Missing field for Username and Password in Client Options-Solution
2023-04-25 03:15:40 - last edited 2023-04-25 03:15:43

Hello @Martin_Theobald and other community members,

Martin_Theobald wrote

Why is the field for Username and Password missing in the client options of OpenVPN Client?

How do i specify the settings to connect to a VPN Provider?

I'd like to update this feature request here.

For ER605 V1, the field for Username and Password in the Client options of OpenVPN Client has been added in the following firmware.

ER605 V1_1.2.3_Build 20230413 Beta Firmware For Trial (Released on Apr 14th, 2023)

Notes:

1) If your ER605 v1 is managed by Omada Controller, please ensure that your Controller is updated to v5.6 or later version.

2) For other Omada Routers, please ensure that you've updated to the firmware adapted to Omada Controller v5.6 or above.

Related FAQs:

How to Configure TP-Link Omada Gateway as OpenVPN Server on Controller Mode

How to Configure TP-Link Omada Gateway as OpenVPN Server on Standalone Mode

How to Configure TP-Link Omada Gateway as OpenVPN Client

Any further issues or questions, please feel free to Start a New Thread from Here.

To get better assistance from Community, you may check Tips For Efficiently Reporting an Issue In The Community.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-05-29 16:08:32

@Fae What about ER7212PC? Is there a plan to update it as well?

Options
2023-06-08 11:17:38

@Fae Any further details on when this will be available for the ER7212PC.

I already reported here: ER7212PC Controller - Certificate + Account mode for OpenVPN  

Another device marketed to support OpenVPN but missing the credentials fields!

Options
2023-06-08 14:27:06

@Martin_Theobald 

After a lot of trial and effort, including some remote diagnosis session with TP Link enginners, it was found that even though username/password is supported (on my ER7206) and it was working for some time (see my previous posts and writeup - https://paulhiggs.github.io/tp-link-vpn/) My OpenVPN service provider (Golden Frog - VypeVPN) has updated their platform and the 'old' version of SSL in the ER7206 firmware is not compatible.

Latest statement was along the lines of "Product Team is looking into it - but it could take a long time).

For now, I attached a GL.iNet Brume 2 (MT2500) and use that to forward one of my VLANs to the VPN

Options

Voters 14

+ 10 Voters