When PPPoE connection resets, router needs power cycle

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-05 07:04:56
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 20201117 rel.41066(5553)

Hi,

I bought the TP-Link AC1200 Archer A6 on 16th of December 2020.

I am using a PPPoE connection, and sometimes it goes down (30 sec-1 min max). Now, the expected is that as soon as the connection is back, the router will connect again. But I always need to fully reboot the router to make it work again.

I suspected my firmware was out of date, so I logged into the router interface and updated the firware using the online upgrade option, and it was indeed outdated (it was on 1.0.2 or something before). But alas the same thing happened again.

I can see in my ISP's data tracking interface that the internet went down at 12:03PM, and it only came back once I rebooted it at 12:11PM. I confirmed with my friend who uses the same ISP that the internet did go down at the same time for him, but it came back for him just around 30 seconds later. 

I found a review on Amazon where i bought it from which describes the similar issue. The problem is I cannot find the "NAT Boosting" option anywhere in my router. I will attach a screenshot of the review. I am not sure if it is the same issue i am having because my speed does not go down, it seems to stop working completely.

Options
7 Reply
Re:When PPPoE connection resets, router needs power cycle
2021-01-05 07:23:29

@S4G4R 

Can you find Hardware NAT on System Tool-System Parameters page?

Just to confirm, who is your ISP? Please ensure the modem network is stable, then check if the internet LED will become orange when the internet drops on the A6.

Options
2021-01-05 07:35:05

@Kevin_Z 

I can see the "NAT" checkbox there.

My ISP is Railwire (India).

I do not have a modem, only the router. It is a fiber connection, but the wire that I get to my house is a CAT6 cable I believe (RJ-45), previously we had a wireless connection via dish, but it got upgraded and I chose to not upgrade my wire. I do not believe the ISP or wire has anything to do with it because as I said it starts working fine as soon as I reboot the router.

The internet LED does become orange when the internet drops.

Options
2021-01-05 11:43:46

@S4G4R 

I see. We just need to be assured that the internet connection from the fiber is stable, then we can locate the issue on the A6 router.

BTW, we would like to follow up on your case via email. Please check your inbox and provide the information that we need.

Options
2021-01-05 11:53:21

@Kevin_Z 

To be clear, the internet connection does go down (and that is the ISP's problem). The problem occurs when the internet is restored. My friend's router gets internet access immediately whereas I need to reboot my router to restore the router's connection to the internet. I previously had another router (and the same connection), and did not face this issue.

Thank you for the support, I will follow up with the email. Just have to wait till my connection drops again. 

Options
2021-01-06 01:25:32

@S4G4R 

Yes, I got it. Our engineer will help follow it up, please check your email box, thanks a lot.

Options
2021-05-20 06:33:19

@Kevin_Z 

Model: Archer C6 (US)

Hardware Version: V3.20

Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 20201117 rel.41066(5553)

ISP: BSNL FTTH (India)

Hi Kevin,

I have an Archer C6 V3.20 having the same problem. 

Every day around 12 am my internet gets disconnected due to some issue with the ISP just for 1 or 2 minutes. At that time, I noticed that the light in my modem (Huawei GPON) and my router (Archer C6) turn red and I can't access the internet on any of my devices. After these 2 minutes, the modem automatically reconnects to the internet and the light turns green. But my router shows red light and won't reconnect unless I reboot or switch off and turn on the router each and every time.

I also checked by connecting to the modem directly when my router doesn't reconnect and I am able to access the internet from the modem. But when I access through the router it shows no internet. So, even when the internet is back, the router is not able to reconnect to the internet.

Please advise how can I resolve this issue as it is occurring frequently.

Also, please let me know if you require any other additional information. Thanks! 

Options
2021-05-20 08:05:27

@John332 

What if you login to the web interface of the A6, go to WAN page and hit disconnect, then connect, will it connect back? BTW, what is the WAN connection type on the A6, is there a WAN IP address when the internet is not working?

Please show us the DHCP lease time setting on the router, try to change it to 90 mins, check again if the issue persists.

Options