No internet access when connected to OpenVPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

No internet access when connected to OpenVPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
70 Reply
Re:No internet access when connected to OpenVPN
2021-01-19 12:01:29 - last edited 2021-04-18 09:19:17

Hi All,

I've reported the case to the senior engineers for some tests. But they failed to reproduce the problem discussed in this topic.

There might be something we overlooked, may I have a backup file of your configuration for further checking?

Besides, are you all using iOS devices when connecting to OpenVPN?

Edit: you could reply to the post and upload the config file directly, but if the config file is too large to upload here, please email to <support.forum@tp-link.com> and let me know the Ticket ID. Thank you!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-01-19 13:06:04 - last edited 2021-04-18 09:19:17

@Fae I'm using Android and the OpenVPN app. I'll try playing around with my config in the coming days. I'm sure it's an issue on my end.

Options
2021-01-19 14:22:17 - last edited 2021-04-18 09:19:17

@Fae I have the issue on Android and Windows, hoping to test further tomorrow. I think I am able to access LAN but not WAN when connected via VPN. Also on the latest firmware and version of Omada SDN.

Options
2021-01-19 21:31:52 - last edited 2021-04-18 09:19:17

@joeri1 I'm having the same issue over here.

When connected to OpenVPN, I am not able to connect to the internet.

I tried resetting the router, provisioned the router again.

I even reinstalled the omada software controller that I am running as a virtual.

But all of this didn't solve the issue.

Also when I throw away the OpenVPN profile I am still able to connect to the VPN connection.

I colleague of mine who's running the same setup as me at home suggested switching to the DHCP from the router on the default VLAN.

However this didn't to the trick either.

Options
2021-01-26 02:22:01 - last edited 2021-04-18 09:19:17

Hi All

@BartvdbB @infinitytec @shberge @geaston @jamesg013 @joeri1,

I would like to follow up on this case, was your concern resolved finally?

If you still have trouble, please feel free to reply here. Your kind feedback is much appreciated!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-01-26 03:28:42 - last edited 2021-04-18 09:19:17

@Fae 

Fae wrote

Hi All

@BartvdbB @infinitytec @shberge @geaston @jamesg013 @joeri1,

I would like to follow up on this case, was your concern resolved finally?

If you still have trouble, please feel free to reply here. Your kind feedback is much appreciated!

Upon checking if issue still persists, i have now discovered that my phone can no longer to the Router's VPN. Using Client to Site OpenVPN server on the TL-R605 with the latest iOS version with the OpenVPN Connect app, connection times out when trying to connect. Might be something wrong with my configuration, i will have to troubleshoot some more when i have more time.

Options
2021-01-26 03:29:08 - last edited 2021-04-18 09:19:17

@Fae 

It's been a busy week or so so I haven't gotten around to trying yet.

Options
2021-01-26 07:56:27 - last edited 2021-04-18 09:19:17

@joeri1 

Hi All, I have and Archer MR200 and have a similar problem. Im running OpenVPN on this router with this configuration : 

client
dev tun
proto udp
float
nobind
cipher AES-128-CBC
comp-lzo adaptive
resolv-retry infinite
persist-key
persist-tun
verb 3
remote 5.*.*.* 1194 

When I connect to this VPN from home my loading speed of web pages dramatically slow down and Im unable to access my local resources ( LAN Printer, my Home router, ... ) 

IP Addresses : 

OLD Home IP Address : 192.168.1.0/24

New Home IP Address : 192.168.0.0/24

VPN IP Address : 192.168.1.0/24

VPN Address that are given to me : 10.8.0.0/30

There is an Old and new home IP because I thought that if I have the same IP pool for both network, that this will be the problem, but after I changed the IP to the new one the problem still persist. I can connect to our RDP servers, and access all remote computers, but Im unable to access local resources. 

Can someone help me ? I'm browsing the internet for like 15 hours and didn't find anything to help me.

Thank you so much

Edit : So I figured out that when you set up OpenVPN on TP-LINK router you need to click option Client Access : Home Network only, and after that my internet connection started to work, but I still dont have access to local resources like LAN printers, NAS etc. 

Options
2021-01-26 10:18:44 - last edited 2021-04-18 09:19:17

@Fae 

Hey Fae

So to update when I initially configured the VPN at end of Dec it worked first time without issue, sadly following its first reboot since (30 days later) I am now experiencing the issue as reported by others.    I was just lucky up until now  cheeky

As reported the VPN establishes without issue and connection is solid.  

The IP address allocated to me is from the range configured and local traffic

Local Resources on the LAN (Printers, servers etc) are all accessible

However no WAN traffic as reported by others

Apps tried

OPEN VPN app on Windows 10 and Android 9 (both latest version available)

client
dev tun
proto udp
float
nobind
cipher AES-128-CBC
comp-lzo adaptive
resolv-retry infinite
remote-cert-tls server
persist-key
persist-tun
remote 71.x.x.x 1194
<ca>
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----

Options
2021-01-26 10:38:44 - last edited 2021-04-18 09:19:17

Hi @Fae the issue still exists, I have opened a ticket at support.nl@tp-link.com which was closed Monday.

I received an email from Eric Mulder stating this would be solved in the new and upcoming release of Omada 4.3.

And if I had the time to have a look at my configuration.

I'm currently running the following setup.

1x Omada Software Controller on a virtual Ubuntu server in VMware

1x TL-R605

1x EAP245

1x EAP225 outdoor

I tried connecting with OpenVPN from Windows, MacOS and iOS.

All devices were not able to access the internet after setting up the connection.

Options
Related Articles