Archer C80 is planning new firmware that the device supports Mesh Wi-Fi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-31 12:03:26 - last edited 2021-01-31 12:08:48
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 Build 201022 Rel.53112n(4555)

Dear Kevin_Z,

I own three pieces of Archer C80 in the house, where one is on the ground floor and works in Router Mode and the other two upstairs and work in Access Point Mode.

They are connected with LAN cables CAT6 and sometimes it happens when I walk between the ground floor and the first floor (when I switch from one AP to another AP) that the connection is lost for a moment and returned after two seconds.

My question is do you plan to release new firmware for the Archer C80 in the future that will support Mesh Wi-Fi and would that solve the problem of switching from one AP to another AP?

Thanks and best regards!

TRUST NO ONE, THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!
Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer C80 is planning new firmware that the device supports Mesh Wi-Fi
2021-01-31 16:53:48

@zexoni70 

With your current HW it wouldn't solve that problem. Check these FAQs regarding OneMesh feature, in particular from Q7 to Q10.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-01-31 19:00:27 - last edited 2021-01-31 19:28:41

@Ivaylo 

Previously, when I used three pieces of TL-WA901ND that also worked in AP mode, it never occurred to me that when I switch (walk) from one AP to another AP the connection is cut short!

Do you know why this is happening to me now with the Archer C80 which also works in AP mode?

Isn't the AP mode the same on the Archer C80 as on the TL-WA901ND

Options
2021-01-31 20:56:52

@zexoni70 

Not sure, but at least they are different devices with different FW. Moreover TL-WA901ND is a dedicated AP, while the wireless router in AP mode is a wireless router with reduced features.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-02-01 05:35:27

@zexoni70 

Thank you for posting on the TP-Link Community.

May we confirm what kind of service does this 2 seconds disconnect affects? Real-time video call or streaming? Just want to know why did you replace the old WA901ND to the Archer C80? As Ivaylo mentioned, the Archer C80 is mainly built as a wireless router, we may not be able to give you the answer why it is not working as the old WA901ND access point, as they are different product categories and mainly suit for different scenarios.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-02-01 08:27:26 - last edited 2021-02-01 08:28:44

Dear Kevin_Z

The TL-WA901ND are really great devices and the only reason I changed them is because they don't have a gigabit LAN port and Wi-Fi 5G.

I used them for a total of four years in Access Point mode and during all that time I didn't have any problems with them because they are really reliable devices.

Thinking that the Archer C80 Access Point mode is the same as on all devices, I bought it for that reason.

As for breaking the connection for a short time, it only happens when I walk between the ground floor and the first floor and when the mobile phone switches from one AP to another.

And that happens when there is a video call or audio call on Viber or WhatsApp, the connection is not completely disconnected, but the on video call image freezes for a few seconds and comes back probably when the mobile phone switches to an AP that is closer to it ...

But like I said with the TL-WA901ND I didn't have these problems and the connection went smoothly and without any interruption.

Best regards!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 879

Replies: 5

Related Articles