Deco X60 + pi-hole = DNS error guest_wlan

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-03 07:21:12 - last edited 2022-03-29 12:45:20
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 build 20201013 Rel. 64247

Hi everyone,

I'm having a weird issue with my Deco X60 and a pi-hole server. If i declare the pi-hole in the DHCP server, all clients registered to main wlan are working ok. However, some of the clients registered in the guest_wlan (i'm using it for IoT devices) lose the internet connection - more specifically DNS access, the error with name not resolved. Is there a workaround/sollution for this? I'd like to keep using that pi-hole.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco X60 + pi-hole = DNS error guest_wlan-Solution
2021-02-04 12:39:55 - last edited 2022-03-29 12:45:20

@AllexRo 

Hi, thank you very much for your kind reply.

It is very likely that the DNS server - pi-hole server has been considered as one of the hosts of the main network which has been separated from the guest network.

If possible, could you please disable the guest network isolation with the main network to have a test?

Thanks a lot and wait for your reply.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco X60 + pi-hole = DNS error guest_wlan-Solution
2021-02-04 12:39:55 - last edited 2022-03-29 12:45:20

@AllexRo 

Hi, thank you very much for your kind reply.

It is very likely that the DNS server - pi-hole server has been considered as one of the hosts of the main network which has been separated from the guest network.

If possible, could you please disable the guest network isolation with the main network to have a test?

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco X60 + pi-hole = DNS error guest_wlan
2021-02-04 13:45:04 - last edited 2021-02-04 14:00:46

@TP-Link 

Hey guys! PiHole is on a Raspberry Pi Zero Wireless, connected via wifi to main_wlan.

PiHole is only doing the DNS filtering, no other tasks - it's not serving as a DHCP server etc

I'm doing all the tests via a phone: with the PiHole in place and declared as Primary DNS Optional, if the phone is connected to main_wlan, everything works. If the phone is connected to guest_wlan, doesn't connect to any page anymore. If I remove the PiHole from Primary DNS, same phone connected to guest_wlan has no internet issues.

Options
2021-02-05 10:59:19 - last edited 2022-03-29 12:45:18

@AllexRo 

Thank you very much for your updated information.

Have you tried to change the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 to have a look;

(more>advanced>DHCP>primary DNS and secondary DNS)

As for the customized PiHole DNS, please go to more>advanced>IPV4>dynamic IP> turn off obtain DNS automatically and use the IP address of PiHole DNS;

At the same time, we have reported this case to the senior engineers for further solutions.

Options
2021-02-07 06:55:44 - last edited 2021-02-07 20:11:01

@TP-Link 

Have you tried to change the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 to have a look;

(more>advanced>DHCP>primary DNS and secondary DNS)

Yes, phone connected on guest_wlan has no internet issues.

As for the customized PiHole DNS, please go to more>advanced>IPV4>dynamic IP> turn off obtain DNS automatically and use the IP address of PiHole DNS;

This is working! Thanks for sharing this solution!

Update: partially working

Unfortunately, something goes wrong (and it happened already twice): following a restart, both units go solid red. All clients are assigned IPs from class 192.168.0.xx although  I'm doing all my settings with 192.168.88.xx <- not sure where that 192.168.0.xx could come from.. Internet is not functional until I change, in the IPV4/dynamic, from PiHole to automatically obtain DNS. After this modification, everything is ok. 

Options
2021-02-08 01:02:06

@AllexRo 

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

In this way, we might need to request a new firmware from the senior engineers for this issue.

And it might take some time, once there is any further improvement, I could update it here at once.

Thank you very much for your understanding and support.

Options