Do I need to reset all my EAPs when I replace a failed OC200?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-18 14:03:09
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.7.4

After what seemed like a successful upgrade to the current OC200 firmware, the OC200 failed reboot and remained off line.  With help from TP-Link support, we attempted to connect to the OC200.  These efforts were unsuccessful, so TP-Link support said I must reset the OC200, set it up, then reset and adopt all eight of the EAPs.  The OC200 would not reset so it was bricked.  

I have a replacement OC200 and need to install it now.  

My question is:  Is there a way to avoid resetting and adopting these 8 EAPs (245's and 225's) after I setup the new OC200?

Thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:Do I need to reset all my EAPs when I replace a failed OC200?
2021-03-18 14:29:20

@Bobby1859 Since they were adopted by the dead controller, I suspect that a n AP reset is the only choice. It's really not a big deal though... reset one and get it working the way that you want it too... then adopt the rest and they will pretty much automatically all get configured.

Options
2021-03-20 22:02:46

@rickk1000 I discovered an alternative to resetting the EAPs.

After I installed the replacement OC200, within Omada controller, the EAPs were shown, and the status of each was Managed By Others.  This was not surprising. But, the blue Adopt button was available.  I clicked that and it asked for a user Id and password.  I tried using the local access UID and password for the old, failed OC200. It worked.  So I was able to re-adopt my EAPs without climbing ladders all over the building to reset them.  

Options
2021-03-21 00:30:59

@Bobby1859

Had a similar experience and was able to find the EAPs IP addresses from the router.  Then tried to log into the EAP from a browser and got a message that the device was being managed by another device, but it also gave an option to reset the EAP.  After selecting the reset button it was available to adopt in to the new controller.  Uploaded the controller backup and all settings were restored. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1536

Replies: 3