CPE710 Keeps Dropping Communication

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-20 17:25:27
Model: CPE710  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.2.1 Build 20201208 Rel. 34943 (4341)

All, we bought a CPE710 dish to connect our house router to two outbuildings where we have computers and other internet dependent gear (astronomy equipment).

We bought a single dish and connected it to our router via the PoE and aimed it at a Netgear AC1200 range extender about 100m away, inside one of the sheds.

The connection lasts for maybe an hour then drops. I can reboot the dish by unplugging the Ethernet cable leading from the PoE to the dish or power cycling the PoE. 

Our initial thought was that the dish was defective so we bought a replacement and it works no better. 

Do we need TWO dishes talking to each other for this to work? Is that the problem, that the CPE710 won't talk to a 3rd party range extender? And if not, why does it work at all for a few hours at a time?

Help please!

Stuart

Options
4 Reply
Re:CPE710 Keeps Dropping Communication
2021-10-21 03:48:48

@Heggie Hey,Fate made us meet again lol.

1. what is the status of the light on the CPE when the connection is dropped? Is the SSID still visible on other devices ? can you access the management interface of the CPE at this time ?
2. the CPE is using directional high power antenna, not suitable to provide hotspot to SOHO devices, so I think you can try to use two CPE to establish a PTP connection to see if you have the same problem.

Options
2021-10-21 04:03:38

@Yannie Great to have your help again! Thanks!

In approximate order:

• The light on the PoE remains green when it drops the communication
  • I cannot access the dish at all with any device when it drops
  • I can NOT access the dish web interface when it drops
  • I'm game to try using the second dish we bought to provide a link like you described. In discussion with the TP-Link support in Toronto, Nick, he thought what I was doing was fine but if I'm supposed to use two dishes, and now HAVE two dishes, I think trying what you suggest makes a lot of sense.

Raining off and on this week but I'll try and set up the second dish and report back. Thanks!

Stuart

Options
2021-10-21 07:18:00

@Heggie Will waiting for your reply. Take carelaugh

Options
2021-10-23 15:29:42

@Yannie Well, here we are 48 hours with no interruptions. I guess two dishes is the charm. I'll email my contact at TP-Link here in Canada and tell him they should discourage people trying to do this with one dish only. Anyway, I think it's fixed! Thanks @Yannie for your support though all of this!

Stuart

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 854

Replies: 4