OC200 Update appears to have bricked the controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-30 07:12:05
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I checked my OC200 controller today for an upgrade and saw it was available from the controller gui. I backed up the settings and had it do the upgrade. After the reboot it just seems to have died. Can't reach the IP anymore and it doesn't show up with the TP-Link discovery tool either. I did a factory reset and still same issue. I can't connect to it at all. I had to reinstall the controller software on my PC and factory reset everything to adopt them to into the the software controller. My network is back up but the OC200 has become a paper weight it seems.

Anyone else have this issue with the recent upgrade?

Options
20 Reply
Re:OC200 Update appears to have bricked the controller
2021-10-30 12:18:02

@Jackace 

Mine done the same on the update to 4.4.6

After a few runs at the reset process below I was able to get it working again.  Needless to say sticking with 4.4.4 until v5 is released :)

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/270472

Options
2021-10-30 14:18:31

@Philbert 

Thanks for the link. I was able to get it back working. Man what a pain though. Looks like I will have to do some more due diligance on upgrades moving forward.

Options
2021-10-30 23:39:24
Hi Thanks for the link my did the same thing as well on 4.4.6 had to downgrade to 4.4.4.
Options
2021-11-01 16:16:18 - last edited 2021-11-01 16:48:41

@Jackace Same here, used andriod App to check for upgrade, upgraded to 4.4.6, controller never came back from upgrade, UI not accessible, recovery mode shows it at 4.4.6 but doesnt appear to start the controller on reboot,  Recovery mode and downgraded to 4.4.4 and restored a backup to get operational again

Options
2021-11-02 00:34:09

@Jackace 

Happened to me, too.  I was actually reading the original post just as I was letting the upgrade process.

Thanks @Philbert for the recovery link.

Luckily upon restoring to 4.4.4 all my settings remained and so my recovery was (fairly) painless.

And, at least my network stayed up while the controller was off-line...  I believe that was a fix introduced in 4.4.4.

Options
2021-11-02 12:49:58

Had the exact same issue. Recovery mode and tried to reinstall previous firmware did not succeed. I then reinstalled the new one and it worked. Had to factory reset but was able to restore all my settings with the backups so all good now.

However I wish the good people at TP-Link would do some quality testing because I feel the paying customers are being used as test dummies...

NOT OK TP-Link team. NOT. OK.

Options
2021-11-08 18:00:16

FWIW, I just re-ran the hardware controller update and it worked.  The family is out of the house and I could afford the time to troubleshoot and possibly have the internet go down if it failed again.

I executed it, and then walked away.  The controller was back on-line sometime within 15 minutes.

Options
2021-11-12 06:12:37

Hi All,

Sorry for my delayed response. But I did not experience this in the firmware upgrade tests of OC200.

To figure out the issue, I'd like to escalate you to the TP-Link support team for further investigation.

They will reach you via your registered email address shortly, please pay attention to your email box later.

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, I'd encourage you to share it with the community.

Thank you so much for your cooperation and support!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-01-22 15:38:33

@Jackace 

Well the OC200 upgrade failed again.
I logged in to the OC200 directly via the IP and then to Settings, Maintenance and choose Check for upgrade. I got that a new version 5.0.30 is available and choose upgrade.
A new window came up with downloading and after that rebooting, several minutes later the OC200 become OFFLINE and never recover.
I had to use this procedure to recover the OC200

My OC200 is still on firmware version 4.4.4
This the 2nd time the OC200 failing to upgrade.

Options
2022-01-24 06:36:53

Dear @Moyshka,

Moyshka wrote

Well the OC200 upgrade failed again.
I logged in to the OC200 directly via the IP and then to Settings, Maintenance and choose Check for upgrade. I got that a new version 5.0.30 is available and choose upgrade.
A new window came up with downloading and after that rebooting, several minutes later the OC200 become OFFLINE and never recover.

When you find the OC200 become OFFLINE, did you wait for a while to ensure the upgrade process is completed and double check whether the OC200 is back online?

Kind note that the progress bar doesn't reflect the actual upgrade process, it's just a reference. It may take a bit longer time than before to upgrade the firmware, please give the process ample time to ensure completion before you do further operation on the controller.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 3246

Replies: 20