Deco in Routed mode bridging ports

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-25 15:49:07
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 Build 20210121

Hello 

I have a Deco X60 network in my house working in routed mode using the default network of 192.168.68.0/24

The main deco connects to the BT Smart Hub on network 192.168.10.0/24

I have a need to have some devices connecting to the 192.168.10.0/24 network so I have enabled Bridge on the IPTV/VLAN settings and configured 2 ports of the remote decos and the other available port of the main Deco. I have connected this port of the main deco into the same BT Smart Hub on network 192.168.10.0/24

This has been working fine for some time.

Yesterday something happened and my network stopped working. If I disconnect the bridge port of the main Deco from the BT Smart Hub, then everything works back again (well, everything with the exception of the 2 remote bridge ports, obviously because there bridge port on the main deco is disconnected)

Can someone please advise what is the problem ? Initially I was a little sceptical in connecting the other port of the main Deco to the same HUB as the internet port but because the Deco is in routed mode this should be ok - And it has been OK for months ... but now it just doesn't work

Can someone please advise ?

Thank you

Nuno

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco in Routed mode bridging ports
2021-11-26 00:36:25 - last edited 2021-11-26 00:37:09

I believe I have found the problem:

It seems that when a Bridge is created, the Internet Port of the main Deco is added automatically to the bridge. In my case, because I was also connecting the second port of the main deco to the same HUB where the Internet port is connected, it causes a broadcast storm (loop) and things don't work

Can someone please advise if this is the expected behaviour or is it a bug ? I don't really think this should be the correct behaviour. The correct behaviour should be that ONLY the ports added to the bridge should be part of it

@Support ? Anyone ? Please advise ?

Thanks

Nuno

Options
2021-11-26 02:12:26 - last edited 2021-11-26 02:15:16

@Rider 

Hi, Thank you very much for your kind reply.

What are these devices that need to be connected to these bridge ports from Deco, Set-up Boxes for IPTV service?

Is there a separate IPTV port(not the same as the internet-output port) on the BT hub?—case one

I seemed to see that you mentioned both the internet port and bridge IPTV port on Deco are connected to the BT hub, normally, Deco only allowed one Ethernet connection from Deco.

And this Ethernet connection will carry both internet and IPTV data.-- --case two

Please feel free to let me know if there is any misunderstanding.

Options
2021-11-26 14:24:38 - last edited 2021-11-29 12:41:15

@TP-Link @Support 

Thank you for your reply. 

My use case is #2

I have all my clients behind the Deco MESH and the main Deco has a cable connection to the Router (to the 192.168.10.0/24 network - as explained above)

What I want is for 2 remote clients to connect to 2 ports of the remote Decos and be Bridged to the Deco port that connects to the 192.168.10.0/24 network so that these 2 clients are in the 192.168.10.0/24 network instead of being in the Deco Routed network

As explained, I had this configured for sometime where I was adding the second port of the main deco to the bridge, together with 2 other remote ports on other decos. and then connect the second port of the deco to the switch (so that all these 3 bridged ports would be in the 192.168.10.0 network). This worked for sometime but a couple of days ago stopped working and I started getting broadcast storm

What I realized is that it appears that the remote bridged ports are ALSO bridged to the main deco port that connects to the router / switch and as such adding the second port to the same router/switch causes an issue

I just want to understand if this is the expected behaviour - It doesn't make sense to to have the main deco port ALWAYS part of the bridge - This is not documented anywhere and the behavior doesn't make sense (to be honest in my case it's ok and I can work with this but the majority I would expect that only the ports I make part of the bridge, by configuring them in that bridge, become part of the bridge and not automatically add other ports just like that)

Can you please advise ?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 654

Replies: 3

Related Articles