DNS WAN change to PiHole - Reseting router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-30 23:22:25
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2 Build 20210901 rel.75681(4555)

I'm having a bizarre behavior when I change the DNS on the WAN to my PiHole, It just reboots itself and changes the network address. 
What is going on? Am I missing something here? Is there anyway to disable this "smart" feature?

Options
5 Reply
Re:DNS WAN change to PiHole - Reseting router
2021-12-31 02:41:58

@Nano.Bautista 

The router won't allow you to set WAN interface DNS with IP address from the router's LAN subnet.

You should set the Pi-hole IP address in the DHCP server settings (e.g Primary DNS Server):

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-12-31 07:14:15

@terziyski that's exactly what I did, the problem with that solution is that when I connect the VPN through the router I got a DNS Leak as it uses the DNS of the DHCP.

i was able to change the DNS of the WAN on previous routers, it feels that is just bad design or maybe the problem that I'm having with the VPN is a bug, as one would imagine that all requests should be using the VPN DNS and not the DHCP.

Any advice on that?

Options
2021-12-31 08:53:05

@Nano.Bautista 

Nano.Bautista wrote

i was able to change the DNS of the WAN on previous routers, it feels that is just bad design or maybe the problem that I'm having with the VPN is a bug,

I don't know if when using the routers VPN client, DHCP DNS is used instead of VPN DNS, is a bug or not.

But for sure the inability to use LAN IP address for DNS on the WAN interface has been restricted by device's FW.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-12-31 09:29:05
Do you know if there’s any way to get support involved?
Options
2022-01-13 12:27:51

Nano.Bautista wrote

Do you know if there’s any way to get support involved?

@Nano.Bautista 

To assist you more efficiently, I've forwarded your case to the TP-Link support engineers who will contact you with your registered email address later.

Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 471

Replies: 5

Related Articles