Guide to Installing Omada Software Controller on Raspberry Pi OS - V5

Guide to Installing Omada Software Controller on Raspberry Pi OS - V5

116 Reply
Re:Guide to Installing Omada Software Controller on Raspberry Pi OS - V5
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@MJan 
The OC200's hardware is vastly inferior to a new RPi 5, including only having 1GB of ram which is quite insufficient for the newest controller versions. Just boot time alone tells a story with the OC200 taking over 7 minutes while an RPi 5 boots to a usable web GUI in just over 1 minute. Navigating page to page is also very slow due to the very low spec processor and insufficient RAM.

The RPi 3b+ has 4x A53 at 1.4 GHz, which makes even it faster than the OC200.

The OC200 also runs in an extremely low power state if powered by USB instead of PoE resulting in even slower responsiveness to use the web GUI.

But if it works for you, it works.

Options
2 weeks ago

@MrAdministrator 

Wow, that's a quick reply. That's sad, I was really hoping for a proper solution and a better user interface. I'll see how it functions and otherwise I'll just send it back and get a refund. 

Options

@MJan 
I went through the entire circle - I first bought an OC200 before knowing just how slow and ragged it is run in simple operation. I returned it for an OC300 due to better spec, but it was still a bit of a dog in the web interface. After I was able to see the exact specs it made sense why.

I did kind of go all out with an NVME hat and an Optane M.2 drive, but the price still was reasonably between OC200 and OC300 in the end for just how much more powerful and responsive it ended up (for me, anyway).

The following tests were done on 5.13.xx

Pi 5 + P1600X 58GB (4x A76 @ 2.4 GHz, 8GB LPDDR4X-4267) - $165 
Boot To Login: 1:20 
Login To Global View: 1:30 
Navigate To Site View: 1:38 

Pi 5 + MicroSD (4x A76 @ 2.4 GHz, 8GB LPDDR4X-4267)
Boot To Login: 1:54 
Login To Global View: 2:07
Navigate To Site View: 2:12

Pi 4 + MicroSD (4x A72 @ 1.8 GHz, 2GB LPDDR4-3200) 
Boot To Login: 3:15 
Login To Global View: 3:40 
Navigate To Site View: 3:50

OC300 (4x A72 @ 1.2GHz, 2GB DDR4) - $200 
Boot To login: 4:40 
Login To Global View: 5:05 
Navigate To Site View: 5:20 

OC200 (2x A53 @ 1.2 GHz, 1GB DDR3) - $110 
Boot To login: 6:30 
Login To Global View: 7:48 
Navigate To Site View: 8:15

Edit: Tested a Pi 5 with a MicroSD card to see how much the Optane/NVME drive helped. More than I expected.
Options

@MrAdministrator  and @MJan 

Good discussion as I wondered in the past how well the OC200/300 controller would do.

Simple observation from my end as I run two sites - one on a 4GB RPi4 and one on a 4GB RPi5. Even though both run on 4GB Pis the responsiveness of the RPi5 is way better than the RPi4.  Just on startup, the RPi4 takes 3 minutes from boot to login compared with the 1:20 for the RPi5 measured by @MrAdministrator.

Its all very usable but the SDN controller is a beast and needs processing horsepower and memory - just a fact 

Options
2 weeks ago

@Hank21  Hank, it looks like recent controller builds have exceeded the specs of the hardware controllers per recent posts in this thread.  I think you need to fork the controllers to basic and full builds, where basic is missing things like DPI and other resource intensive features that have been added recently, but is enough to run a few sites efficiently.  Or take the OpenWRT approach and allow people to build their controllers with the modules they actually need/want/use.

Anyone requiring the full suite of functionality will run the software controller in a VM, or a Pi5 or other suitable compute platform.  Everyone else, would likely appreciate a controller that can run comfortably in the 1G range...as they have for the last couple of years until quite recently.

Otherwise the OC200 is effectively obsolete already and there's no OC400 in the wings as yet.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2 weeks ago

d0ugmac1 wrote

@Hank21  Hank, it looks like recent controller builds have exceeded the specs of the hardware controllers per recent posts in this thread.  I think you need to fork the controllers to basic and full builds, where basic is missing things like DPI and other resource intensive features that have been added recently, but is enough to run a few sites efficiently.  Or take the OpenWRT approach and allow people to build their controllers with the modules they actually need/want/use.

Anyone requiring the full suite of functionality will run the software controller in a VM, or a Pi5 or other suitable compute platform.  Everyone else, would likely appreciate a controller that can run comfortably in the 1G range...as they have for the last couple of years until quite recently.

Otherwise the OC200 is effectively obsolete already and there's no OC400 in the wings as yet.

Hi @d0ugmac1 

Thanks for your kindly feedback. I will mark down your request and forward to the developer department. Please keep an eye on our official website and forum about the updates of the controller.

Please also note that we cannot guarantee the implementation of all requests due to technical limitations, resource constraints, and compatibility issues. 

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options