For what is the MAP function in Omada SDN?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-06 10:08:21

Hello,

I wonder what this point is for?

I know that from Unifi, there I can edit the map, position the APs and then get the wireless range displayed.
But here in the Omada SDN there is none of that?
So what can i do with this function now???

Options
5 Reply
Re:For what is the MAP function in Omada SDN?
2022-03-06 11:09:08 - last edited 2022-03-06 11:11:39

@lukass2000 Hello, so far for now, you can manage four functions, when you click on any of devices, there you see 4 options, one of them is device configuration. Another of 4 available is to locate device meaning that it's led device will signal, where one probably would require locate function just to ensure that device on a map is physically on same location. Third option is to lock/unlock device (you can not click on config option after locking). The last fourth option is to remove device from the map (it just removes device on map to devices on left side).

For home users, currently it is not really useful for anything considered that in a household you just have few devices, but if you have 50+ devices in lets say a factory where you neither see them nor you know what exact hostname/ip they are (lets say you are new admin), then map is quite useful for those few functions it offers,

That would be it I guess with what you can currently do with the map, new beta version includes heat map too. Probably more functions will be available if tp-link does not drop omada concept.

If you do not want to create a topology, just 2D/3D view, you could create map of your flat with any 2D/3D application, as example Sweet Home 3D which is available for multiple OS and is open source, however, there is a ton of 2D/3D applications for everybody's wish, just take one that fits to you.

Hope that helps.

Options
2022-03-06 12:46:32

@btx 

okay thanks :)
As an overview for the devices on larger areas is not bad,
Know a card overview from Unifi only differently, it's primarily about WiFi coverage, but everything is fine.

What do you mean by the statement

"Probably more functions will be available if tp-link does not drop omada concept."
Are there any indications that Omada will be discontinued?

I've only just started with the Omada SDN.
Not that I've decided on the wrong SDN now?

Options
2022-03-06 13:07:25

lukass2000 wrote

@btx 

What do you mean by the statement

"Probably more functions will be available if tp-link does not drop omada concept."
Are there any indications that Omada will be discontinued?

I've only just started with the Omada SDN.
Not that I've decided on the wrong SDN now?

I maybe expressed in way which could have double meaning. I tried to say to additional functions could be added and if they are usefull they probably will be added which requires company not to drop the product. For hardware one can orient on EOL notes, but for software it is a little bit harder, you simply can not know how many developers will be assigned as well as you do not have any control of the quality, tp-link already had confusing step with omada rebranding, thats all I meant. For me there is not much indications for drop, there are few things which raise my eyebrows, but nothing which would let me believe tp-link will put Omada to EOL.

Depending on what your requirements for SDN are, only you can know it, for home usage it is quite good as long as all basic functions work, there is a lot which should be added/fixed with omada, but we normal users do not see those plans and I found no roadmaps (even not on current issues/bugs). One would wish to be able to customize it a little bit, especially if controller software runs on a server which already has all requirements for some tasks like dns, dhcp as well as other service, but not with this sdn.

I am using it and have omada just for ability to stay up to date with customers hardware and for ability to reproduce issues, in my home I had to dump it and use my old setup because some basic functions were not working as they should. For just wireless and managing access points it is excellent for the price.

Options
2022-03-06 13:36:47 - last edited 2022-03-06 13:50:45

@btx 

I am using it and have omada just for ability to stay up to date with customers hardware and for ability to reproduce issues, in my home I had to dump it and use my old setup because some basic functions were not working as they should. For just wireless and managing access points it is excellent for the price.

Okay, all right,
I just thought there might be some information from TP-Link, that Omada may be hired...

What are you using instead of Omada SDN?
What problems did you encounter with Omada SDN?

Options
2022-03-06 16:23:19 - last edited 2022-03-06 16:23:52

lukass2000 wrote

What are you using instead of Omada SDN?
What problems did you encounter with Omada SDN?

Depending what one understands as SDN, for most home users, SDN is already their only router which is the only manageable device.

In flats smaller than 120m² normally one wireless device is enough, there is no real need in second access point unless one has really thick walls.

I use Omada on several places and connected wirelessly different houses, flats or simply to cover large areas (crowded and uncrowded) for several businesses where in the overall rating tp-link was much more cheaper than other solutions, but I consider myself also as new to omada, however, just as access points and mesh network where one needs outdoor devices there is not much alternative in price segment where tp-link settled their products.

In business networks one normally can't go around working with cisco sofware, there is also from dell and ibm as well as from other brands, actually there is plenty of SDN's available.

I encountered a lot issues with omada which I never had before in so many years, I did not experience issues with wireless devices (maybe due to my late entry to omada), but I experienced issues (still experiencing on those places if omada used) with omada managed router, as long as I use omada just for feature of mesh and only to manage access points, then it is perfect but everybody who wanted omada router suffered on issues. On one place few cameras were mounted without cable access and connect over wireless, pvr breaks because out of blue for no reason new ip address is assigned and as there is no local dns in omada router, one can not use local domains as well as pvr breaks recording as pvr has to use ip address. Such issues is why I can not recommend using it when one has some requirements, like here that dhcp reservation works, as for many home users, they dont care and in point of security it is even better if devices get another ip, nobody notices it anyway. That is why I said, depending on your requirements and what exactly SDN should be capable to do, only you can know if it fits your requirements. This particular issue was not resolved, and place where it happens had no recordings for few weeks with those cams and had to wait for somebody to arrive to check, resulting in running old dns/dhcp server by adding omada controler ip to dhcp, the downside on that solution was that wireless devices were shown sometimes as lan devices in omada, however, since disabling dhcp in omada and enabling it on old server resolved all issues. However, such basic function like dhcp reservation, all $ 10 devices and whole series of tp-link routers have no issues and then business product and SDN has such issue.

Beside issue above, there are some other like lack of dfs for routers used indoors in EU and some other smaller issues, none of them are really that important, but any lack in dhcp and not having local dns is something that I overlooked when I first time bought to try.

I guess it can only get better with stability, as for many constant fear of something not working after upgrade is a reason to manage devices with other software which in case of EAP devices would require flashing of as example openwrt which is not available for most eap devices and has issues with eap's wireless drivers => not worth trying with eap series.

By that, if you buy eap devices, best SDN which you can run it with is Omada, for other SDN's you need other hardware. If it is just about hardware/price/overall, mikrotik has quite nice hardware and software for quite affordable price. If price does not matter, go for cisco devices.

Options