ER7206: DDNS updates to No-IP don't appear to be happening at requested update interval

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

ER7206: DDNS updates to No-IP don't appear to be happening at requested update interval

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-10 00:55:23 - last edited 2022-03-10 01:11:52
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0

Hi,

I am using the standalone configuration interface.  I have a dual WAN configuration and for each WAN port, I have set up the router/gateway to perform DDNS registration with No-IP.  When I initially perform the setup, I see both (a) router logs reflecting successful registration with No-IP and (b) last update time in my No-IP account indicating the time the setup was committed.

Update interval is set to 1 hour.  After 1 hour (or 2, 3, 4, ... hours), I do not see any further updates in (a) router logs and (b) the No-IP account.   Granted the IP is not changing, but I would still expect to see an update being issued based on the configured update interval.

When I take down the WAN link (using "disconnect" in the router config page) and then re-establish the link, I see No-IP registration is successful in both (a) router logs and (b) the No-IP account page.

Given the behavior I am seeing, I am deeply concerned whether updates will happen when they are truly needed (i.e., when the WAN IPs change).  This is a critical function without which I will not be able to locate my network from the outside.

Please advise on why the update interval is not working as one would expect.  I am running the latest router firmware.

Thanks,

G

p.s. Independent of my observations, I found this thread https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/502964 that overlaps with what I'm seieng.  Furthermore, it seems to positively confirm that the DDNS updates do not occur when the WAN IP changes. This is really worrisome and seems like a critical bug.   @cberkely  -- did upgrading your firmware help provide DDNS updates when the WAN IP changes?

Options
7 Reply
Re:ER7206: DDNS updates to No-IP don't appear to be happening at requested update interval
2022-03-11 11:51:20

@GopS 

I did a similar test and found that Log is indeed not updated with relevant information, but the function is working properly, so maybe you can watch it for a while longer.

Wish the officials will see the problem and fix the log issue as soon as possible.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:ER7206: DDNS updates to No-IP don't appear to be happening at requested update interval
2022-03-11 16:19:26

Hi  @Virgo ,

> ... but the function is working properly, so maybe you can watch it for a while longer.

Do you have any evidence that this is the case?  I look at my No-IP dashboard and I don't see the update time moving forward.  It is displaying the time when I first entered in the config into the router.  It only changes when the login info is updated, not every hour as per the configured update interval.

I don't think this is strictly a logging problem.  The router does not seem to be working as intended.

Also look at:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/502964

The poster says that there is evidence (albeit with an older firmware) that DDNS updates are not happening when the WAN IP changes (presumably due to ISP reallocating IPs).

Can TP-Link support please advise?

G

Options
2022-03-15 06:07:56

Dear @GopS,

GopS wrote

The poster says that there is evidence (albeit with an older firmware) that DDNS updates are not happening when the WAN IP changes (presumably due to ISP reallocating IPs). Can TP-Link support please advise?

I tested with ER7206 1.2.0 firmware in the lab, the DDNS updates correctly when the WAN IP changes.

You may not worry about it. If there are any further issues with the TP-Link products, please feel free to submit a ticket to TP-Link Support. Or you can tag me and I'll help to escalate your case to the support team for further assistance.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-03-16 16:23:34

@Fae 

Thank you for confirming that the DDNS updates if the WAN IP changes.  I did not have an quick way of testing that as I am not able to force a WAN IP change.

However, I am still confused by something -- what is the meaning of the Update Interval in the DDNS configuration if there are not periodic updates that are performed to the DDNS service?  Ideally, and what I've seen from other DDNS setups, is that the router will periodically issue an DDNS even when the WAN IP does not change.

Currently, my udpate interval is set to 1 hour but I do not see any updates being issued to the No-IP service. :(

Thanks again,

G

Options
2022-03-17 01:36:45

Dear @GopS,

GopS wrote

However, I am still confused by something -- what is the meaning of the Update Interval in the DDNS configuration if there are not periodic updates that are performed to the DDNS service?  Ideally, and what I've seen from other DDNS setups, is that the router will periodically issue an DDNS even when the WAN IP does not change.

Currently, my udpate interval is set to 1 hour but I do not see any updates being issued to the No-IP service. :(

Do you use other router which will record the DDNS update in the log no matter if the WAN IP changes? If yes, may I know the brand or model number of the router?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-03-17 02:47:55 - last edited 2022-03-17 02:48:48

@Fae

Thank you for your response!

To answer your question, OpenWRT does have the feature to push DDNS updates even when the WAN IP is unchanged.  Please see the screenshot below.

A feature like this makes a ton of sense to me, as it's good to keep poking the DDNS service so that it doesn't timeout the host-to-IP mapping for whatever reason.

As it stands, the TP-Link interface provides an "Update Interval" option which seems like it should update the service at that rate.  Maybe this option acts similar to what OpenWRT calls the "Check Interval" instead?  Either the function or the interface could use some updating to resolve this confusion.

Thanks again,

G

Options
2022-03-17 07:15:25

Dear @GopS,

GopS wrote

To answer your question, OpenWRT does have the feature to push DDNS updates even when the WAN IP is unchanged.  Please see the screenshot below.

A feature like this makes a ton of sense to me, as it's good to keep poking the DDNS service so that it doesn't timeout the host-to-IP mapping for whatever reason.

As it stands, the TP-Link interface provides an "Update Interval" option which seems like it should update the service at that rate.  Maybe this option acts similar to what OpenWRT calls the "Check Interval" instead?  Either the function or the interface could use some updating to resolve this confusion.

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback! I've written this down for further evaluation. Cheers!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 790

Replies: 7