Votes

Add local DNS server to ER605

Votes

Add local DNS server to ER605

315 Reply
RE:Add local DNS server to ER605
2023-01-25 22:22:09
Just need a classic local dns server, nothing fancy. Even my cheap ISP router has this kind of features, so I'm really surprised and disappointed to not find it on my TL-ER605
Options
2023-01-29 05:37:24
A local DNS service resolving hostnames acquired with the DHCP is a requirement for any decent router. I can tell that the information exists as the Omada SDN can display the hostname registered along with the MAC address when the IP address was allocated.
Options
Re:Add local DNS server to ER605
2023-01-31 06:23:40

Hi, during the upgrade of ER605 v2.0 to 2.1.1 it mentioned somewhere in the "new features" section that there is something like DHCP domain client name assignment. Is that right that such a feature exists now in Omada? How to use it?

Options
2023-02-01 04:14:49 - last edited 2024-01-12 02:47:16

Dear @hammer86 and other community members,

Thank you so much for your valuable and continued feedback!

This feature request about adding the local DNS server to Omada Router has already been submitted to the developer team for evaluation, it's planned to add the support in the future firmware updates*. I haven't be informed whether both ER605 v1 and v2 will add the support, will try and provide an update for you once I get more information.

*All of our releases are subject to advancement or postponementthe final release date shall prevail. The above information is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute an indication to make any purchase decisions.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-02-01 05:48:58

@Fae Are there any of your Omada routers that have DNS / Hostname resolution?  Every router i have had over the last 20 years has had some sort of host name resolution. I was moving from Google Wifi to get a more powerful solution in place. In my opinion this is an absolute requirement and a deal breaker. I have start a return of all the TP-Link Omada equipment i have purchased through amazon due to this lack of simplistic functionality. 

Is it feasible to setup an external DNS server and forward NameChangeRequests to that specific sysetm? I supposed if I put something in place like BIND9 then that would suffice, but right now my confidence in Omada is very low.

Slated for return: 

OC-200

ER605 v2.6 according to box v2.0 according to software - thats just confusing.. use serial numbers if this is just identifying the point of manufacture not versioning.

TL-SG3428MP

TL-SG2210P

2 - EAP650

I am pretty disappointed with the solution and some of the simplistic functions that simply don't exist and in this day should absolutely exist. 

Thank you, ChaoticReality
Options
2023-02-01 05:53:38
MUST HAVE FUNCTIONALITY. Returning all my gear for something else, at a spend of over $1100 for what I bought I am not accepting no DNS. Not going to accept "use a host file" or "setup external DHCP/DNS", etc. I am seeing comments back into 2021 / 2020 promissing 'future support for dns resolution.
Thank you, ChaoticReality
Options
2023-02-01 06:27:12

@Fae this seems to be at the moment the highest requested feature on here, even higher than Wireguard support!

The implementation of this feature request should be reasonable small as a DHCP server and a DNS server already exist and they just need to be integrated. I know the devil's in the detail but since the basic building blocks are there it can't be too hard and hence I am also wondering why this hasn't been done. 

I noticed in the release notes vor ER605 V2_2.1.1 (https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/597396) this feature:

12. DHCP Server's DNS support for adding network addresses.

Has this something to do with it or what else would this do? 

Options
2023-02-01 06:32:57
If you're going to set up a separate dns/dhcp box I'd personally use dnsmasq. You could set it up in a VM or get one of those little cube routers from gl-inet which run openwrt and dnsmasq under the hood. Of course this really shouldn't be necessary.
Options
2023-02-01 06:57:58

Dear @aschmid,

aschmid wrote

I noticed in the release notes vor ER605 V2_2.1.1 (https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/597396) this feature:

12. DHCP Server's DNS support for adding network addresses.

Has this something to do with it or what else would this do? 

Nothing to do with the local DNS, it just supports adding network addresses like 192.168.0.0.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-02-10 19:42:04

TP Link are you serious? I bought the er605 to build a new network. now I have to realize that you can't even set the DNS, really? every junk router can do that, so I have to switch to unifiy. 🤬

Options

Voters 202

+ 198 Voters