Using the router in access point mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-22 13:35:21 - last edited 2022-06-24 18:03:18
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

So my main router/modem is the Archer A7 is the first floor. I was thinking about buying the Archer C6 V3.20and using it in the access point mode for the ground floor. I have a few questions related to this:

• Will I still be able to use the LAN ports on the Archer C6 if I change it into access point mode? 
  • Will the network in my house be the same if I change floors or will both the devices have different SSIDs?
  • And both the devices support OneMesh. Will it be useful in this case?
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Using the router in access point mode-Solution
2022-06-24 15:32:52 - last edited 2022-06-24 18:03:18

Dga wrote

@terziyski 

Well my only need is to have a single WiFi network throughout my house. I want to try both the methods but the only way to buy these stuff is through Amazon and the seller doesn't have any return policy. So I want it to be a single purchase solution.

@Dga 

In case you want a seamless roaming I would recommend to implement the OneMesh scenario.

But first check if your Archer A7 supports OneMEsh indeed - it depends on its HW and FW version.

In case of Archer C6 in AP mode you could use the Smart Connect feature to accomplish your goal:

If Archer A7 is OneMesh capable it should have this feature implemented as well - you can name its SSID the same as on the Archer C6.

In genral I would recommend using Archer C6 in AP mode in favor of connection stability, incrreased bandwidth and 4x LAN ports available.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Using the router in access point mode
2022-06-22 18:01:02

Dga wrote

So my main router/modem is the Archer A7 is the first floor. I was thinking about buying the Archer C6 V3.20and using it in the access point mode for the ground floor. I have a few questions related to this:

• Will I still be able to use the LAN ports on the Archer C6 if I change it into access point mode? 
  • Will the network in my house be the same if I change floors or will both the devices have different SSIDs?
  • And both the devices support OneMesh. Will it be useful in this case?

@Dga 

• Yes - use this guide (Case 1) for C6 in AP mode
  • The SSIDs could be the same or different - it depends on how you want to configure them
  • No - OneMesh can't be used between two routers - check Q8/A8 and Q10/A10 in OneMesh FAQ
If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-06-24 08:06:29

The SSIDs could be the same or different - it depends on how you want to configure them

@terziyski 

I want to have the same network throughout my house. Currently if I change floors, I have to change the WiFi network as well. If I convert the new router to Access Point mode, keep the same SSID, will it solve the problem or should I buy a range extender instead?

Options
2022-06-24 12:47:08 - last edited 2022-06-24 13:03:20

Dga wrote

The SSIDs could be the same or different - it depends on how you want to configure them

@terziyski 

I want to have the same network throughout my house. Currently if I change floors, I have to change the WiFi network as well. If I convert the new router to Access Point mode, keep the same SSID, will it solve the problem or should I buy a range extender instead?

@Dga .

I would suggest to try that first and see if it suits your needs. If it doesn't, then you should consider buying OneMesh compatible RE and setup OneMesh.

Here are more details configuring OneMesh if you're using Archer A7 for that.

Options
2022-06-24 14:37:40

@terziyski 

Well my only need is to have a single WiFi network throughout my house. I want to try both the methods but the only way to buy these stuff is through Amazon and the seller doesn't have any return policy. So I want it to be a single purchase solution.

Options
Re:Using the router in access point mode-Solution
2022-06-24 15:32:52 - last edited 2022-06-24 18:03:18

Dga wrote

@terziyski 

@Dga 

In case you want a seamless roaming I would recommend to implement the OneMesh scenario.

But first check if your Archer A7 supports OneMEsh indeed - it depends on its HW and FW version.

In case of Archer C6 in AP mode you could use the Smart Connect feature to accomplish your goal:

If Archer A7 is OneMesh capable it should have this feature implemented as well - you can name its SSID the same as on the Archer C6.

In genral I would recommend using Archer C6 in AP mode in favor of connection stability, incrreased bandwidth and 4x LAN ports available.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-06-24 18:03:13

@terziyski 

Yes, it does support. So Archer C6 in AP Mode should get the job done. Thanks! 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 802

Replies: 6

Related Articles