DHCP Server Fails Every Few Hours

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-12 21:01:16 - last edited 2022-09-09 03:31:15
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1

I've had an issue for about the last few weeks where it appears the DHCP server "fails" every few hours and will not provide dynamic IP addresses to WiFi devices.

If I take a device (like my phone or laptop) away from home for a few hours it cannot obtain an IP address from the network upon returning.  The device goes into the "obtaining IP address" status and then ultimately cannot connect.  This occurs on multiple Android, iOS, Windows, and ChromeOS devices. I have cycled wifi off/on, forgot the network, and rebooted the devices, all with no help. It occasionally affects devices which are constantly near the network, as if the DHCP lease will not renew.

Devices with reserved IPs connect just fine. I am unsure if it affects wired devices, as most of my wired devices have reserved IPs.

If I go into the management interface and enter the DHCP settings page (Controller Settings (cog on the lower left) | Wired Networks | LAN | Edit (under Actions)) and then simply click Save on the Edit Network page - even WITHOUT making any changes, just merely clicking Save - the DHCP server will again begin to work (for a few hours) and devices will pick up an IP address within a few seconds.

It's almost as if the DHCP server loses its "Enable" state on that page, and once I click "Save" it turns it back on.

My setup:

• OC200v1 fw 5.4.7 (also had this problem on the previous fw)
  • ER605v1 fw 1.2.1
  • 2x SG2008P switches
  • a mix of 3x EAP235-wallsv1, 4x 615-wallsv1, and an EAP245v3; all on the latest firmware
  • 1 LAN with only the single VLAN.  Everything is on the same subnet.
  • I do have a single MOCA adapter pair which feeds an unmanaged Netgear switch, and a separate unmanaged Netgear switch plugged direcly into one of the SG2008P (nonPOE port)

Any ideas?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:DHCP Server Fails Every Few Hours-Solution
2022-09-09 03:31:09 - last edited 2022-09-09 03:31:15

Hi there,

Thank you for coming to TP-Link Community for help!

If you suffer from the same DHCP issue as it's described below (thank you @jdpk for the detailed information), please follow this solution post for available solutions. Thanks for your cooperation and patience. See you in the community soon!

jdpk wrote

I've had an issue for about the last few weeks where it appears the DHCP server "fails" every few hours and will not provide dynamic IP addresses to WiFi devices.

If I take a device (like my phone or laptop) away from home for a few hours it cannot obtain an IP address from the network upon returning.  The device goes into the "obtaining IP address" status and then ultimately cannot connect.  This occurs on multiple Android, iOS, Windows, and ChromeOS devices. I have cycled wifi off/on, forgot the network, and rebooted the devices, all with no help. It occasionally affects devices which are constantly near the network, as if the DHCP lease will not renew.

Devices with reserved IPs connect just fine. I am unsure if it affects wired devices, as most of my wired devices have reserved IPs.

If I go into the management interface and enter the DHCP settings page (Controller Settings (cog on the lower left) | Wired Networks | LAN | Edit (under Actions)) and then simply click Save on the Edit Network page - even WITHOUT making any changes, just merely clicking Save - the DHCP server will again begin to work (for a few hours) and devices will pick up an IP address within a few seconds. 

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
18 Reply
Re:DHCP Server Fails Every Few Hours
2022-08-13 17:43:08

@jdpk 

Interesting,  I was having a similar issue on a site that I installed last month.  It was a remote area with about 10 AP's 6 POE switches and a couple of RF Bridges linking 5 buildings.  Some devices would just NOT acquire an IP when moving to the different buildings.  After numerous trips (150 miles round trip), on my dime, I finally ripped it all out put Ubiquiti equipment in and the problem went away.   I have been pretty faithful trying to put all of my new clients on the Omada gear vs. Ubiquiti, but am starting to wonder if that was a bad move.  I am already extremely discouraged with Omada, and the fact that I can't remotely backup the config file to my PC using the cloud (I can easily do this with Unifi).  

Options
2022-08-14 14:18:40

RSCW wrote

@jdpk 

Interesting,  I was having a similar issue on a site that I installed last month.  It was a remote area with about 10 AP's 6 POE switches and a couple of RF Bridges linking 5 buildings.  Some devices would just NOT acquire an IP when moving to the different buildings.  After numerous trips (150 miles round trip), on my dime, I finally ripped it all out put Ubiquiti equipment in and the problem went away.   I have been pretty faithful trying to put all of my new clients on the Omada gear vs. Ubiquiti, but am starting to wonder if that was a bad move.  I am already extremely discouraged with Omada, and the fact that I can't remotely backup the config file to my PC using the cloud (I can easily do this with Unifi).  

@RSCW 

Same here. Having waited for the promised 'jam tomorrow' features and a constant stream of niggles on the Omada system, I have decided to move future customer installs back to Ubiquiti kit.  

Shame, but TP-Link Omada is not a viable product for commercial sites at present.

Options
2022-08-15 03:12:09

Dear @jdpk,

jdpk wrote

Thank you for taking the time to post the issue in the community!

When the issue happens, if you go to the Clients page to have a check, is the device still showing up in the list with connected state?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-08-15 13:24:09

@Fae 

Fae, thanks for responding.

Yes, on the clients page it indicates that the device is connected, showing an IP assignment, the AP to which it (thinks it) is connected, the signal strength, etc. - but the device itself does not indicate a connection, an IP, and clearly does not have internet or LAN connection.

If I then turn WiFi off on the device, it is removed from the clients page after a few minutes.

Options
2022-08-15 22:40:38

@jdpk @Fae 

And here's another twist.

I had both my phone and my chromebook away from home today.  When I returned, neither would pick up an IP address.

When I looked at the client page, it appears the controller was attempting to assign them the same IP address.

I do know that this failure to obtain an IP address occurs, however, even when there is only 1 device attempting to connect, such as when it is only my phone that is coming back home and my laptop is off.  Also, turning off WiFi on my phone did not cause the chromebook to connect; I still have to go in and modify the DHCP page in the controller (even by only clicking "Save") or assign a static IP to one of the devices in order to resume the DHCP functionality of the network.

Options
2022-08-16 00:55:25

Dear @jdpk,

jdpk wrote

I had both my phone and my chromebook away from home today.  When I returned, neither would pick up an IP address.

When I looked at the client page, it appears the controller was attempting to assign them the same IP address.

I do know that this failure to obtain an IP address occurs, however, even when there is only 1 device attempting to connect, such as when it is only my phone that is coming back home and my laptop is off.  Also, turning off WiFi on my phone did not cause the chromebook to connect; I still have to go in and modify the DHCP page in the controller (even by only clicking "Save") or assign a static IP to one of the devices in order to resume the DHCP functionality of the network.

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is TKID220819122, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Options
2022-08-16 05:07:54 - last edited 2022-10-13 10:44:19

EDIT

Options
2022-08-16 14:08:40

@jdpk 

Similar problems here...  I hard reset the gateway (reset button on the device) and let Omada reprovision and it seems to be working since.

Options
2022-08-16 15:42:20

@btx 

Static IPs do indeed work, and I have taken to setting a static IP for some "critical" devices (like my wife's!), but while that provides a temporary fix, it is not a viable long-term solution.  I have 70+ clients on my network.

Options
2022-08-16 15:45:00

@Aveamantium 

Aveamantium wrote

@jdpk 

Similar problems here...  I hard reset the gateway (reset button on the device) and let Omada reprovision and it seems to be working since.

Great suggestion, thank you.

I had tried a "Force Provision" of the gateway from the controller software, but didn't make the logical jump to a hardware reset. 

I will try this next time I have access to the device.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2313

Replies: 18