Random clients declined IP address by DHCP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Random clients declined IP address by DHCP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
15 Reply
Re:Random clients declined IP address by DHCP
2022-08-19 10:35:24

@Tedd404 

the DHCP range is 192.168.0.1 to 254 with two reservations (my NAS  - for reasons of remote accessibility and also used as remote syslog server within the networtk - and an old iPad - which fails to get an IP address automatically without the reservation).

192.168.0.5 was simply the address of the device on which the WireShark capture was running. I don't think it has anything to do with the issues. At least, I didn't experience any issues with it for as long as I have been using this laptop (almost 1 year).

One thing I noticed is that I can enable the option to make the switch only to accept DHCP assignments from the TP-Link router. I think I'll do that to see if it helps. As @Virgo said  all seems to indicate there's a rogue DHCP server in the network but I don't see any direct evidence or links to it in the logging. 

Steven
Options
2022-09-01 08:33:52 - last edited 2022-09-01 08:34:57

@StevenB_BE 

that'll be legal dhcp server. 

if you run any services on docker(you mentioned nas) you can give a check on your nas. could be some server being a secondary dhcp server 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2022-09-03 15:41:48

Update: still unable to find a rogue DHCP although I've seen clients with identical IPs. The last case today. While working on my desktop pc my son, who came home 10 minutes earlier, complained he couldn't get onto the internet. Immediately checked the IP and it was identical to that of my pc. I started a Wireshark session and ran Microsoft's rogue DHCP detection tool. I also did several DHCP requests from my Macbook. Each DHCP request was answered only by my TP-Link router and the tool didn't find another one. 

I'm starting to think it's an issue with the router ...

I've reduced the DHCP lease time to 30 minutes (was 120) to see if the number of conflicts is reduced. 

Steven
Options
2022-09-03 16:09:00

@StevenB_BE 

Looking at the MAC address you mentioned as the client (76:99)  that MAC is not registered to any vendor, it looks to be a private mac address

Do you have private mac on your iphones / ipads?

Options
2022-09-03 17:56:56

@Philbert 

i doublechecked and, yes, all Apple devices here have a private MAC address as part of the private settings

Steven
Options