Starlink to CPE710

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Starlink to CPE710

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Starlink to CPE710
Starlink to CPE710
2022-10-02 23:52:22
Model: CPE710  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I've recently installed Starlink at our property and purchased 2 of the CPE710's to bring the network into our house.  I had to install the Starlink dish several hundred feet from the house in order to be clear of obstruction and have placed the starlink router securely in the barn.  I have the Access Point unit connected to the starlink router via the Starlink ethernet adapter, the client is set about 250 feet from the AP, and is run into the house via POE cat6.  On the LAN side, I run and ASUS router for a work network, and then into an Orbi Mesh Network for the rest of the house.

After some early double NAT issues, I believe it is all set up correctly.  Starlink --> CPE710 AP --> CPE710 Client --> Asus Router --> Orbi Mesh

If I head into the barn and run the speed test via the Starlink App from the Starlink wifi, I'm seeing 21 down, 4.1 up and 78ms latency.  Not great by starlink numbers by any means but there are lots of clouds and rain today so perhaps that has something to do with it.  I have seen up to 50 down so far, as it's only been up and running for about 24 hours.

In the house is where things go from mediocre to pretty awful, 5-8 down, 0.11 up and 103 ms latency.  I'm thinking it has something to do with the setup on the CPE710s.  Other than setup, the AP is under the eve of the barn which has a metal roof, could that be interruping the signal and causing the especially poor upload figures?

I ran the antenna alignment tool, seems ok.  Since the AP and Client are relatively close, I have everything else set to auto.  Anything I should be looking at in the Pharos app that can help me troubleshoot this?

Thank you

Options
5 Reply
Re:Starlink to CPE710
2022-10-04 22:06:38
OK, I determined that it must be the metal roof that is causing the issue so I installed the access point on a 4' pole on top of the roof. That seems to have helped the download speed, up to 120-130 mbps, but the latency is still over 100 ms and the upload is 0.01 mbps. The two dishes seemed to be aligned fine, am I missing a setting in the Pharos? Thank you
Options
2022-10-08 17:47:14

@TallBoy68 

After much tinkering around with the various routers and settings I have determined that the CPE710 is the problem.  If I am anywhere on the starlink side of that link, either with starlink router in bypass and my own router, or using starlink as the router, i'm getting acceptable down and up speeds with low latency.  If I connect in anyway to the TP Link, the latency and upload numbers go into the toilet.  I've tried different channels and bands all to no avial.

If someone from TP Link can weigh in with suggestions great, otherwise, these are being returned in favor of something that works.

Options
2022-10-10 11:16:13 - last edited 2022-10-10 13:18:59

@TallBoy68 

what latencies do you have when you are connected directly with the starlink cable? the higher the latencies, the higher they will be via the wifi bridge. I have other cpe connected to the ftth fiber and the latency times increase by 1/2 milliseconds therefore loss equal to zero, in your case the pobrema could also be of the connection.

Starlink --> CPE710 AP --> CPE710 Client --> Asus Router --> Orbi Mesh

if possible instead of the orbi solution in mesh I would go to network cable using the tp-link omada series accesspoints, I see it much more stable. These mesh solutions work well if upstream you have a strong connection otherwise they degrade the service.

Omada series accesspoint

as a router I would use this which is always a tp-link business product and gives you a completely different stability.

Router TP-Link

Options
2022-10-19 15:38:29 - last edited 2022-10-19 15:39:56

@TallBoy68 It would be beneficial if you could post screenshots of your CPE710 configuration page, particularlly the Status and Wireless Tabs.  You don't have either of the CPE710 set to "feed only" on Wireless Tab for Antenna do you?

Options
2022-10-19 17:23:30

@RickJamesBish 

Thanks Rick but I have anbondened the TP Links for the unifi UBB and it's working splendidly.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 785

Replies: 5

Related Articles