ER8411 VPN Client broken

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

ER8411 VPN Client broken

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
66 Reply
Re:ER8411 VPN Client broken
2024-02-26 09:25:20

@Clive_A 

as I have mentioned before.
yes I use Pivpn on ubuntu. I can also confirm that pivpn with udp works with ER7206v1, ER707-M2v1, ER605v1,v2 ER706Wv1 but not ER8411.

Options
2024-02-26 12:10:32

@Clive_A 

What the rep said was to try standalone to eliminate any potential misconfiguration and check whether the tunnel is up or not. You can try it in standalone mode while keeping your existing config on the controller.

I know, and I would, if I knew that it is possible to redeploy with having other Omada Devices in a seperate Management VLAN, without completly resetting them.

If you may, here's the timestamp, Oct. 24th, 2023. Should be early in the morning when you receive his reply. May you re-read what he said and get what he's trying to say.

I do not have this E-Mail... The last mail I received, was from Oct. 23th, 2023

In your reply, can you tell me what you set in the Local Network in these areas?

I tried using a seperate Network and Custom IP Ranges. Both did not work. The support also had access to my Controller to check the config, which was according the support correctly configured.

Do you make a connection in TCP?

Never tried TCP, because the OpenVPN Server is configured to UDP, which I cannot change.

OpenVPN server is hosted on the Linux, the whole contents are from OpenVPN official, correct?

As far as I know, yes.

Same config, regardless TCP and UDP, both work fine on all other devices you mentioned. Correct?

As already mentioned, I could not try TCP. But UDP works fine, on all other devices.

Expect your straightforward answers to them.

About the last rep of that ticket, I am not sure about his status now. If necessary, we can further analyze this.

I do not know, if it is necessary to further analyze my ticket. As already mentioned, I gave up using OpenVPN with ER8411 Router.

But I think TP-Link would make customers happy, if this whole OpenVPN topic could be solved.

Omada Controller Linux 5.14.26.1 TL-SG2008 v3.0 - 3.0.9 EAP653(EU) v1.0 - 1.0.14 EAP650-Outdoor(EU)v1.0 - 1.1.4 EAP610-Outdoor(EU) v1.0 - 1.2.5 EAP615-Wall(EU) v1.0 - 1.2.4
Options
2024-02-27 03:18:49

Hi @MatthiasL22 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

MatthiasL22 wrote

@Clive_A 

What the rep said was to try standalone to eliminate any potential misconfiguration and check whether the tunnel is up or not. You can try it in standalone mode while keeping your existing config on the controller.

I know, and I would, if I knew that it is possible to redeploy with having other Omada Devices in a seperate Management VLAN, without completly resetting them.

If you may, here's the timestamp, Oct. 24th, 2023. Should be early in the morning when you receive his reply. May you re-read what he said and get what he's trying to say.

I do not have this E-Mail... The last mail I received, was from Oct. 23th, 2023

In your reply, can you tell me what you set in the Local Network in these areas?

I tried using a seperate Network and Custom IP Ranges. Both did not work. The support also had access to my Controller to check the config, which was according the support correctly configured.

Do you make a connection in TCP?

Never tried TCP, because the OpenVPN Server is configured to UDP, which I cannot change.

OpenVPN server is hosted on the Linux, the whole contents are from OpenVPN official, correct?

As far as I know, yes.

Same config, regardless TCP and UDP, both work fine on all other devices you mentioned. Correct?

As already mentioned, I could not try TCP. But UDP works fine, on all other devices.

Expect your straightforward answers to them.

About the last rep of that ticket, I am not sure about his status now. If necessary, we can further analyze this.

I do not know, if it is necessary to further analyze my ticket. As already mentioned, I gave up using OpenVPN with ER8411 Router.

But I think TP-Link would make customers happy, if this whole OpenVPN topic could be solved.

UDP and you cannot change it. So, third-party VPN providers it is?

We cannot guarantee that will work with all the third-party providers. That's the answer. Some work, some don't. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can further investigate. We don't intend to be compatible with all of them. That would be very hard.

The whole point of this model is to work as a server and provide VPN access to the users when they are away from the site. Not a perfect ideal model for such a connection as to a third-party VPN and getting a proxy. About this compatibility, it was answered many many times. Consider a different brand for home-like use. They work pretty well on that AFAIK.

It is not always gonna be a happy ending for anyone who's using a third-party VPN provider. There is always a potential that it doesn't work together.

If your case is not about a third-party VPN provider, we can still discuss this. If it is, refer to the comment above.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-02-27 06:09:27

Hi @MR.S

MR.S wrote

@Clive_A 

as I have mentioned before.
yes I use Pivpn on ubuntu. I can also confirm that pivpn with udp works with ER7206v1, ER707-M2v1, ER605v1,v2 ER706Wv1 but not ER8411.

What I learned from a conversation with the dev contact, I am told that they found a fix to that. It seems there is a beta. I am not sure. Still asking for more information on this. Will let you know about this ASAP.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-02-27 07:29:11

@Clive_A Correct I cannot change it.

I was using home products a long time, which had always not the professional like features, VLAN, Central Managament, Multiple WLAN SSIDs, Outdoor products...

Nevertheless I could even imagine that the latest Beta from here

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/650556

Could also fix my issues because it allows usage of better security algorithms.

Which in-fact could also solve the issue with PiVPN.

Regards,

Matthias

Omada Controller Linux 5.14.26.1 TL-SG2008 v3.0 - 3.0.9 EAP653(EU) v1.0 - 1.0.14 EAP650-Outdoor(EU)v1.0 - 1.1.4 EAP610-Outdoor(EU) v1.0 - 1.2.5 EAP615-Wall(EU) v1.0 - 1.2.4
Options
2024-02-28 07:32:52

Hi @MatthiasL22 @MR.S

Got a beta firmware. Said that this beta is made for better compatibility. Will delete this in a week.

https://bit.ly/42TXaS8

Options
2024-02-28 07:38:42

@Clive_A 

Thank you. Are there any release notes available?

Options
2024-02-28 07:41:29

Hi @MatthiasL22 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

MatthiasL22 wrote

@Clive_A 

Thank you. Are there any release notes available?

No release note for firmware targets a specific problem.

Options
2024-02-28 07:42:36

@Clive_A 

Ok, I will give it a try.

Options
2024-02-28 08:21:44

@Clive_A 

For me, OpenVPN is working via UDP with this Beta!

Thanks!

Would be great to find the fix also in the next official Release!

Kind Regards

Options