adopting existing Omada gateway in new controller OC200

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-21 08:50:21 - last edited 2023-02-20 11:59:34
Model: OC200   ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I have an Omada ER605, working in my network. It is configured for Load Balancing and there are two ISP providing their network.
Works properly.
Now I want to add a controller to that network. The goal is to then migrate the devices in my network to TP link products in a better controlled manner.
I have installed the controller based on factory settings. As a result, my router was reset to default network settings, so the IP addresses were reset to the default, ...168.0.1. while I deliberately set them differently on the ER605. The 2 WANs were not taken into account.

I aborted the procedure because everything started to go offline and then reset the settings to the ER605.

I have read the Configuration Guide Updated 16810 (24/6/2022) article. But that seems to me to be about a new router/gateway where preparations are made on the controller for its installation. That is slightly different from what is at issue in my case.
So what is the procedure to include the gateway (ER605) in my controller without everything getting messed up again.

Thanks,

Bart

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:adopting existing Omada gateway in new controller OC200-Solution
2023-01-24 16:01:17 - last edited 2023-02-20 11:59:34

@Lange 

So in short, you need to rebuild your existing configuration within the OC200, ie create your two WAN's, assign PPPoe creds whatever.  Create your LAN subnets and DHCP assignments etc etc...basically everything you customized in your ER605 needs to be translated into the Controller.  You do need to basically factory reset your ER605 for a clean adoption by the OC200, but if you've set up the same environment in your controller, it will all get pushed out again and things will come back up as before.  Incidentally, the same approach is also needed if you corrupt a software controller and can no longer login...ask me how I know :)

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:adopting existing Omada gateway in new controller OC200-Solution
2023-01-24 16:01:17 - last edited 2023-02-20 11:59:34

@Lange 

So in short, you need to rebuild your existing configuration within the OC200, ie create your two WAN's, assign PPPoe creds whatever.  Create your LAN subnets and DHCP assignments etc etc...basically everything you customized in your ER605 needs to be translated into the Controller.  You do need to basically factory reset your ER605 for a clean adoption by the OC200, but if you've set up the same environment in your controller, it will all get pushed out again and things will come back up as before.  Incidentally, the same approach is also needed if you corrupt a software controller and can no longer login...ask me how I know :)

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:adopting existing Omada gateway in new controller OC200
2023-02-05 15:02:49
Thanks, this helped.
Options
2023-02-05 15:32:05

@Lange 

Glad to hear it!  Don't forget to make a backup of your working controller config, it's fun to do it once, but the second time around is just annoying.  You'll need to make backups anyways between each software upgrade...and I hope that the 5.8.4 load is coming soon for the OC200 (hint hint).  Lastly, if you have an old USB flashdrive kicking around, F4T-format (forum language rules?! are preventing me from use the correct term for File Allocation Table) it and stick in the USB port and then you can configure automatic backups (I used an old 512M I had in the drawer--which is plenty big for many many years).

Options
2023-02-06 08:32:59
Thanks again. I activated that USB drive backup. A handy little thumb drive, but it is a bit big at 32Gb. On to my new challenge. Creating a Vlan, that doesn't work before, maybe because I set my gateway to ....68.4 and not to ...68.1
Options
2023-02-06 12:46:43
Good luck. Be aware that the ports on the ER605 aren't seen as full switch ports by the SDN solution. In order to achieve VLAN separation and other switch-like behaviours successfully, you'll need to add a managed switch to your solution (ie SG2008). I added a feature request a long time ago that the Omada SDN be able to recognize the routers as router+virtualswitch, but so far it hasn't made it to any firmwares ;)
Options
2023-02-20 11:52:52
Sorry, late reply... I did that too. :-) I was aware of the fact that the ER605's ports do not function as "real" Switch ports. So yes I have a SG2008P behind it. It really hangs, admittedly, not optimal, but it is what it is. I did that and it works fine. Just like the VLAN that I will now further configure. What I wonder is the unclear communication about EAP610. If you buy it online, you can expect everything in terms of delivery. They send a large model, they send a small (new) model. The latter in V2 or V3. I got the correct (small) model and it works fine but later I found out that I was delivered a V3. On the TP-Link site it is stated that the EAP610 V3 is not supported by the (cloud) controller.OC200 etc...But I don't notice that, it works fine. Or....am I missing something?
Options
2023-02-20 14:32:09

@Lange Probably just the online info hasn't caught up with the plethora of version of the 610.  Honestly I wouldn't be too worried about managing a more recent device with an older device at all...for instance an OC200 taking on any 600 series AP should be a no-brainer.

Options