Can't Get the L2TP Server to Work on the Omada ER8411 Router. Any Tips?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-22 05:44:21
Tags: #VPN #L2TP
Model: ER8411  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1

Just as the post title says, I have an ER8411 router. I have tried forwarding ports the L2TP UDP ports within the router itself, but I can't get the L2TP VPN to work on any of my devices. I have set it up following TP-Link's guide and have rebooted several times to no avail. I've made sure my public IP is correct as well.

Here are my settings. The 192.168.40.1/24 subnet is my VPN VLAN pool. I've tried changing the "Local Networks" setting to just the VPN IP Group, but that hasn't helped either:

And here are the settings on my client device (iPhone):

I have the OC300 controller and a dummy modem (that has no DMZ or port-forwarding capability) in front of the router that connects to Comcast via coaxial. I have created a VPN user and entered the correct information on my device. I've never had this issue with any other VPN on my line of internet, even from super cheap consumer routers. I get the following error when connecting with iPhone: 

I've tried remaking the configuration, remaking everything, rebooting the router (even a hard restart) and rebooting the rest of the system. Nothing has worked. Any tips?

Options
8 Reply
Re:Can't Get the L2TP Server to Work on the Omada ER8411 Router. Any Tips?
2023-01-22 09:07:25
Options
2023-01-22 10:02:12

@Foobucket 

I did a test here and you are absolutely right, then there is one more thing that does not work on the ER8411
the only VPN that works is IPsec sit to site

OpenVPN is not working
SSL VPN Not Working
L2TP-Server does not work
L2TP Cleint works but only if the remote server has enabled Require MS-CHAP v2

I migrated from a working ER605v2 to ER8411 where much of the VPN stopped working so I have to use an ER605v2 router for OpenVPN here.

Options
2023-01-22 10:03:30 - last edited 2023-01-23 04:31:14

Just an update, I tried a hosting separate VPN server locally on another non-Omada device, and it worked once, and then never again. There's just no connection. Even if I open all ports and disable the firewall entirely, it still does nothing.

Despite my port-forwarding rules still being enabled, the Omada router has decided to close them after the first time I connected, and no port scanner has showed that they are open on any protocol. 

Options
2023-01-23 04:31:44

Also, in case anyone wants to know, I'm NOT behind a CGNAT. 

Options
2023-01-30 08:29:09

Dear @Foobucket,

How did you configure the Port Forwarding? Normally, only when the Router (for example, ER8411) is behind a NAT device, should we consider port forwarding. Furthermore, the port forwarding should be done on the front NAT device rather than on the Router (er8411) itself.

If the ER8411 router is not behind any NAT device, please remove the Port Forwarding or DMZ configuration from your ER8411, and check the VPN connection again. BTW, could you please show me the link of the TP-Link's guide you followed to setup the L2TP VPN?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-02-03 09:49:00

Dear @Foobucket,

Hope you are doing well. I’m wondering whether your concern was resolved finally?

If the issue still exists, please don't hesitate to reply here and I'll escalate your case to our support team for further assistance.

If your concern was resolved, welcome to update this topic thread and share your solution so that others may benefit from it.

We are looking forward to hearing from you again.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-05-20 07:01:24

@Foobucket I'm having the same problems; LT2P just doesn't want to work. i've followed the intructions to the letter and it doesnt work.

I'm running an ER605V2 with PPPoE, an OC200 controller and a TL-SG2210MP v4 switch. 

Options
2023-06-04 23:56:01

VPN really doesn't work right with er-8411, cant use openvpn client over 2.5.8. nat doesn't really work. ssl-vpn is screwy.  TP-Link should be ashamed of themselves for designating the 8411 as a business product. it needs a lot of work. I bought a sonicwall tz270 and it just works out of the box after configuration. no bs. So to eBay with the 8411 and I'll have serious reservations about purchasing any tp-link "business" product in the future

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1290

Replies: 8

Tags

VPN
L2TP