WiFi connect [DHCP] failure after ER7212PC firmware upgrade to 1.0.2

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-13 18:09:54 - last edited 2023-02-20 03:35:18
Model: ER7212PC  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

I have an ER7212PC with 3x PoE EAP-615 WiFi access points. The system has been working for a month until an hour ago when I upgraded the ER7212PC to firmware 1.0.2 downloaded from the tp-link UK website.

The Router was set up with the "Home" application scenario. I have three SSIDs setup with WPA2-PSK authentication and some non-default configuration including OFDMA and 802.11r (roaming) enabled.

After the upgrade, many of my devices fail to connect to the WiFi, for example, Android Phones and Nest Mini smart speakers fail to connect; my Windows 11 Surface Book 3 computer can connect to the WiFi [but stopped working after the DHCP lease expired].

The Omada event log has messages like this:

[Failed]9C-29-76-XX-XX-XX failed to connected to Front 1C-61-B4-XX-XX-XX with SSID "romeo" on channel 36 because WPA Authentication times out/failed.(1 time in a minute)

The Android client reports

Connection failed

There was a problem authenticating the connection from your phone to the network.

There are approximately 30 clients on the network with reserved IP addresses, but the ability to connect is not related to IP reservations. I have tried turning OFDMA and 802.11r off, with no change to my problem.

How should I proceed, or is there any extra useful information that I could provide here?

Edit:

Wired clients are failing to get IP addresses from the DHCP server, but work fine with a manually configured IPv4 address.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:WiFi connect [DHCP] failure after ER7212PC firmware upgrade to 1.0.2-Solution
2023-02-20 03:33:52 - last edited 2023-02-20 03:35:18

Dear @RockPaper,

Sorry to hear that you have DHCP issues with your ER7212PC. From your issue description, I think the DHCP issue you encountered is the same as the issue TP-Link recently located. The firmware will be released soon to fix the issue, you may subscribe to this solution post for an update. See you in the forums soon!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:WiFi connect [DHCP] failure after ER7212PC firmware upgrade to 1.0.2
2023-02-13 20:11:42 - last edited 2023-02-18 10:18:09

I used the Live Chat support feature, and they were able to help me get my network working again.

The steps were:

1/ Connect a computer/device directly to the router with a wired connection

2/ Configure the device with a static IP address on the LAN Go to the Management UI > Settings > Wired Networks > LAN

3/ Edit the settings for my LAN (click the edit symbol in the table)

4/ Uncheck the DHCP Server Enable box

5/ Save

6/ Go back to edit the LAN settings

7/ Check the DHCP Server Enable box

8/ Click the "Update DHCP Range" and edit as needed

9/ Save

I had to do that twice. Maybe I didn't follow the instructions carefully enough the first time?

Options
2023-02-18 10:24:47

@RockPaper Because of electrical work in my home I've had to reboot my Omada router and EAPs today, and so all of my wired and WiFi devices again were unable to connect because the DHCP service in the ER7212PC fails to start after a reboot (I think because of a bug that is triggered by having DHCP fixed/reserved IP addresses configured).

Going through the steps above to fix the issue, I noticed that the first time I tried to restart the DHCP service it allowed WiFi devices to connect but not wired devices, and it needed a second, third or forth attempt to reenable DHCP to get everything working. Very frustrating. 

Does anyone have any information about when a firmware to fix this is planned? 

Options
Re:WiFi connect [DHCP] failure after ER7212PC firmware upgrade to 1.0.2-Solution
2023-02-20 03:33:52 - last edited 2023-02-20 03:35:18

Dear @RockPaper,

Sorry to hear that you have DHCP issues with your ER7212PC. From your issue description, I think the DHCP issue you encountered is the same as the issue TP-Link recently located. The firmware will be released soon to fix the issue, you may subscribe to this solution post for an update. See you in the forums soon!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-02-20 09:17:54

@Fae Thank you - I will do that. 

The thread that you noted does not include ER7212PC in the title - is it possible for you to confirm with the firmware engineering team that they are aware that the issue also impacts the ER7212PC?

Is there a beta available for the ER7212PC that I could try?

Also I have a two small feature requests that would be helpful:

1/ Ensure that if the DHCP service (or any other service) fails to start that it should appear as an error alert in the log

2/ Provide a way to see in the Omada UI which service (DNS, DHCP, etc) are *actually* running

Options
2023-02-21 04:00:16

Dear @RockPaper,

Thank you for your kind feedback. It seems the DHCP issue also exist on the ER7212PC. To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is TKID230234901, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Regarding the feature request, I'd encourage you to start a new thread in the forum block of Requests & Suggestions to make your request seen and voted by more people.

Options
2023-02-23 14:49:31

@Fae Thank you, The firmware that you made available to me, and that you linked at the top of the other thread, has fixed the problem for me: the DHCP service was available and working after the router rebooted. I've had two days of uptime now and everything seems to be working well. 

The Omada controller version update to 5.8.20 in the new firmware was a welcome surprise, but I haven't tried to use any of the new features.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 918

Replies: 6