WLAN deployment on old University Dormitory

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-22 16:00:37
Model: EAP265 HD  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5.0.6

Hello,

I'm trying to improve the connectivity of students on an old university dormitory and I would like some help in the problems I'm receiving.

This is a diagram of the floor:

Two APs are powered from a PoE switch and the remaining two are powered from a PoE injector connected to first APs (This I'm planning to change)

AP configuration:

I measured the signal in the room and every room except two are between  -55 and -65. The remaing two are in -65 and -70.

Here is a snapshot of cliente conectivity now:

On the controller I limit the RSSI to -80 for 2GHz and -75dBm for 5GHz.

I limiteed the download/upload speed to 15M/15M

I activated band steering.

The students are telling me that randomly experience disconnections and low speeds, what I need to do to improve WLAN stability?

Regards,

Options
3 Reply
Re:WLAN deployment on old University Dormitory
2023-02-22 19:04:35

@ogt 

Couple of things come to mind.

1. create a second 5ghz only SSID and recommend that for use by anyone with 5G capable devices (a lot of devices are lazy and hang on 2.4)

2. remove the low signal limit restrictions for now

3. upgrade all APs to the latest firmware version (you have two at 5.4 and two at 5.6)

4. what does the surrounding RF environment look like?  if you have a 100 foreign access points doing their thing...not much you can do about that!

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-02-23 11:16:54

@d0ugmac1 

I updated the remaining two APs and removed the RSSI restrictions.

5GHz channels seems usable, I'm gonna try separating the two channels.

Options
2023-02-23 14:09:34

@ogt 

Some more hopefully helpful bits of advice:

One is to fix your 2.4G channels (use only non overlapping 1,6,11) at 20Mhz and do NOT allow them to go to 40Mhz.  The only time you should consider anything other than 20Mhz is if you have 1 AP in a cabin in the woods...  Letting the AP decide (Auto) can be particularly problematic.

Two is to manually engineer your frequencies, particularly for 2.4.  If you think of your current APs being in the 4 quadrants of a graph, then starting with quadrant 1 and going counter-clockwise I would fix them at 1,6,1,11 (subject to any other local AP interference on those channels).  For 5.8ghz, not all channels are created equal in all regions.  Have a look at the maximum permissible power output of your available channels for your region, select accordingly and be mindful of potential overlaps if you enable channel bonding (ie >20Mhz).

Here's an excerpt from the Wikipedia page for "List of WLAN channels" which I advise you to review, pay particular attention to the notes and country specifics at the bottom of the table.

wiki

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 285

Replies: 3