OC200 Warning Message Meanings?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-28 17:33:04 - last edited 2023-03-02 10:24:25
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.21.7

Hi,

Set up an wifi system in a large house with 7 wifi access points.

Comprises of latest BT Hub connected to network switch (TL-SG2428P) then i have six EAP620HD and one EAP610 and a OC200 controller connected to this.

All seems ok but just wondered what the error warnings are that i'm getting on two of the access points (see photos below)

Top floor office says "High 53%" in red, whats this please?

Lounge says "Busy", whats this please ?

Not getting these messages on the other five access points and i've tried different 2.4G channels (1,6,11) and different 5G channels (36,40,44,48) but warnings still remain.

I have channel width set at 20mhz for both bands and i have tried different TX Powers.

Scanned with an analyser and don't seem to be getting any other wifi signals from neighbouring properties.

Any advice much appreciated. TIA

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:OC200 Warning Message Meanings?-Solution
2023-02-28 21:39:59 - last edited 2023-03-02 10:24:25

@JonnieBeGood 

Hey

Ok so starting with the HIGH you mentioned, this is the utilisation of the airspace in the selected channel.   In the picture with the purple arrow, most of the utilisation is incoming (Rx Receiving) traffic with a smidgen of sending (Tx) and some interference (unavoidable sadly).   In short 2.4ghz is a nightmare and will flood SO SO easily, if you are asking my opinion just ignore this and crack on regardless.  I have seen people spend days fighting to win with 2.4 connections and flooding, it aint going to happen as the airspace is too congested overall.   That is why we moved to 5ghz (and now even 6ghz).  Note this is only on the 2.4ghz

Busy is just the same thing as interference, in short 5% of the airspace is being used by something outside you WiFi.. Could be zigbee, neighbours wifi, tv, microwave, cordless phone.. the list is endless.  Again one of the issues with 2.4ghz.   You may find in a later firmware they change to say interference to keep things common, the 610 is very new :)

Jumping channels on 2.4ghz wont make any difference if honest, you are shooting a moving target.    Ideally keep as little as you can on 2.4.    As you have a controller have you enabled fast roaming and bandsteering?  This will force as many as possible devices over to the 5ghz and greatly improve things for you.  Note you cant enable this via the app, you need to go to SETTING > SITE > ADVANCED FEATURES  on the controller via a browser.

Yes keep the 2.4 on 20mhz bands..   but the 5ghz set for 80 or higher if you can.   The interference you are seeing is only on 2.4ghz  (same with everyone), so you may find that enabling band steering and fast roaming will really help this.   I also tend to enable Airtime Fairness for the 2.4ghz frequency only, that stops one device saturating the entire airspace.  In terms of power settings, just leave on AUTO as the controller generally does a very good job managing this.

The post below is the same issue as yours, so may be of interest!

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/572536?replyId=1114078

Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:OC200 Warning Message Meanings?-Solution
2023-02-28 21:39:59 - last edited 2023-03-02 10:24:25

@JonnieBeGood 

Hey

Ok so starting with the HIGH you mentioned, this is the utilisation of the airspace in the selected channel.   In the picture with the purple arrow, most of the utilisation is incoming (Rx Receiving) traffic with a smidgen of sending (Tx) and some interference (unavoidable sadly).   In short 2.4ghz is a nightmare and will flood SO SO easily, if you are asking my opinion just ignore this and crack on regardless.  I have seen people spend days fighting to win with 2.4 connections and flooding, it aint going to happen as the airspace is too congested overall.   That is why we moved to 5ghz (and now even 6ghz).  Note this is only on the 2.4ghz

Busy is just the same thing as interference, in short 5% of the airspace is being used by something outside you WiFi.. Could be zigbee, neighbours wifi, tv, microwave, cordless phone.. the list is endless.  Again one of the issues with 2.4ghz.   You may find in a later firmware they change to say interference to keep things common, the 610 is very new :)

Jumping channels on 2.4ghz wont make any difference if honest, you are shooting a moving target.    Ideally keep as little as you can on 2.4.    As you have a controller have you enabled fast roaming and bandsteering?  This will force as many as possible devices over to the 5ghz and greatly improve things for you.  Note you cant enable this via the app, you need to go to SETTING > SITE > ADVANCED FEATURES  on the controller via a browser.

Yes keep the 2.4 on 20mhz bands..   but the 5ghz set for 80 or higher if you can.   The interference you are seeing is only on 2.4ghz  (same with everyone), so you may find that enabling band steering and fast roaming will really help this.   I also tend to enable Airtime Fairness for the 2.4ghz frequency only, that stops one device saturating the entire airspace.  In terms of power settings, just leave on AUTO as the controller generally does a very good job managing this.

The post below is the same issue as yours, so may be of interest!

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/572536?replyId=1114078

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:OC200 Warning Message Meanings?
2023-02-28 21:44:15

@JonnieBeGood 

In the first pic, the orange bar is equivalent to the sum of the blue+green+orange bars in the second and represent channel utilization %.

When more than half the channel is being used or interfered with, channel utilization is considered 'High' meaning your throughput performance will be lower and some slow down or packet loss may occur.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-02-28 22:55:40

@Philbert 

thank you so much for the advice, very helpful.

yes I had already enabled band steering and fast roaming on controller settings via app, said it was activated, so do I still need to do it via a browser as well?

don't seem to have an option for auto on power, just high, medium, low and custom.

couldn't find the option for airtime fairness, is it not on the controller app, or maybe called something else?

what about dual band 11k report and force dis-association, I have these enabled, is that right?

cheers J.

Options
2023-03-01 18:17:07
Also is it good practice to enable AI Roaming as well as Fast Roaming? I've set band steering to 'Prefer 5Ghz/6Ghz' ? as suggested. and now finally found airtime fairness and enabled just on 2.4. Auto power setting is only available on browser not via the app. Omada app does seem to have a lot less of the required settings!
Options
2023-03-01 23:10:11

@JonnieBeGood 

hEY

To get the AUTO setting for power try via the browser on the OC200, I just checked and can see it ok.  

Dual Band 11K basically means it can roam from AP1 2.4ghz to AP2 5ghz..   usually they can only roam on the same band, enabling this is generally a good thing!    Force dis-association is likely OK to put on also, probably wont be used much as its really for old devices that wont reply to a roam.  Basically if it dont roam, force it offline and back online again (force roam), rarely is it used outside really old printers imho

Options
2023-03-01 23:14:17

@JonnieBeGood 

AI Roaming basically just makes roaming smarter, allows the network to load balance better.   Say you have 10 devices in AP1 which is a stronger signal (marginally), AI Roaming may move 4 of those to AP2, yes slightly weaker signal but less congestion and better experience overall.. thats basically the Idea and seems to work fine, there are very few complaints on here about it.

Band steering, yes preferred 5/6ghz is the best setting, get as many off the 2.4 as possible.

In relation to the app, its more for general every day admin and not reallly setup or config.   The Omada solution is for business use so the accepted practice is GUI on the controller, no business really would admin this from the app.   I have the app for most of the businesses i support, apart from the odd reboot of an AP or checking stats its 99% GUI all the way.

Options
2023-03-02 07:36:36

@Philbert 

Thanks for sharing your best practice WLAN configuration in regards to channel width, transmit power, airtime fairness etc. and I couldn't agree more.

Doing exactly the same.

Question: How about these 2 for 2.4 and 5 GHz?

Do you enable both settings on both bands?

What's your experience here?

Thanks!

Options
2023-03-02 10:23:51

@Philbert 

Thank you for all your advice, very helpful and much appreciated.

Options
2023-03-02 17:25:45

@Hoamboy 

Hey

OFDMA is a bit of a contraversial thing, in my opinion YES enable it unless its going to cause you issues with some clients.  

In short, OFDMA allows mulitple clients data to be sent in one packet, along with data from other clients.   Its the WiFi equilivent of filling one Truck with everyones stuff, vs sending 2 Trunks half full with your own stuff.  

Its generally a good thing and can improve performance as the client count increases, however in some VERY rare instances older devices dont like this and it can cause loss or disconnects.   Also only works on WiFi6 APs and Clients..

Outside that.. yes recommend leave enabled!

Options
2023-03-02 18:39:06

@Philbert 

Sorry a few last questions about settings i forgot to ask last time please, then i'm done, promise! smiley

Load Balance for 2.4ghz and 5ghz, whats this?

Whats the best practice for Max Associated Clients & RSSI Threshold, enable them or not?

QoS, for 2.4ghz and 5ghz, what's this?

Whats best practice for No Acknowledgement & Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery, enable them or not?

Cheers Jonnie

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 904

Replies: 12

Related Articles