TP-LINK ER605 Setup for connection to home computer

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-09 13:31:47

Hi everybody, i want to have access to my home computer from outside.

I have a internetmodem that delivers a dynamic ip address.

I guess i have to use dyndns.

What else do i have to do, to be able to access my computer.

Kind regards Thembani

Options
3 Reply
Re:TP-LINK ER605 Setup for connection to home computer
2023-03-09 16:04:27 - last edited 2023-03-09 16:07:15

@Thembani Depends on how you want to connect to your home computer - do you use Remote Desktop (RDP) on a Windows System? VNC? Parsec? Opening up ports and forwarding them in your ER605 (for RDP access, for example, which uses TCP port 3389) is the LEAST secure method of permitting access to your home PC from the external WAN, but it's one option. And yes, you would need a ddns service such as no-ip if your ISP provides you with a dynamic IP address.

I would personally recommend using a product such as Parsec, as long as you have a PC or Mac that is fairly modern, which is a Cloud-based remote desktop app (free to download). Parsec must be installed on the CLIENT and the HOST. It should not require any port forwarding, and can be secured using 2FA. No dynamic IP necessary. As long as you have the Parsec client installed (on another laptop/PC or a mobile device) and you know your Parsec account/password, you can login to your home computer remotely via Parsec. I personally use Parsec on my home PC and have not had issues connecting to it from outside my network. It's a more secure solution than opening up ports to use RDP, and relatively simple. Give it a shot.

Hybrid OPNsense/Omada EAP Cat6 backhaul 4 x EAP670 1 x EAP610-Outdoor Omada Controller v5.14.0.10 Win 11 Router: OPNsense Intel N5105 quad-core I226V 2.5Gbe w/16GB RAM Dual WAN Fios/Spectrum 1Gbps
Options
2023-03-09 21:23:44

Thx Shoresy, i would prefere to use RDP.

Any instructions on how to configure this?

Thx Thembani

Options
2023-03-09 21:33:38 - last edited 2023-03-09 21:37:54

1. Assign your PC a static IP on your LAN

2. Set up a new account with a dyndns service like no-ip

3. Configure dyndns service on your router or install a client app like the no-ip DUC so that your dynamic IP is properly updated with the dyndns service

4. Forward TCP/UDP port 3389 to the IP you assigned to your PC from your WAN interface - you can easily set this up within your ER605 UI, or set the port forwarding up in Omada if that's what you're using to manage your TP-Link devices.

A more secure option would be to set up a VPN tunnel so that you can "VPN" into your network. That'll take some searching online as to how to properly set that up as it's more complex than simple port forwarding and too lengthy to describe in a forum post.

Hybrid OPNsense/Omada EAP Cat6 backhaul 4 x EAP670 1 x EAP610-Outdoor Omada Controller v5.14.0.10 Win 11 Router: OPNsense Intel N5105 quad-core I226V 2.5Gbe w/16GB RAM Dual WAN Fios/Spectrum 1Gbps
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1495

Replies: 3

Related Articles