Omada Software Controller (Windows 11) - missing Wifi and Wired clients on the clients list - 5.9.31

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Omada Software Controller (Windows 11) - missing Wifi and Wired clients on the clients list - 5.9.31

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-18 14:41:30 - last edited 2023-03-23 16:07:28
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 5.9.31

I recently migrated my Omada Software Controller from an older Windows PC with 8GB of RAM to a new Windows 11 PC with 32GB of RAM, both Omada controllers were running v5.9.31 at the time of migration, same version on both. I've noticed that certain clients are not "seen" by the new software controller. The new Windows 11 PC does sit behind a dummy switch (but so did the older Win 11 PC), but other than that it is directly wired to my LAN and has full network access and no local firewall rules that would restrict it from seeing certain network clients. I am using a 3rd-party OPNsense router/firewall as my gateway, instead of an Omada device, though that didn't seem to have an impact on what the previous Windows 11 Omada software controller could see on my LAN.

For example, the new Omada controller doesn't see my Nest Doorbell camera, which is on a Guest network SSID. It is nowhere to be found on my clients list, even though it is accessible and clearly joined to one of my Omada EAPs. The previous Windows 11 Omada Software Controller, same version, 5.9.31, could see that device in addition to a few others that the new controller does not appear to see on the network. Is there any way to force the software controller to "re-discover" these clients on my network? Or should I expect them to eventually show up at some point? Both wired and wireless clients are definitely missing from the clients list...there are about 60 clients on my LAN, both wired and wireless, the new Omada controller (after migration) only sees about 50 of these clients now.

I've followed all of the tips found here - https://www.tp-link.com/no/support/faq/2980/ - however, this did not resolve my issue. Java is permitted through the Windows firewall, and there are no topology restrictions, such as the Omada software controller being on a different subnet or VLAN. As I mentioned previously, the Windows 11 PC running the Omada SDN has access to every device on the LAN, same as the previous Windows 11 software controller.

Note that this issue is about seeing clients (wired and wireless) on my network, NOT devices, such as EAPs. The new Windows 11 Omada Software controller provisioned and adopted every "device" (EAP and Omada switch) without a problem.

Hybrid OPNsense/Omada EAP Cat6 backhaul 4 x EAP670 1 x EAP610-Outdoor Omada Controller v5.14.0.10 Win 11 Router: OPNsense Intel N5105 quad-core I226V 2.5Gbe w/16GB RAM Dual WAN Fios/Spectrum 1Gbps
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Omada Software Controller (Windows 11) - missing Wifi and Wired clients on the clients list - 5.9.31-Solution
2023-03-23 01:42:27 - last edited 2023-03-23 16:07:28

Hello @Shoresy ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the issue on the TP-Link community!

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is TKID230339349, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, welcome to update this topic thread with your solution to help others who may encounter the same issue as you did.

Many thanks for your great cooperation and patience!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Omada Software Controller (Windows 11) - missing Wifi and Wired clients on the clients list - 5.9.31
2023-03-20 07:02:11

@Shoresy 

If you go to Insight---Known Clients, can you find your Nest Doorbell camera?

If you can find it, you can click "Forget", and go to Clients list to check it again.

Did you reboot the controller or the camera to test?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:Omada Software Controller (Windows 11) - missing Wifi and Wired clients on the clients list - 5.9.31
2023-03-20 12:19:43 - last edited 2023-03-21 02:04:04

I've noticed that a lot of MAC addresses are showing up in the "NAME" column for Known clients, instead of the custom names I've given the clients. However, a lot of the names are still showing up as well. The Nest cam does show up in Insights...when I click the "Forget" icon to the right, a "General Error" pops up. I haven't rebooted the Nest camera, but I've connected to it and had it disconnect/re-join the network. The Nest cam is functioning just fine on the network, it's just not showing up in the clients list. I also see a lot of duplicates showing up in Insights, but when I try to "Forget" any of them, I just get a "General Error." I've posted a screenshot...is there a way to rebuild and/or reconcile the clients list?

00e083243ade426e86034796df8a7ae1

*** Note that this topic was covered in another thread. TP-Link support seems to have found the issue and a fix should be upcoming.

Hybrid OPNsense/Omada EAP Cat6 backhaul 4 x EAP670 1 x EAP610-Outdoor Omada Controller v5.14.0.10 Win 11 Router: OPNsense Intel N5105 quad-core I226V 2.5Gbe w/16GB RAM Dual WAN Fios/Spectrum 1Gbps
Options
2023-03-21 11:36:55 - last edited 2023-03-21 11:37:31

Hello @Shoresy 

Did you enable "Lock to AP" feature on some clients before?

Are you sure that wired clients also not showing on the clients list even if they have valid IP address from DHCP and working?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-03-22 02:42:51 - last edited 2023-03-22 02:56:25

@Fae  - Yes I did enable "Lock to AP" on some clients prior to the migration (which included back/restore of settings), and I believe I did so on the Nest wifi doorbell cam that is no longer showing up in the clients list. I am still missing some wired clients from the list, but will have to go back and compare to my previous clients list to find out exactly how many are missing. I believe the missing Wifi clients I may have enabled "Lock to AP" on all of them (4 or 5 clients in total), which makes sense as to why they're missing. My Insights list at this point is really messed up...there are duplicates in there as well as a number of MAC addresses that I cannot identify.

How can I disable the "lock to AP" feature if the client is missing from the client list?

Options
Re:Omada Software Controller (Windows 11) - missing Wifi and Wired clients on the clients list - 5.9.31-Solution
2023-03-23 01:42:27 - last edited 2023-03-23 16:07:28

Hello @Shoresy ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the issue on the TP-Link community!

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is TKID230339349, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, welcome to update this topic thread with your solution to help others who may encounter the same issue as you did.

Many thanks for your great cooperation and patience!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-08-30 01:23:19

I have this same issue, the backup/restore is obviously not fully functional.

Rebuilding a new controller is a serious headache. How exactly can I resolve the missing clients? 

Options
2023-08-31 01:39:36

Hello @Ozfi,

A newer 5.12 Beta firmware has been released for trial, you may take your time to upgrade the Beta firmware and confirm the issue you encountered has been resolved.
Omada SDN Controller_V5.12.x (Updated on Aug 21st, 2023)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1246

Replies: 7