After DB Restore i cant access many of my devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-22 08:48:14 - last edited 2023-03-22 15:15:55

Now: Omada Software Controller 5.9.31

I upgraded our software controller 4 weeks ago on the latest version. Yesterday i wanted to access our controller via web access, but i got the error that the controller was not running. So i checked the processes on the virtual machine. I got many db errors. So i uninstalled the older version with cloud access and installed today the latest software controller without cloud access and restored a backup from 4 weeks ago.

Now, every device shows "managed by others". I tried adopting with our secret device credentials, with factory credentials like admin/admin or admin/password, but i got every time the error "Failed to adopt the device because the username or password is incorrect.".
I know after adopting the credentials will be encrypted. But how can i access my devices again? Even the discover utility says "Adopt Failed" and i even cant access the web server of the device itself from LAN. Can i reset the devices remotely to factory defaults without pressing the small button on the device? The access points are mostly mounted on the ceiling, 5 meters above our heads....

Is there any possibility to remote reset the APs or see the credentials used by the AP? Why do the access points say managed by other controller? I restored the same controller ID on the same Windows host with the same IP.

Gerrit Wahlers

Options
4 Reply
Re:After DB Restore i cant access many of my devices
2023-03-22 08:51:47 - last edited 2023-03-22 08:54:23

P.S. The devices a still working, but i cant manage them, not via cloud access, not via local software controller, not via device web server.

Options
2023-03-22 21:21:30

@AdminCat 

The reason is that you migrated them to a new controller which has a new CID (controller ID) and a new secret password etc.  You then tried to re-manage them with the older controller info which isn't going to work.  It sounds like you did not take a backup of the new controller or that when you built it you replace the admin account info in the new controller.  Having just experienced some failed migrations myself, I know that the new controllers will refuse to run if the data is corrupted.

I don't think you have any choice but to factory default all your devices and allow them to be re-adopted by the controller you've just restored.

Huge reason to immediately backup any controller once you've migrated it!

Also a reason to suggest to TPlink that some kind of a 'recovery' utility be created, even if it involves a paid license and somebody from the factory connected online to use it, because that was my first experience with this 'issue'...having to climb a 12' mast on the peak of a snowy roof at -20'C to reset my EAP225-outdoor basestation.  Fun times.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-04-04 14:01:06

@d0ugmac1 

Okay we are now resetting one after another EAP. Is there any possibility to prevent faults like these? 

We are adopting like this procedure:

1) Install a local DHCP server in same subnet.
2) Connecting all EAP devices.
3) Login to web server of each device and changing default credentials from admin/admin to own credentials.
4) Using the discovery tool to connect to software controller on other subnet in VPN.

5) Changing the Administrator account in site settings to own credentials.

6) Trying to Batch Adopt all devices. This has never worked before (?!?).
7) Adopting one after another with own credentials manually after using the Retry button.

8) ------ Are now the credentials on the EAP devices changing to random? --------
9) If i shut ddown the controller i cant login to EAP's web server. Because credentials are wrong. But why?

Options
2023-04-04 14:16:50

AdminCat wrote

@d0ugmac1 

Okay we are now resetting one after another EAP. Is there any possibility to prevent faults like these? 

We are adopting like this procedure:

1) Install a local DHCP server in same subnet.
2) Connecting all EAP devices.
3) Login to web server of each device and changing default credentials from admin/admin to own credentials.
4) Using the discovery tool to connect to software controller on other subnet in VPN.

5) Changing the Administrator account in site settings to own credentials.

6) Trying to Batch Adopt all devices. This has never worked before (?!?).
7) Adopting one after another with own credentials manually after using the Retry button.

8) ------ Are now the credentials on the EAP devices changing to random? --------
9) If i shut ddown the controller i cant login to EAP's web server. Because credentials are wrong. But why?

@AdminCat 

Ok, it feels like you might be making this more painful than necessary, I could be wrong, but let's try a few things.  First please review this KB:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/kb/detail/632

It sounds like you are using Option 2 from the KB right now.  It should really be as simple (assuming DHCP is present on the local network ie Step 1) as resetting each device to factory and running the batch config tool with admin/admin (Step #4).  In general the controller is smart enough to try admin/admin when adopting any device, so (Step #3 and #5) above should be unnecessary.  Once adopted each device will replace admin/admin with the Device Account as set in the local site (Site Settings->Site->Device Account).  Once adopted and managed by a controller, you are blocked from entering the device's Web interface to prevent you from changing the settings needed by Omada (this is normal).

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 453

Replies: 4