Adding an OC200 to an already configured network in standalone

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-22 14:17:03

I have a network already set up using an ER605 router and a non-omada SG108PE switch. I'm then running Deco X50 PoE mesh in access point mode using the Deco app to monitor/set up the Wi-Fi network. I know the switch and deco's are not Omada adoptable but in the future I may plan on getting Omada access points. 

id like to add an OC200 to the existing network to control and monitor the router but I'm under the assumption that it's not possible without resetting the ER605 back to factory settings. Can I plug the controller into the PoE switch and have it able to manage the wired network without needing to reset my entire network?

Options
8 Reply
Re:Adding an OC200 to an already configured network in standalone
2023-03-22 15:44:12

@dictoresno 

You can do half of what you want, because as you set up the controller, it will prompt if you want to retain the WAN settings:

wan

but you will still need to rebuild any LAN specific settings, ie subnet other than 192.168.0.0/24 if you care, port forwards, DHCP reservations etc.  This can be done offline in the controller and comparing and copying from the active standalone ER605.  Then, when you're ready, you can default the ER605 and adopt it, and it should come up live the way you wanted it...about 5min of downtime if all goes well.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-03-22 16:10:30
Perfect. The only LAN settings I have are some DHCP reservations which I can set back up quickly. So basically just plug it in and follow the set up process and just keep an eye out for the WAN override prompt or is it a setting in the controller.
Options
2023-03-22 16:22:37 - last edited 2023-03-22 16:23:48

Yes, it's part of the 'Setup New Config' process when you launch the controller for the first time. I cut and paste from the standalone web page into a text editor...and then it's an easy cut'n'paste into the controller from there. Honestly, the hardest part is just finding where everything is in the Controller UI...for instance the DHCP Reservations are in the Settings->Site Settings->Services and then the DHCP Reservations tab is the first one.

Options
2023-03-22 16:43:37 - last edited 2023-03-22 16:50:40

@d0ugmac1 

thank you again. i plugged it in, found its IP address and its loading. so basically it takes over all router functions for the router. i wont need to log into the router to make changes, i can do them from the controllers web interface or the omada app. correct?

just to be clear, at the WAN override step, i want to click "skip" at the bottom correct? i dont need to reconfigure my WAN settings for my ER605.

Options
2023-03-22 20:25:21 - last edited 2023-03-22 20:27:11

@dictoresno 

No, don't skip the WAN Overrides, unless you want to re-enter your ISP info again (not a big deal if its DHCP, more effort if PPPoE or static IPs).

Otherwise, you've got it!  And, if you cloud connected your controller you can now manage it from any internet connected web browser (via https://omada.tplinkcloud.com) and/or the Omada app.

In fact, any attempt to directly manage the router via the web UI will be prevented as it's now under the control of your controller.

Options
2023-03-22 20:34:17 - last edited 2023-03-22 20:37:16

@d0ugmac1 

thanks again. i skipped the WAN overrides (i have DHCP) and everything connected just fine. no need for me to input any ISP information. its all set up and running fluidly with no downtime at all and the internet worked entirely in the background the whole time i was installing it and setting it up. I was able to complete the settings and adopt my ER605 without issue. I was then able to go into the DHCP settings and set up the reservations by copy/pasting the MACs and IP addresses and descriptions into the OC200's settings page. once i was timed out of my ER605's setting page, it told me it was under control of the OC200 and indicated the new IP address where to find it.

when i was out and about earlier, i used the controller app to update the firmware on my ER605 as it showed me a notification which was quick and painless. honestly, its completely overkill having the OC200 on my network, but its nice to have the option to remotely manage it when im not home and leave room for future omada based updates.

i just wish there was a way to somewhat incorporate the non-omada devices into the OC200. or at least a way to properly map out my network. the Decos are working fine managing my wireless network, but i wish there was a way to let the OC200 know its there and monitor it to some degree. but i guess thats why they make the EAP access points.

Options
2023-03-22 21:09:38

@dictoresno Glad to hear you are up and running!

You can always make a suggestion in the 'Requests and Suggestions' forum about the other TPlink kit, maybe they'd actually consider some basic SNMP monitoring of other TPlink devices and then just integrate that info into the existing Omada controller reports...

Options
2023-03-22 21:16:53

@d0ugmac1 

I think I will do that. I think I will be able to sell more controllers to people that want to be abl

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 498

Replies: 8

Related Articles