Up date for OC200 V2 controller not available in US?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-18 14:20:22 - last edited 2023-04-25 01:57:55
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 5.7.6

I have a OC200 controller running 5.7.6 firmware. Under maintenance pressing the "Check for Upgrade" produces a pop up that says "up to date". There is not other means I see to upgrade the controller. Just curious as to the announcement of the 5.9 for the OC200 V1/V2 and there doesn't seem to be a mechanism to employ the upgrade. What am I overlooking?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Up date for OC200 V2 controller not available in US?-Solution
2023-04-19 07:54:30 - last edited 2023-04-25 01:57:55

Hello @Kash01976

Thank you for your valued feedback. @OrangeStreet Sorry that the OC200/OC300 5.9.32 firmware is not uploaded to the cloud, so updating via the "check for upgrades" button is not working. 

Since the 5.9.32 is a major firmware upgrade, it's suggested to manually upgrade the firmware via local access as what Hoamboy previously mentioned, and you can follow the post below for the release notes and firmware download link.

Omada Hardware Controller_V5.9.32 (Released On Apr 14th, 2023)

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-04-19 11:49:23 - last edited 2023-04-25 01:58:01

@AstronomyGuy @Kash01976 @Hoamboy @Fae 

So - I solved this issue. You MUST be logged in to a device locally on the same LAN and connect to the OCXXX via the local IP address and once you do that THEN you will see the "manual upgrade" option. When you follow the instructions for the manual upgrade it then works just fine but you will need a local FTP/TFTP/SCP server in place, which I did by setting up FTP on a local PC. I was able to do all of this by connecting to the OPENVPN server on my omada firewall and running everything remotely but from a  "local" PC.

Half of this is NOT documented in the upgrade docs and should be - nothing is said about it only working locally and the fact that the "check for upgrades" button still doesn't work even when logged in locally seems strange. At this time upgrading manually is the ONLY option, but it does work. The last time the included upgrade instructions were updated was June of 2020 and even the screenshots are wrong as things have changed quite a bit. TP link needs to get on the ball and get their documentation fixed.

Please clarify this procedure in the documentation, it would help greatly.

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Up date for OC200 V2 controller not available in US?
2023-04-18 14:22:28 - last edited 2023-04-18 14:23:19

I have the OC300 V1 running 5.7.6 and the same problem. When I download the latest firmware and look at the instructions they do not apply to my version. The instructions are from 6/29/2020 - which makes no sense. I have the same "check for updates" button which says I am current.

Options
2023-04-18 16:51:25 - last edited 2023-04-18 16:56:01

@AstronomyGuy @Fae 

Fae  - you replied with a link and from that link it says this about wired controllers:

(2) The firmware upgrades for the wired products including Omada Controller, Router and Switch are universal, so you can download the firmware files from the global "EN" website or this forum to enjoy the new release. For wireless products such as Omada EAP, due to the limitation of local wireless laws and regulations, the firmware may be divided into different versions such as EU/US/CA/... , it's suggested to upgrade firmware from the local TP-Link official website accordingly.

The ability to download then upload to the controller (as shown in the old documentation) is not available when trying from the cloud interface. DO I have to login locally to the controller on the LAN for this to be available instead of through the cloud?

Options
2023-04-18 17:33:58 - last edited 2023-04-18 17:36:43

@OrangeStreet 

Always update devices and controller firmware through local access if possible.

Devices might behave unforeseeable, get stuck in upgrade process or even get bricked when triggering updates through the cloud.

And last but not least you can always download the latest software for your OC300 here and upgrade manually:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/oc300/#Firmware

Options
2023-04-18 17:53:45

@Hoamboy I've changed my DNS servers to googles as per your suggestion to see what happens but it isn't clear on your response to the upgrade question. My question is if the "upgrade from file" appears when on the LAN and does not in the cloud? I'm going to test this theory from a remote connection to a PC on the same LAN as my controller and see if it is any different. Thanks

Options
2023-04-19 05:49:30

@Fae 

Being logged in from the Master account still does not show cloud upgrade/update option. I have 6 Controllers which are remote and one local, the local was done via Maintenance > and than file upload.

However all the controllers on the 6 remote sites when checked for update , respond with "latest firmware installed". (5.7.6)

Thx and Regards

Options
2023-04-19 07:54:30 - last edited 2023-04-25 01:57:55

Hello @Kash01976

Thank you for your valued feedback. @OrangeStreet Sorry that the OC200/OC300 5.9.32 firmware is not uploaded to the cloud, so updating via the "check for upgrades" button is not working. 

Since the 5.9.32 is a major firmware upgrade, it's suggested to manually upgrade the firmware via local access as what Hoamboy previously mentioned, and you can follow the post below for the release notes and firmware download link.

Omada Hardware Controller_V5.9.32 (Released On Apr 14th, 2023)

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-04-19 11:49:23 - last edited 2023-04-25 01:58:01

@AstronomyGuy @Kash01976 @Hoamboy @Fae 

So - I solved this issue. You MUST be logged in to a device locally on the same LAN and connect to the OCXXX via the local IP address and once you do that THEN you will see the "manual upgrade" option. When you follow the instructions for the manual upgrade it then works just fine but you will need a local FTP/TFTP/SCP server in place, which I did by setting up FTP on a local PC. I was able to do all of this by connecting to the OPENVPN server on my omada firewall and running everything remotely but from a  "local" PC.

Half of this is NOT documented in the upgrade docs and should be - nothing is said about it only working locally and the fact that the "check for upgrades" button still doesn't work even when logged in locally seems strange. At this time upgrading manually is the ONLY option, but it does work. The last time the included upgrade instructions were updated was June of 2020 and even the screenshots are wrong as things have changed quite a bit. TP link needs to get on the ball and get their documentation fixed.

Please clarify this procedure in the documentation, it would help greatly.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-04-20 00:50:15

Hello @OrangeStreet 

Thank you for your valuable feedback. The documentation will be updated soon.

Options
2023-04-23 13:03:14

A work around if you insist to update te OC200/300 on distance is to create a VPN connection with the site and update it from there. This is also what I did for one of my cuatomers. But do it only on an hour where they don't need their internet and be prepared for if something goes wrong. Updating the OC200 made the internet connection getting connected and disconnected several times. Router got configured and disconnected several times. Luckily everything became normal after 1 hour of waiting.

Security Advisor in the Netherlands. Main interest in Omada products for CCTV networks.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 941

Replies: 9

Related Articles