LAG on ER8411?

LAG on ER8411?
LAG on ER8411?
2023-04-28 17:58:43
Model: ER8411  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a few of these ER8411 routers - the ports and performance look really excellent - but I have not been able to determine if this router supports LAG / trunking (static or dynamic) on the LAN ports; can anyone answer this for me?

Thanks!

-f

Options
5 Reply
Re:LAG on ER8411?
2023-09-23 03:49:28

@Nlx I'm not an expert but I've searched the manual and can't find anything. Nearest I can get is the WAN ports in a multi-WAN setup can be configured as load sharing, but that's splitting, not recombinant at the other end, so it doesn't do the job. But there IS one 10 Gbps SFP WAN/LAN port . I have a 2.5 Gbps QNAP NAS hanging off that (I purchased the 10 G ethernet SFP module for the ER8411) and that seems to be working ok at 2.5 Gbps to my NAS, so now I don't need the LAG in my application. I can't drive the NAS at 2.5 from a single device, but at the moment my other endpoints are all 1 Gbps or lower. Working on that when my ship comes in. Here's a pic of my NAS LAN page:

(As an aside: there's another 10 G WAN-ONLY SFP port on the ER8411 that won't talk with my 1000 Mbps DOCSIS ethernet port, more's the pity. The Omada OC200 controller says I can configure the SFP to 1000 Mbps, but when I do the controller then rejects the setting).

Paul
Options
2023-12-25 07:30:08

@paulrob I don't feel that the Load Balancing algorithim is very sophisticated on the ER8411.  It would be great if that part could be improved with a new firmware upgrade.  I am using WAN from cellular combined with WAN from fiber ... the ping of the Fiber is about 2ms while the Cellualr is around 10ms.  It would be great if the algo could have a table of websites that need fast ping time (gamining sites or voip sites) and then the cellular could pickup the slower lag stuff.  In my case I have the very unusual case where the fastest Fiber I can get is 100mbps while on my cellular WAN's I am getting over 1Gbps.  I recently got some new 5G routers with 2.5G output and will use the SFP port and SFP+ ports to see if I can take advantage of the 2.5G port of the new mmwave cellular connections.  

Options
2023-12-26 01:45:46

Hi @spearq8 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

spearq8 wrote

@paulrob I don't feel that the Load Balancing algorithim is very sophisticated on the ER8411.  It would be great if that part could be improved with a new firmware upgrade.  I am using WAN from cellular combined with WAN from fiber ... the ping of the Fiber is about 2ms while the Cellualr is around 10ms.  It would be great if the algo could have a table of websites that need fast ping time (gamining sites or voip sites) and then the cellular could pickup the slower lag stuff.  In my case I have the very unusual case where the fastest Fiber I can get is 100mbps while on my cellular WAN's I am getting over 1Gbps.  I recently got some new 5G routers with 2.5G output and will use the SFP port and SFP+ ports to see if I can take advantage of the 2.5G port of the new mmwave cellular connections.  

Load balance algo and low lag are different concepts and unrelated. Load balancing is quite clear and you can search anywhere and know what it does and its advantages and disadvantages.

If you seek low lag or optimized balance between the connections, you should use QoS.

Bear in mind that we are not a gaming router manufacturer and this model belongs to the business product line. So we don't plan to maintain or add any routing tables to help you optimize your gaming experience. You may take a look at the home products where you might find gaming routers.

Besides that, load balancing algo is not gonna keep a list of tables. It is not how it works.

In summary, you should set QoS up instead of other stuff.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-12-29 07:34:26

I think I have discovered something that is hugely affecting lag.  I am using a 5G router that is hooked by Gateway to the owner of the router.  Not only that, all the numbers of the owner of the router (subscriber) can be viewed by anyone using the ER8411.  To prevent that I used the Webfilter and chose to use "keyword" to block those webpages.  I figured this would be an easy fix ... but apparently turning the webfiltering on with "keyword" has a DRAMATIC affect on performance.  Almost a 5X drop in performance of usable bandwidth ... and pages just take forever to open when you click on them.  This must be a bug and for now I have turned off webfiltering and removed that router from the Load Balance configuration.

Options
2023-12-30 08:57:27

@Nlx 

The 8411 does not support Link Aggregation (LAG), at least it doesn't in the latest firmware and with Omada controller version 5.13.24

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 631

Replies: 5

Related Articles