Poor Wifi Signal

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Poor Wifi Signal

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Poor Wifi Signal
Poor Wifi Signal
2023-05-05 23:06:57 - last edited 2023-06-06 12:30:07
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: Ver 4.0

Hello Everyone:

I have the 3 pack of the Deco X20. I'm having problems with signal strength. The units are located as follows: 1 in house beside the router, 2nd one is in an outbuilding which is approximately 80-90 feet from our main house (where the 1st unit is located), the 3rd unit is located in my garage which is about 100 plus feet from the main unit. All 3 have been working properly until yesterday when the garage unit went offline. 

I have no idea what happened. I'd like some advice in getting my WiFi signal to be stronnger in order for these units to work properly. I require these to work as we have several security cameras on the property to monitor for when we are absent from the property. To better clarify our property etc, all 3 buildings are located fairly close toeach other. The only building which is furthest from the main Deco unit would be the garage. The 2nd unit is in an outbuilding which we use for when company arrives. It's basiclly our 4th bedroom and 2nd bathroom but in a totally separate building (ie bunkie).

As technology is always changing it's hard keeping up with what's happening. It seems that everyone must have a cell phone or computer to "survive" this world. all I want is help in getting my WiFi signal from my house to the garage and not cost me a fortune. I've seeked advice from individuals at Best Buy but the items I purchased from their recommendations was a waste of my time and money. fortunatelyI was able to return them for a full refund.

Can anyone out there assist me? I'm sure you may require further information which I'd be happy to provide but you'll have to bear with me as some of this stuff can be confusing and out of my paygrade.

Thank you all for your time, and I look forward to receiving some proper guideance.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Poor Wifi Signal-Solution
2023-05-06 03:53:16 - last edited 2023-06-06 12:30:13

@Chevelle Hi, welcome to the community.

The location of the 3 Decos:

• 1 in the house beside the router
  • 2nd one is in an outbuilding that is approximately 80-90 feet from our main house (where the 1st unit is located)
  • 3rd unit is located in my garage which is about 100 plus feet from the main unit.

They are not so close to each other. Did they use to connect each other wirelessly (via Wi-Fi Backhaul), or Ethernet cables?

Since there aren't so many mobile clients, the main issue we need to consider is the distance between each Deco node. If you are able to run cables through the three buildings, it would be excellent and no more additional products are required.

If it is impossible to run cables, do you still wish to keep the 3-pack Deco X20, or totally go for a different model?

And are these three buildings under the same electric meter? Have you ever used any Home Plug AV powerline adapters before?

https://www.tp-link.com/en/powerline-adapter/

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-06-06 15:50:50 - last edited 2023-06-06 16:03:04

@ampx 

Hello:

Thank you for your response.

I'm not too technical when itcomes to this stuff. So, if possible could you help explain these Tp-Link units in the linkyou sent? My real concern is to not haveto use an ethernet connection. It would be extremly difficult to accomplish that. Are the units referred in the link wireless? 

The garage building isn't that far away so anything under a kilometer ofr mile would do the trick? The real confusing aspect of this situation is the actual setup. There is some mention that these units are connected via an ethernet cable? I can't do that but need something that is wireless.

Could you walk me through which would be the best unit so that I can get a proper signal to my garage? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Regards

Chevelle

Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
2023-05-06 03:53:16 - last edited 2023-06-06 12:30:13

@Chevelle Hi, welcome to the community.

The location of the 3 Decos:

• 1 in the house beside the router
  • 2nd one is in an outbuilding that is approximately 80-90 feet from our main house (where the 1st unit is located)
  • 3rd unit is located in my garage which is about 100 plus feet from the main unit.

They are not so close to each other. Did they use to connect each other wirelessly (via Wi-Fi Backhaul), or Ethernet cables?

Since there aren't so many mobile clients, the main issue we need to consider is the distance between each Deco node. If you are able to run cables through the three buildings, it would be excellent and no more additional products are required.

If it is impossible to run cables, do you still wish to keep the 3-pack Deco X20, or totally go for a different model?

And are these three buildings under the same electric meter? Have you ever used any Home Plug AV powerline adapters before?

https://www.tp-link.com/en/powerline-adapter/

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Poor Wifi Signal
2023-05-06 12:34:38 - last edited 2023-06-06 16:02:48

@David-TP 

Hello David:

Thank you for your reply.

I'm not technology savvy in this type of situation. However, I'm open for any opinions, instructions etc in order to boost my internet signal.

Using an ethernet cable is not possible as the distance to each building is too great/far. The 2nd building which I refer to as the cottage the signal is fine as I can get internet out there. I guess the problem area is the 3rd unit which is located in the garage which always had a weak signal and my security camera would work periodically. 

So, would I need 1 Wi-Fi extender or 2? I'm having a difficult time understanding the power line extenders and how they operate. Are they wireless or do you require an ethernet cable? I've actually have tried a Wi-Fi extender from TP Link (which plugged into an electrical socket and had an antenna which didn't make any difference. So, would the TL-WPA4220 be what I need?

I'm open to any suggestions that would help me get better Wi-Fi coverage. 

Thank you again for helping me get some results.

Regards

Options
2023-05-06 12:54:31

@David-TP 

Hello David:

I forgot to inform you about the electrical.

The 2nd building (cottage) has its own power box (electrical/fuse box) same goes for the garage. 

Hope this helps you further.

Regards 

Options
2023-06-06 12:37:11

@David-TP 

Hi David:

I'm still having WiFi signal problems to my garage.

How can I extend the WiFi signal from the house (where the router is) to my garage? The garage has a separate electrical panel box for your information. Are there TP-Link products that don't require wiring (plug in) that I can use? 

Any suggestions/help/comments would be very helpful. I have cameras that don't work due to poor WiFi signal. I require these cameras to work for security reasons.

I look forward to hearing from you or anyone who may have had the same problem.

Thanks foryour time.

Regards

Chevelle

Options
2023-06-06 14:43:48 - last edited 2023-06-06 14:44:39

@Chevelle 5GHz WiFi generally won't travel far enough and 2.4GHz might reach but you're probably pushing it with equipment like Decos that feature small antennas and having them installed indoors vs outdoors.

Ethernet between the buildings would really be your best bet.

I saw mention that the buildings may be too far from one another for this, but Ethernet can run more than 300ft without signal degradation so you'd be fine from a distance perspective. This would involve some work to do properly, though. You'd ideally trench between buildings and run the Ethernet inside of a PVC conduit.

Alternatively, outdoor point to point units between the buildings may work, something like https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/outdoor-radio/cpe510/

Options
2023-06-06 15:50:50 - last edited 2023-06-06 16:03:04

@ampx 

Hello:

I'm not too technical when itcomes to this stuff. So, if possible could you help explain these Tp-Link units in the linkyou sent? My real concern is to not haveto use an ethernet connection. It would be extremly difficult to accomplish that. Are the units referred in the link wireless? 

The garage building isn't that far away so anything under a kilometer ofr mile would do the trick? The real confusing aspect of this situation is the actual setup. There is some mention that these units are connected via an ethernet cable? I can't do that but need something that is wireless.

Could you walk me through which would be the best unit so that I can get a proper signal to my garage? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Regards

Chevelle

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-06-06 15:58:00 - last edited 2023-06-06 15:58:51

@Chevelle 

Hello 

As you are relying on a wireless backhaul so no cables between the satelites you will get better results from the satelites in a Tri-band Mesh system as the Deco x20 is only dual band. Budget option 3 pack of Deco M9 plus ( wifi 5 only but still decent ) or 3 Pack XE75 ( newer and wifi 6 ). 

Also what does the Deco app say is the signal strength between the wireless satelites as in general should be strong signal. ( currently running a 3 pack of Deco M9s over 3 floors and 25 devices connected. I think you can have up to 6 satelites in a mesh and the good thing about the Decos is you can add different models together but the main deco should be the strongest one

Not a big fan of powerline adapters but they have there uses. 

Regards

Options
2023-06-06 16:15:36

@IntrovertSins 

Hi There:

As stated initially on this forum, I'm not too technical when it comes to this type of issue.

I'm not sure what you are referring to in your 2nd paragraph of your reply.

My situation is maybe different than others. What my situation is I have 3 buildings with 3 Deco's in each building. The first building is our house (main) where the router is located. Building #2 we call "The Cottage" (where we house guests etc) has the second Deco, and building #3 is the garage. The garage is the problem spot which has a weak WiFi signal.

I'd like to somehow get a stronger signal in the garage without going through the process of digging up our lot and installing ethernet cable as it is almost impossible given the terrain etc. 

Are the Deco units you are referring to able to broadcast a better signal? I appreciate your time in helping me out!

Thanks

Chevelle

Options
2023-06-06 16:27:14 - last edited 2023-06-06 16:28:21

If you open the TP link Deco app either on your Iphone or Android phone you can see the status of your network. ( connection between the main deco ( the one connected to the internet/ Modem and the satellites This link has a good few screenshots and info

TP Link Deco App support

Having a triband mesh system will mean the connection between the system and further devices will be faster. But does seem like you need to add a deco or 2 in between the furthest satellites. Not sure if TP link offer a technical support line you can get someone to talk you through what to look for. Good luck.

Options
2023-06-06 16:43:15

@IntrovertSins 

Hello IntrovertSins:

Thanks for your quick response.

Checking the signals in my 2 outbuildings it's stron at the cottage and medium at the garage goes from 1- 22-49 Kbps download and 2-13-45 Kbps upload (they are both fluctuating). If I require another Deco in between which one(s) would you suggest?

I have in the past reached out to Tp-Link and one of their technicians has responded to this post. However, when I responded to him again with some questions/info I never received a response. Perhaps I'll follow up.

Thanks again for your info.

Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 863

Replies: 12

Related Articles