ER8411 OpenVPN/SSL VPN Issue

ER8411 OpenVPN/SSL VPN Issue

36 Reply
Re:ER8411 OpenVPN/SSL VPN Issue
3 hours ago - last edited 3 hours ago

Hi @Clive_A  

Clive_A wrote

I posted the 1.2.2 official release last Saturday. It is not a beta anymore. See the pinned post? 

Ahhh great, thanks.. is this any different to the last beta do you know, I have downloaded both and they both have exactly the same file name, should i upgrade to the official release, or would the very last beta be the exact same? 

Options

Hi @@Clive_A 

Clive_A wrote

Hi @gskips 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

In addition, what's your WAN type? MTU and MSS?

Change the MTU and MSS to 1450 and 1350 correspondingly. As NordVPN provides 1500 and 1450. That could be a reason why it disconnects gradually.

I gave this a go yesterday, and sadly, i experienced the disconnection issues with the lowered MTU and MSS - definitely worth a go though, thanks

Options

Hi @Clive_A 

Clive_A wrote

ER605 V2 does not disconnect at all or you did notice it?
I don't have much trust in third-party vendors as they have different rules on their end to restrict. One of the reasons we don't keep the latest OVPN version on the devices is that the encryption is already good enough and we advertise our products to connect with our servers mostly.

Not deny that you can use a third-party router or server, yet we are more prone to advise you to use the recommended way as we have tested them

No the ER605 V2 did not have any dissconnect issues, just due to the hardware, it had VERY slow connection speeds, which is why I upgraded to the 8411

Clive_A wrote

No.

I'd point out that how you research this is not correct. If you track down "Internet Issues", you can data this back to 10 years ago. You got people having trouble with the DNS/Internet/(or maybe Windows activation or bootup) in 2024. Will that be a problem with the product itself? That's not how you think of a product.

For example, I don't experience a DNS problem when I host a DNS server because I optimize my DNS servers and local networks. During the optimization phase, I know what I did and I am capable of troubleshooting it. Clearly it is not a router's fault. It must be me not understanding the DNS settings and the way it works on the router. So, that's my lesson that when you try something not recommended for a product, you experience a problem, that still got possible errors you need to marginalize. 

I didn't experience a burnt 4090 on my computer, at the very first when it came out, was it to be a design flaw? Not really. People did more tests and methodological tests and fond out it was not the issue with the card. But the power supply connection fault at the installation. During their test(before and after the board is manufactured I believe every product does the same), they did not notice a problem with the recommended power supply and cables. Only comes to be a problem at the user's hands.

Hard to say it is a problem with the router. Notice when MR.S proposed this, this was a year ago. Early than that, before 8411, we never recommended NordVPN. It was until someone mentioned that Nord would work on our products, that we actually quoted that user experience to others. Before that, I recalled that there was a time when Nord did not work out on our products at all.

8411 was experiencing this problem and we reported this way early. I cannot recall the MR.S ticket. I took care of his ticket and that was during the COVID time(?). We did not track down the reason.

I am asking the team to evaluate the necessity of looking into third-party VPN vendors.

I doubt if there is a way for our device to locate the reason. VPN log is not available yet.

Try a 2.3.8 OVPN software on your computer and capture the log to see if there is a disconnection problem on it. And one newer 2.4.3 as well.

Yes, I understand your examples but not too sure they are fair, we are not just talking a sweeping "internet issues", from what I can see, there have been people bringing up the VPN issue for some time, specifically OVPN and using as a client. I fully understand that there are many areas that could be causing the problems.. I'll try the versions you suggest on a computer to see if there are the same disconnect issues.

I see you say that you never recommended NordVPN, which I totally understand, but I guess there's an assumption that if the 8411 (and in fact other Omada routers) offer the facility to use as a client for OVPN, then you'd assume it would work, as mentioned the 605v2 worked well.

Options
3 hours ago

Hi @Clive_A  

Clive_A wrote

Due to the regional issue, we are not able to use the NordVPN for tests. On my end, I have subscribed the NordVPN out of my pocket. I don't think I can make a connection at least I tried several different IPs I have.

Interesting, I have managed to make connection without fail with NordVPN... it's just maintaning it with UDP.

Also, of interest, following on from something MR.S I think mentioned. I have been trying NordVPN with a TCP OVPN connection and it's been solid. Running for a couple of days now, with no disconnection, and the 'up time' confirming. So OVPN definitely works as a client using TCP. The only downside is the TCP is running around 10% that of the UDP speeds... but I'd prefer a stable connection over speed, but hope, in the future that UDP will also become as stable, as the higher speeds is why I purchased the 8411 in the first place.

Options
2 hours ago

gskips wrote

Hi @Clive_A  

Clive_A wrote

Due to the regional issue, we are not able to use the NordVPN for tests. On my end, I have subscribed the NordVPN out of my pocket. I don't think I can make a connection at least I tried several different IPs I have.

Interesting, I have managed to make connection without fail with NordVPN... it's just maintaning it with UDP.

Also, of interest, following on from something MR.S I think mentioned. I have been trying NordVPN with a TCP OVPN connection and it's been solid. Running for a couple of days now, with no disconnection, and the 'up time' confirming. So OVPN definitely works as a client using TCP. The only downside is the TCP is running around 10% that of the UDP speeds... but I'd prefer a stable connection over speed, but hope, in the future that UDP will also become as stable, as the higher speeds is why I purchased the 8411 in the first place.

@gskips 

We are back to the core of the problem, UDP has been a problem with ER8411 from the very beginning, previously UDP did not work at all, now it works but is unstable. the speed that you say is terrible, for me it is 20 max 30 Mbps, when I compare with the ER706W which is a much weaker router, it is around 70-100Mbps against the same server and TCP.

Options
an hour ago

Hi @MR.S

MR.S wrote

We are back to the core of the problem, UDP has been a problem with ER8411 from the very beginning, previously UDP did not work at all, now it works but is unstable. the speed that you say is terrible, for me it is 20 max 30 Mbps, when I compare with the ER706W which is a much weaker router, it is around 70-100Mbps against the same server and TCP.

Interestingly, I found the speeds of UDP pretty good I was getting 300-400Mbps compared to 40-50Mbps with TCP (on a 500Mbs connection)...with the same server. So would be fab to use UDP if it became stable.

Options
Related Articles