planning advanced home network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-20 23:06:22 - last edited 2023-05-21 08:40:35

Hello guys and girls

Hoping to receive some advice here as I´m not sure how to go about this.

I will be moving into my new house in a few weeks. Its a 3 floor house and separate garage with a movie-room above.

3 bedrooms in ground-floor, 1 bedroom + livingroom + kitchen in first floor, home-office + tv-room  + guestroom in second floor.

The house has built-in Ethernet cables with double outlets in each room, all wired in a patch-panel in the technical room in ground floor. There is also one Ethernet cable going from the movie-room (garage) to the patch-panel in the technical room. Fiber from ISP is also in the technical-room.

edit: I should add that we are family of 5.  (3 kids streaming and gaming alot, including my wife and I. )

My plan is to implement an Omada eco-system to cover everything.  I will also be using VLANs to separate IoT, Guest, and Private network. Fiber contains both internet and TV-signal.

HOUSE:

5-6 PoE-ports (1x OC200, 1x Raspberry Pi running parental controls and working as a NAS, 1x IP-phone in the kitchen, 3x EAPs PoE-connected, 

Another 6 ports covering the TV+decoders and the surveilance camera-recorder unit (its a 4-PoE UDP port recorder connecting 2 PoE cameras) in house

GARAGE/movie-room:

1x PoE for an EAP + another 1-2 ports covering a decoder and or a TV.

Whats the best solution here? 1x router +1x OC200 + 2 - 3 switches? should all switches connect directly to router or in daisy or 2 switches to one switch to router? Or maybe 1 switch SG2218P in technical room and an EAP655 with its 3 ETH ports in garage will be sufficient.. i wonder if those eth-ports in the EAP655 are switchable..). I would also appreciate recommended models. How would you go about this if you were me?

Options
2 Reply
Re:planning advanced home network
2023-05-21 01:00:05

@Paulie1001 

OC200 is good if you don't want to run it on a server (not ARM/PI compatible). OC300 is overkill and not necessary for your needs.

Router options

a) 1 x ER605 v2 - probably enough and cheap

b) 1 x ER7206 - only consider it if you have specific VPN performance or complex firewall/filtering needs

Switch options

a) 1 x TL-SG3428XMP

• Pros:
    • Simplicity of one switch
    • Four SFP+ ports for future use
    • Lots of extra POE ports for future use
  • Cons:
    • Expensive

b) 1 x TL-SG2210MP and 1 x TL-SG2008

• Pros:
    • Less expensive
    • Some spare ports for future use
  • Cons:
    • Added complexity of two separate switches
    • Minimal spare POE ports
Options
Re:planning advanced home network
2023-05-22 07:20:48
@Paulie1001 I also think the OC200 is the most suitable in this case, it fits all the necessary criteria
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 351

Replies: 2

Related Articles