Advice to purchase secure router/modem for snail slow ADSL Broadband

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-17 14:04:41 - last edited 2023-09-07 14:52:21

I am surrounded by tolerable rural cable services, but stuck in a not-spot and lucky if I get 3.3 Mbps [best 3.45 Mbps] which has now just dropped to 1.7> down and .7up.< on the copper wire ADSL-2!!  You will note I am not a computer-versed person!

I have a Technicolor TG582n Pro which needs replacing badly.  Probably the first priority is security, then cost, best speed, user-friendly installation, and future-proofing is a good plan! I have not been able to get my head around the modem vs router thing!

I have just signed up to a VPN and note that this can also be incorporated into some routers. Is this an advantage?

In the hopes of one-day getting cable, what advice can anyone offer? The technical advisor at Curry's told me all new routers/modems [?] would run on either ADSL or cable/fibre. Is this true?

I do not use WiFi much. But I am trying to build up a CCTV system, could a WiFi router be of use for connecting Wi-Fi cameras or is it better to use a different reception hub system? - just thinking of the budget.

I would appreciate any comments.  Perhaps the TP-Link SafeStream ER605 would fit the bill?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Advice to purchase secure router/modem for snail slow ADSL Broadband-Solution
2023-06-20 03:19:05 - last edited 2023-09-07 14:52:21

@head_23scr8tchR 

Hello, 

ER605 is a business level router, which needs to connect internet via Ethernet cable and doesn't have Wi-Fi function.

To confirm whether you need a modem or a router, please check what kind of line/cable you have now, such as ADSL telephone line or Ethernet cable, if you need to connect ADSL telephone line, you will need an ADSL modem router, please select or check more information here: DSL Modem Routers | TP-Link

In addition, regarding your other questions, here are some question or information for you:

1. do you mean VPN Server or VPN Client feature? And what is the type of the VPN such as OpenVPN, PPTP VPN etc.?

Please note that some features might only be available on some models, or not supported at all, so we need to confirm it clearly

2. No matter it is ADSL or cable/fibre broadband, if there is already a modem, or if the line coming into your home is Ethernet cable, routers could work on either of them, however, if the line coming into your home is ADSL/cable/fibre line and no other modem, then you have to purchase corresponding modem.

3. For WiFi cameras, a regular Wi-Fi router should be fine, unless your cameras have any other special requirements.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Advice to purchase secure router/modem for snail slow ADSL Broadband-Solution
2023-06-20 03:19:05 - last edited 2023-09-07 14:52:21

@head_23scr8tchR 

Hello, 

ER605 is a business level router, which needs to connect internet via Ethernet cable and doesn't have Wi-Fi function.

To confirm whether you need a modem or a router, please check what kind of line/cable you have now, such as ADSL telephone line or Ethernet cable, if you need to connect ADSL telephone line, you will need an ADSL modem router, please select or check more information here: DSL Modem Routers | TP-Link

In addition, regarding your other questions, here are some question or information for you:

1. do you mean VPN Server or VPN Client feature? And what is the type of the VPN such as OpenVPN, PPTP VPN etc.?

Please note that some features might only be available on some models, or not supported at all, so we need to confirm it clearly

2. No matter it is ADSL or cable/fibre broadband, if there is already a modem, or if the line coming into your home is Ethernet cable, routers could work on either of them, however, if the line coming into your home is ADSL/cable/fibre line and no other modem, then you have to purchase corresponding modem.

3. For WiFi cameras, a regular Wi-Fi router should be fine, unless your cameras have any other special requirements.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 339

Replies: 1

Related Articles