AirPrint failing when wired

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-18 03:20:37
Tags: #mDNS
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2

I have a Brother MFC-L2700DW that uses AirPrint. When this devices is connected via WiFi, iOS clients in the same VLAN have no trouble connecting via AirPrint. When this printer is connected via ethernet in the same VLAN, those same iOS clients are rarely able to make a connection to the printer. Is there any configuration setting that may impair bonjour connecting a wireless client to a wired service advertiser in the same VLAN?

Options
5 Reply
Re:AirPrint failing when wired
2023-06-19 08:45:23

@nRayAffair 

Did you have mDNS settings? Do you have EAP? What is the model number of them?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-06-19 14:15:32 - last edited 2023-06-19 14:18:59

@Virgo 

Relevant network topology is:

ER605 v2 (2.1.2 firmware)

TL-SG2218         TL-SG2210MP

Printer                  EAP670 x2, EAP615 Wall

Clients

The described behavior of AirPrint failing occurs when the printer and client devices are on the same VLAN, so I'm not sure an mDNS rule should be needed. Will a multicast packet not transmit through the gateway on the same VLAN? Using the Flame iOS app to view broadcast services, I see the same set of advertised services whether the printer is wired or wireless. It's making the connection that is the issue. 

I have also set up mDNS gateway rules for the default Printer and Scanner bonjour services to try to make this printer visible to other VLANs with the same issue of not working when the printer is wired. But I also generally don't think mDNS is working correctly at all since none of my rules result in services being broadcast across VLANs when viewing advertised services in the Flame app (eg androidtvremote2 or spotify-connect). 

Options
2023-06-20 02:48:10

@nRayAffair 

Suggest you can install the Beta firmware of EAP670 in this link to test.

EAP650/EAP655-Wall | EAP650 | EAP670 | EAP653 May Drop Some IPv6 Packets.

Options
2023-06-20 02:57:25 - last edited 2023-06-20 02:57:40

@Virgo 

hmm. I'm not  IPv6 for anything and it's turned off for the VLAN of the printer. Could that still be affecting it?

Options
2023-06-21 01:44:24

@nRayAffair 

Uhm... as far as I'm concerned, this Beta version also fixed an mDNS-related issue since I had a similar one before, suggest you can have a try.

And this post I thought is very helpful, you can take a look.

Options