Client only connects to most distant access point even if client is bound to another access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Client only connects to most distant access point even if client is bound to another access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-19 10:12:23
Tags: #Roaming #wifi6
Model: EAP610-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.3

I have omada software controller (latest release 5.9.31) with 4 access points, 2 eap 245, 1 eap 225 outdoor and 1 eap 610 outdoor.

One of my clients (with wifi6) connects only to the most distant access point, the eap 610 outdoor. Even if client is in direct proximity to another access point, it connects always to the eap 610 as long as it's reachable. In difference to the other access points, a wifi6 connection can be established to the eap 610, the others don't support wifi6.

Even if there are connection failures due to wpa authentication timeouts (I can see them in the logs) the client always reconnects to this (wifi6) access point.

So is bound the client to another access point within the omada controller. This didn't work either. Client connects still to the eap 610. I see this as a bug. When a client is bound to an access point, other connections to other access points, managed by the omada controller, shouldn't be possible. Or is this "feature" only visible in the gui but not yet implemented?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Client only connects to most distant access point even if client is bound to another access point
2023-06-19 12:52:47

@S-K 

It might actually be a feature of your end user device to always prefer Wifi6 connections.  I don't think you can blame Omada...the client will generally choose it's AP.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
Re:Client only connects to most distant access point even if client is bound to another access point
2023-06-19 15:45:16

@d0ugmac1 I partially agree with you. If preferring wifi6 is implemented in the device's wifi controller, it's not an omada issue, when devices behave like this.

BUT within omada software controller I have also set up the device to only use the other access points. So connecting to the eap 610 outdoor should be rejected for this device. But these settings don't have any effects, my device still connects to the eap 610. This is buggy in my opinion.

Options
2023-06-19 15:49:01

@S-K 

What Omada setting(s) did you use to 'block' it?

For what it's worth, I just create multiple SSIDs...one for 2.4G only, one for 2.4+5.8 and one for all.  Devices are then given the password for the SSID that meets their needs.  I also create different WLAN profiles to regulate which APs receive which SSIDs.  Has been working well.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-06-19 20:04:05

@d0ugmac1 I chose the device (NB-011) from the device list. On the right hand side under "configuration" I enable something like "bind to ap" (I'm not familiar with the english settings). Below I picked one of my access points. Here's the German version:

As workaround I now use a different SSID, too. But this won't be my final solution.

Options
2023-06-28 16:58:51

@S-K I have the same issue here, I setup my home network with 2 eaps 610 indoor and 1 eap245 and my phone cannot roam between eap610 and 245, not sure for this case, do we have any resolution yet? I tried everything, reboot, turn off wifi then turn on again hoping it will connect to the nearest access point which is eap 245, but still cannot although it just gets 1 bar for the wifi signal 

Options
2023-06-28 17:51:24

@Giang97 I guess it's just your client that is preferring wifi6. Hence there won't be a solution provided by TP-Link. Unfortunately the feature for binding a device to one ore more access points (excluding the one you don't want to connect to) is buggy and doesn't work at all. As a workaround you could try to disable wifi6 or try to setup your wireless lans as mentioned in post #4.

Options
2023-06-29 11:34:42

@S-K 

What exactly do you mean by "wifi6"?  Are you meaning 6GHz, which is actually wifi6e?  If so, that client is probably simply favoring the 6GHz frequency over all others and if that's the cause, and you can't configure it's preference, you're pretty much stuck and should consider upgrading your other APs if 6GHz is that important to you.

As for trying to bind devices to APs, there is a false impression of how that actually works and is making you think there's a bug.  When it comes to wifi, the decision of what APs to join and how is ALWAYS determined by the client...period.  The access points can't force the client to do anything.  Access points can provide clients a list of available APs, give "suggestions" on which AP a client to connect/roam to and when, or force disassociate a client due to a set threshold for RSSI, AP "binding" etc.  But no wireless network can truly force a client to connect to any specific AP.

There can also be issues caused by both AP vendors and client vendors not fully adhering to the various standards like 802.11v/r/k and so on.  In my experience, TP-Link has implemented these quite well and my Apple devices roam very smoothly between 3 APs in my home.  Do you have "Fast Roaming" enabled under your site settings and 802.11r in the SSID itself?  It may also be a good idea to enable "Force-Disassociate" in your site settings.

Apple has a very good article explaining the function of 802.11 k/r/v: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202628

Options