Connect to OpenVPN tunnel on ER605

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-28 20:10:22
Tags: #VPN
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2 Build 20230210 Rel.62992

I just started using the ER605 2 days ago and feel I'm missing something regarding the VPN Client setup.

Quick topology: 

2 WAN links setup to load balance

Stand-alone mode

No active VLANs (as of yet)

One device is connected to the ER605 and that is a wireless router in AP mode servicing all LAN clients.

All is working as expected.  I created an OpenVPN client connect successfully and enabled it.

This connection comes straight from a NordVPN OVPN file, fwiw.

I have an active tunnel as well.

My issue is how do I use it?  I would like to have a device within my LAN be able to use this VPN tunnel.  Proxy doesn't seem to work.  There is no documented way that I have found to bind it to an interface.

On the forum I have found a few notes from members setting this up, much like I have but no mention of using it.  I found a note about VPN Client setup regarding wireless routers that mention a Device List where a network device can be authorized to use a VPN client tunnel but that doesn't work here as there is no Device List.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Connect to OpenVPN tunnel on ER605
2023-06-29 05:50:44 - last edited 2023-06-29 06:24:00

@MAHenton 

as you are using OpenVPN as the client, there are two common applications of this.

1. use it like this. nothing else. you only access the remote subnet for the resources. once your IP address matches the remote subnet, you'll be routed to the remote subnet via the vpn tunnel. therefore, you can access the resources on that remote subnet.

2. use it with policy routing. you set up a policy routing rule. in this rule, you specify the subnet you are gonna route. e.g. 192.168.10.100-192.168.10.200, this range will be only using this vpn tunnel for connection. it's not gonna use your WAN as the NAT. everything will be routed to the remote OpenVPN gateway. this is the proxy. of course, your openvpn server allows full tunnel mode. and allow all traffic to be proxied. 

well, I don't recall policy routing available for OpenVPN. i do remember you can do this with the l2tp vpn. you can give it a go. 

tbh, you should import the certificate to the individual device when you want to use the vpn prxoy.

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 679

Replies: 1

Tags

Related Articles